Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This small area turned white overnight. It hasn't rained over a week and it's been sunny and very windy. Temp 60-78. Always full sun.
It was last watered 4 days ago. It doesn't appear to be powdery mildew though. It was laid 5 weeks ago and had been doing very well until this morning. What might have caused this? It's only this spot, roughly the size of a keyboard :cry:

The last two pics taken 24 hours later.

Plant Grass Hedge Terrestrial plant Groundcover
Plant Grass Hedge Terrestrial plant Groundcover
s
Terrestrial plant Font Water Circle Asphalt
Plant Grass Asphalt Terrestrial plant Road surface

Plant Leaf Vegetation Grass Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also have this small round patch in another area. It first appears more than 2 weeks ago. Fallen leaves had covered this spot and we had some heavy rains around that time. Possums are also active in this spot because there are tree branches overhead. Unlike the larger whitish patch, this one looks like rotten/fungus related.

Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Flowering plant Shrub

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Grass family

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Flowering plant

Terrestrial plant Finger Grass Close-up Wood

Arthropod Insect Finger Terrestrial plant Grass

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day 3
Seller told me it looked like dehydration and suggested that I water daily for the next 2 weeks to see if there's any change. As time passes, it's turning more brown.
Plant community Plant Grass Groundcover Shrub

Plant Groundcover Shrub Grass Terrestrial plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass Grassland

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like something was spilled there.
I know... jealous neighbors I reviewed cctv footage but didn't find any concrete evidence. There was one guy walking his dog with a container in his hand and noticing the cameras but the recording froze for a few seconds while he was passing by!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That does look like a spill from those latest photos.
It does, but I have a dried up area of the same grass in the front yard and it looks exactly the same. The only difference is the brown area inside the front yard is right on the edge whereas this mysterious patch outside is kinda in the middle surrounded by green grass.

I wish I knew what caused this. Also I would think cctv would’ve captured the moment when someone spilled something but nothing.

·
Registered
Front yard - QLD Blue Couch, Back yard - Empire Zoysia (japonica)
1 Posts
I have very similar (almost identical) patches on my 3 month old Empire Zoysia in the back yard. Caused by dog urine from my 12 year old female.

By the look of the photos, this is on the nature strip / footpath at the front of your property?

Unfortunately, the patches on my EZ lawn have not recovered very quickly (in comparison to QLD blue couch).

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
That looks like dog piss to be honest. Something burned it up, a spill or pee or something of that sort.

It’s pretty well shaped to be natural, so if you don’t have debris under there, or someone left something on the yard in the sun, it’s dog pee or someone dumped something on the yard.

I see this construction stuff in the photos. Someone could have set down some metal or something in the sun too. It’ll burn the grass, I had the same issues when getting my roof replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have very similar (almost identical) patches on my 3 month old Empire Zoysia in the back yard. Caused by dog urine from my 12 year old female.

By the look of the photos, this is on the nature strip / footpath at the front of your property?

Unfortunately, the patches on my EZ lawn have not recovered very quickly (in comparison to QLD blue couch).
Yes, it's near the kerb. After almost two weeks, I see new green blades emerging at last.
Normally our CCTVs capture any movement but it could be the urine burn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That looks like dog piss to be honest. Something burned it up, a spill or pee or something of that sort.

It’s pretty well shaped to be natural, so if you don’t have debris under there, or someone left something on the yard in the sun, it’s dog pee or someone dumped something on the yard.

I see this construction stuff in the photos. Someone could have set down some metal or something in the sun too. It’ll burn the grass, I had the same issues when getting my roof replaced.
Would dog urine leave that perfect rectangular shape? I thought it would be smaller and rounder.

That is just the barricade to cordon off the area during the establishment period because it's outside the property boundary.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts