Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
dfw_pilot said:
Huff said:
I've got a couple of neighbors that I'd be happy if they used anything on their lawns. Weed and feed would be better than nothing.
While that's technically true, I think the point of places like TLF or excellent YT channels is to educate and push people toward better practices, not just leave them with the easiest "solution" and kind of leave it there.

Something is usually better than nothing. Usually. But something should be the first step of a journey to somewhere better, not just the end of the road, when it comes to learning about lawn care. People who visit TLF or watch lawn channels hopefully want to get further than just the bottom rung of the ladder.
That's how I take BYD and why I don't criticize him like I do someone like Doc. He's quite explicit in that his videos are for the average home owner that wants to run down to a big box store and find something to fix any lawn deficiencies. I haven't followed any of his tips but I do think he has filled a niche that the vast majority of my neighbors fall into.

· Registered
132 Posts
I like BYD, like he states he is for the average homeowner. Most of the guys here are a little
passed average with turf knowledge. I will say no lawn is the same, I'd say take a little from each YouTuber & knowledge from here to apply. Try your best to make the best well informed decision you can.

PS.
Some of the arrogance said about the YouTubers can be said about some of the guys in the forum

· Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
3,234 Posts
Bermuda_Rooster said:
Slim 1938 said:
Lawn care life is alright and Ron Henry is good too.
I think Ron could work on his presentation but he seems like a good dude who both likes to share knowledge and likes to keep learning.
I like Ron, but I feel like he presents himself as a turf expert while being a bit more basic in his knowledge. He's geared a bit towards smaller lawns too as some of the products and practices he's shown carry serious price tags for lawns over 10,000 sq ft. If I remember correctly, he stated his lawn is roughly 12k. I followed him a bit this summer but haven't seen anything he posted since about September.

· Registered
Front - Couch, Buff, Fescue Mix Rear - Buffalo
433 Posts
My view. Average Aussie land size per house is 450m2 - 5000ft2

If your lawn is over 450m2 - 5000ft2. You need to be looking at the Agicultural shops for bulk fertiliser.
The average Bunnings, Mitre10 etc. (Lowes, Home Depot etc) not cost effective.
Even some "Special Youtube Over Promoted Brands" are at a top end premium.

Most people who promote "Their" products are compensated in some way by free products to "try", Youtube View Counts, "Discounted" but still paid partially by "Them", Mates of Mates.

· Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,577 Posts
Yeah, I'm over almost all lawncare YouTube channels as they are all just becoming the same BS regurgitated over and over again. Everyone has there own little twist and some of them think they are better than others but most of them are all trying to sell you something instead of teaching you how to save money doing it yourself. After you have watched a handful of videos from various producers, it's basically like watching the same show with different actors.

· Registered
1,690 Posts
quattljl said:
Are there any channels out there specifically for the fine bladed zoysias? Seems every channel that covers warm season lawns have either St. Aug or Bermuda. Even though LCN has zoysia in his side yard, it is the wide bladed Empire, which (from what little I've found out there) has different maintenance suggestions compared to Emerald or Zeon and the like.
You might be better off on the lib cesspool called twitter, some golf supers.

Just an observation, Bermuda is cheap and forgiving (aside from summer 'honey, I scalped my lawn again' ) -> widely Deployed by corporate builders
Zoysias u mention, generally deployed on upper end homes, then even larger % of those ...are not maintained by homeowners.
Therefore eyeballs aren't there

· Registered
76 Posts
I like the Docs videos and he doesn't seems to stick only to grass. I tend to skip the beach house ones. Say what you want but his grass looks nice. Dude seems to have endless money.

Ryan and Connor videos are also good. Ryan's videos are what got me to try out Simple lawn solutions products. I'm a big fan of Lawn energizer foliar spray.

Recently I have gotten into watching the Lawn Tools videos. Same as Doc and Ryan though he seems to promote Lawn star products.

Connor is the only one that doesn't really "sell". Every one of these guys have huge lawns that look nice so I tend to listen and take in what applies.

For some odd reason my 6 y.o loves watching the Copper Creek landscaping videos. He likes seeing the long ugly yards get trimmed down.

· Registered
329 Posts
jayhawk said:

Just an observation, Bermuda is cheap and forgiving (aside from summer 'honey, I scalped my lawn again' ) -> widely Deployed by corporate builders
Zoysias u mention, generally deployed on upper end homes, then even larger % of those ...are not maintained by homeowners.
I guess I have an upper end home then haha. I inherited mine when we bought our house this past year. Zoysia wouldn't be my first pick usually but it's what I've got to work with so might as well dominate with it.

· Registered
57 Posts
Heres some nobody has mentioned, yes I am a youtube junkie lol
Yard envy(arden 77 bermuda from mississipi)
premier lawns(cool season)
Dons lawns
Pest and lawn ginja
reel low bermuda
reel bob shady
ryandelk04
Shane Heath
Silver Cymbal
Sunny bermuda
T, Winnings
The average lawn guy
The lawn channel
The lawn shark
The southern reel mower

· Registered
57 Posts
quattljl said:
Are there any channels out there specifically for the fine bladed zoysias? Seems every channel that covers warm season lawns have either St. Aug or Bermuda. Even though LCN has zoysia in his side yard, it is the wide bladed Empire, which (from what little I've found out there) has different maintenance suggestions compared to Emerald or Zeon and the like.
Check out A to zoysia on youtube. Not sure what specific zoysia he has. I know he sells zoysia plugs too

· Registered
568 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
After you have watched a handful of videos from various producers, it's basically like watching the same show with different actors.
You're right, but let's face it - many of us watch Youtube lawn care videos as much for the entertainment value as the informational value (the Lawn Tools switcheroo with their wives video was high on the entertainment scale). I've watched massive amounts of lawn care videos the past 12 months, and while the basics have been covered a million times, each Youtuber seems to give slightly different perspectives which really help. For example, BYD actually shows you how to shop for fertilizers in store but never touches reel mowing, while Doc is more oriented toward a higher-end yard budget.

Two of my favorites recently are Rob the Average Lawn Guy and Ron Henry. Average Lawn Guy covers basic topics but in ways that are comprehensive and helpful, whereas Ron Henry's channel has an almost vlogging-like feel to it with more specialized topics. Ron's recent Friday night livestreams have also been a pretty big hit and a great resource for people seeking help with their lawns.

· Registered
17 Posts
quattljl said:
jayhawk said:

I guess I have an upper end home then haha. I inherited mine when we bought our house this past year. Zoysia wouldn't be my first pick usually but it's what I've got to work with so might as well dominate with it.
For the most part treat it like Bermuda. Use more K and less N. Also grows slower than Bermuda so mistakes take longer to recover from.

· Registered
California Trimmer 20" 7-Blade
504 Posts
Bermuda_Rooster said:
Slim 1938 said:
Lawn care life is alright and Ron Henry is good too.
I think Ron could work on his presentation but he seems like a good dude who both likes to share knowledge and likes to keep learning.
What about his presentation needs work? Genuinely curious

21 - 40 of 75 Posts