Lawn Care Forum banner
141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
STI_MECE said:
How are you able to keep the weeds at bay around the trees you got? I have quiet a few oak trees on my property with shallow roots, if i could keep grass and weeds from growing around the trunks of the trees it would save me a ton of weed eating lol
Traditionally I have used Surflan (oryzalin) as preemergent but it is no longer in production. Moving forward I plan on using Gallery (isoxben). My applications are made twice a year and correspond with my lawn's pre application. Any weeds that might make it through are either hand pulled or pot treated spot treaded with glyphosate. If you have prodiamine or dithiopyr on hand those would work as well.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
With a string of 100*+ days predicted, are you staying with the 1" HOC you mentioned on 5/23, or do you plan on raising it a little? Do you plan on skipping any mows or any other preparation/mitigation of the high temperatures? I'm always trying to up my game with summer survival, and am curious as to what others are doing.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Chris LI said:
With a string of 100*+ days predicted, are you staying with the 1" HOC you mentioned on 5/23, or do you plan on raising it a little? Do you plan on skipping any mows or any other preparation/mitigation of the high temperatures? I'm always trying to up my game with summer survival, and am curious as to what others are doing.
My goal is to try and stick with that 1" HOC all summer. The smaller area that the walkway separates, which was hit the hardest by the billbugs, is being cut at 2". It will be interesting to see how these areas compare moving forward.

With the heat I imagine the top growth will slow quite a bit along with the mowings. Right now I'm mowing about every two days.

I've been pretty dedicated in applying wetting agents every 3 weeks throughout the spring and I'll continue doing so throughout the summer. I read some research that mentioned good results when applications were made before drought set in, so that was my goal.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Butter said:
Dang Wiley that's hot! Maybe I need to quit crying about Kansas weather. The lawn looks great!
Luckily it's a dry heat with humidity in the teens. I've lived in the Midwest and the humidity and warm temps definitely warrant some crying and can be just as uncomfortable to the heat out west.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Wile said:
Which wetting agents do you use? I think I missed that.
Great question! I was wondering the same thing.

@Wiley Thanks for the details on your plan. I have some Hydretain that I need to get down ASAP. I think it works OK, but would like to try something else, like Aquatrols, next time I order.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
@Chris LI @Wile I've been using Underhill's Tournament Ready with the pellet pro applicator. Once you bite the bullet and get the applicator the pellets are not too expensive. I get three apps per pellet. I have some areas that get notoriously dry so you can give those areas some extra attention easily when applying to the whole lawn.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
bf7 said:
Holding strong through the heat! Have you used any other wetting agents and compared their performance with Tournament Ready?
I've only used Tournament Ready to date. I'd like to try another product or two to see how they compare in the future. Any thoughts or suggestions??

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Wiley said:
bf7 said:
Holding strong through the heat! Have you used any other wetting agents and compared their performance with Tournament Ready?
I've only used Tournament Ready to date. I'd like to try another product or two to see how they compare in the future. Any thoughts or suggestions??
I really like Aquatrols so far after 1.5 seasons (the jug lasts 2 seasons for me), but it's the only one I've used. Like you I'm curious about other options or even how my grass would do with no wetting agent at all. Since I don't have an irrigation system and started sand capping, I feel compelled to put something down. I was considering trying either Tournament Ready or Aristocracy next year. With TR I like the idea of hitting localized dry spots with the pellet gun.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Had a little drop in temp and was able to spoon feed a little N and thrown down some feature. Temps are going to be a little wild this week with a couple of days around 110*. I have a few spots that show stress but a little extra hand watering seems to do the trick. Still mowing at 1". The area inside the walkway, which was hit the hardest by the billbugs, is being rotary mowed at 1.75.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
One thing I'm liking about the wetting agent with the pellet pro is that it gives me something to do in the lawn when I get the urge to do something, like fertilization, that doesn't need to be done.

20+ days in a row with over 100 temps and still surviving.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
^+1
:thumbsup: I love mine for the same reason! I jump between the Cloudburst and Rainbow nozzles. I can get more down with the Cloudburst, but the spray is a little nicer with the Rainbow. I guess you like the Rainbow better, from the photo?

I just wish that I had more street pressure to make better use of the Cloudburst, with my 100' of true 3/4" ID hose.

I'm due for another round, but it's still hot after a T-storm came through, and really humid.

Are you using TR or H20 Maximizer (or one of the other two)? From the green stripe, my guess is TR.

141 - 160 of 173 Posts