Lawn Care Forum banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
@Natron thanks for the kind words.

We currently don't have any water restrictions. I'm on a well and decently close to the Sacramento River. With that said, there are some areas in town where wells are going dry, so I'm not going too wild and pumping water like crazy.

Yep, I'm still trying to irrigate around 80% of ET in the front. I'm going to mess around with a little less water in the backyard on the TTTF/KBG mix.

I'm using FRET data from weather.gov as well as some resources from UC Extension listed below. Since this is a reno I'm still getting a feel for how the turf handles stress and recovery is dry spots. The front has 3 stations which put out about an inch of water per hour. As of now I'm shooting for 1.5 inches spread out between 3-4 irrigation cycles during the week. My soil is pretty sandy so holding capacity is not great.

https://ucanr.edu/sites/UrbanHort/Water_Use_of_Turfgrass_and_Landscape_Plant_Materials/Water_Demand_Calculators/Water_Demand_Calculators/

How's everything looking in your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's concerning about the wells running dry. Would you consider drilling down deeper or drilling a new well?

Thanks for the tip on the FRET data. I was getting my ET data from CIMIS but didn't know forecast data was available. Have you been able to automate the gathering of any of this data? I was considering doing that with CIMIS data since they have an FTP, but don't know if it's worth the effort.

Our purveyor still has no restrictions, but they are getting tighter in surrounding areas.

Stay cool this week.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Natron said:
That's concerning about the wells running dry. Would you consider drilling down deeper or drilling a new well?

Thanks for the tip on the FRET data. I was getting my ET data from CIMIS but didn't know forecast data was available. Have you been able to automate the gathering of any of this data? I was considering doing that with CIMIS data since they have an FTP, but don't know if it's worth the effort.

Our purveyor still has no restrictions, but they are getting tighter in surrounding areas.

Stay cool this week.
I have not considered exporting that data but that's a pretty good idea. If get some time end-up going that route I'll forward it along.

Glad to see you're not on any restrictions. Good luck this moving forward this summer!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Wile said:
Wiley said:
Mid 90's. We average 60+ days of 100+.
Man that's got to be tough. What made you want to do KBG over a warm season or bluemuda?
Good question. I had TTTF/KBG before this and it performed pretty well with some struggles in July and August. I went with full KBG due to it being superior in it's drought recovery and dormancy attributes. TTTF is arguably more drought tolerant but in my research takes more water to recover from drought. Another benefit with KBG is that if it does get blow out from the heat it has the ability to fill-in compared to TTTF which would be an automatic overseed. It will be interesting to see how it all goes moving forward.

Bermuda and other warm season grasses would definitely be the best choice for our area but it's funny that you really don't see it them much around here. I know of a couple quality bermuda lawns and a lot of cool season lawns that have common mixed in. Depending on how this reno turns out in the long run I may end-up doing bermuda (Lat36) or something along those lines.

I actually have a smallish (600sq ft) test plot of bluemuda that I've been dinking around with. Sometimes it looks pretty good other times it's horrible. Honestly I don't put a lot of extra time into it other than mowing and basic feedings. From my experience there is less of a transition from one to the other and it looks best when both types of turf are coexisting and thriving. Ideally I think that individuals looking for bluemuda want green in the winter months but for me this is when the turf looks for crap. So, as of now I don't know if it's the best long term option for me. You also need to be pretty dang creative when it comes to the use of herbicides.

Picture from a few weeks ago.

Up-close from last season. August

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
I had a couple of isolated spots that have been browning and almost looked light drought stress. Upon further inspection I've been bitten by grubs. I'll definitely use this as a learning experience and not forgo preventative insecticide app in the future.

Temps will be 100+ most of the week so I'm sure more root damage will apparent. It's a pretty wild feeling when you can just pull back handfuls of turf with ease.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Upon further review the turf pest that's feasting on my turf are billbugs. Curative insecticides have been applied so now it's just a waiting game.

With the damage and stress present I decided to come out of regulation. Moving forward I'll continue to monitor the damage and focus on sound cultural practices.

A couple of shots showing infected vs uninfected areas.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
@Jeff_MI84 theoretically it should. It could have been a timing issue (too early) as there's a pretty good correspondence between activity and GDD's and the app had lost it's effectiveness. In the future I will use more of a systematic approach with imidacloprid.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts