Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to start this journal to monitor my progress as well as have a platform to gain some knowledge and info. from the members of this forum.

This project was a new construction that began with a blank baron slate. The property is about 5 acres mostly made of hills, oaks, and native grasses. I seeded the flatter portion around the house this past fall as well as installed an irrigation system. The irrigation was a labor of love and a necessity due to the hot temps we see in the summer (60+ 100* days a year).

The seed used was a TTTF/KBG mix from Columbia Seed Company. I dropped the seed towards the end of September along with a starter fertilizer. I had good germination and things were going as planned. Locally we had some power shut-offs from the utility company (due to increased fire danger) and was unable to water for 3 days with some pretty warm outside temps, but the grass seemed to be okay. After about two weeks I started to notice a big difference between the growth in the front and backyard. The back was ready for its first mow while the front on the other hand was getting hammered by the local deer population and was only about 1/4" in height. During this time I was able to cut the backyard every 3 days to maintain a 3 inch HOC. The front has only been mowed three times to date but seems to be recovering. I have a few grassy weeds to tackle and the broaleaf in the back has been taken care of with Weed B Gon since the picture below.

Here are a few pictures to document my progress to date.

Thanks for looking and I look forward to sharing my progress.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Beautiful weekend so I was able to get outside and tackle some weeds. I was focused on digging out some poa annua but also dug-up some redstem filaree.

Also encountered this tall grass that I'm having trouble IDing.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got out for a little mow session in the front today. Happy with how the lawn stands today even with the amount of poa I have. Watching soil temps and getting ready to drop some pre.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update. Outside temps increased rapidly this week from highs in the low 60's to low 80's. Spring is here in Northern Cal. No rain in Feb. and none expected in the extended forecast. Sprinklers will be utilized a bit earlier this season.

Monday 2/24:

Got a mow in

Checked all my sprinkler heads and made a few minor adjustments

Applied prodiamine

Thursday 2/27:

Got a little mix of milorganite and urea down at about a rate of .50lb of N/1000.

Sprayed some Surflan and Round-up around the property to improve our firebreak.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Planned on giving the front a little trim this am but the kiddos had a different plan.

So, I decided to do a couple different projects.
I did some weed trimming around the property for some added fire safety.

Moved a sprinkler. I love funny pipe! Makes a project like this super easy. I also threw down some seed in the expanded area as well as some of the dog spots left from winter. Seed was a mix of Thor tttf and Bandera kbg.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Needed to do some edging tonight and then decided to get in a quick mow. I've been putting down .25lbs of N down for five weeks straight and the lawn is filling in and growing nicely. Temps are supposed to be 95+ next week so I'm going hold off on the N and see how the lawn responds to the heat.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Survived our little heatwave we had. Most of the poa I have in the front is starting to get fried. It will interesting to see what's left in the heavy spots once it gets really hot.

About 30 days since I seeded an expanded area.

The backyard is looking pretty lush this evening after a much need mow.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update time.

Raised the hoc to about 3in over the last week or so. We had two good days of rain in the last week which hasn't happened in a while.

The front is moving along nicely. Current issues include some scattered spots of what I think is some sort of broom grass (pic below). The front gets most of the sun during the day so I've been spending some extra time to make sure the irrigation is dialed in.

The back is also doing well but it's not without it's issues. I've come to grips that dog spots will exist and tttf it is what it is until seeding time. The weeds consist of some patches of rose clover. I'm also in a battle with a mole or gopher.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a great mow in the front this evening. Happy with how the lawn looks after about a week or so of 100+ degree temps. It will be interesting to see how everything settles in as we get into the dog days of summer. All done with the nitrogen and just started applying some iron.

Stripes are looking better after a slight modification to my mower. Thanks @Ware!

My mystery weed is also dying out and the turf is looking a little thin in that area.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spent some time in the backyard this morning to try and figure out what's going on with some dry spots I have. I double checked the sprinkler coverage and did some screwdriver tests. The sprinkler coverage was dialed in. The soil was firm but no major rocks or obstructions were found.

I spent some time trying to figure out what the heck was going on? Then I checked my irrigation controller and Occam's razor prevails again. For whatever reason I didn't increases my irrigation times in the backyard when I increased in the front. I've been irrigating at about 50% of what's optimal at .75in a week. We've already had ten plus days over a 100 degrees. Good news is everything is set now so time will tell how things recover.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks @Justmatson! The modification I recently made was the TLF sticker I added. It made a world of difference. In all seriousness, I did add a big league lawn striper and it been great! It's built like a tank and will probably out last the mower.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts