Lawn Care Forum banner

Who uses granular Prodiamine? Rates?

9K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Mrotatori 
#1 ·
For those who have used granular Prodiamine (doesn't matter if you're warm or cool season):

-What percent AI are you using?
-How many lb/K ?
-What month was it applied?
-How long did the Pre-M barrier last?

Granular Prodiamine only, please. Thanks.

Discussion starter · #2 ·
Here's my response:

-0.37%
-2 lbs/K
-Late Summer
-Not sure

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Pete1313 said:
I don't use granular prodiamine, but the rate of AI you put down (11.84 oz AI) would have given you a roughly a 6 month barrier.
Good to know! I was kind of hoping it would last a while. Do you know if the rates act in a linear fashion as they're increased/decreased?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Pete1313 said:
My apologies, I was doing the math while I was getting ready to leave work. Double checked it and it is only a 3 month barrier for 2lbs/k of .37% prodiamine. It is not linear.
3 months...still pretty long.

Just curious, how are you calculating how long the barrier will last?
Or are you going by experience/using a table to determine how long a certain number of ounces of AI lasts?

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Discussion starter · #11 ·
That's crazy. I had no idea the two halves in the spreader were supposed to be the same product until you said it. Thought maybe one was Pendimethalin and the other was something else. Were those both your bags, and from the same batch?

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Btw, Grassfactor...I just watched your video on Screamin' Green 16-2-3, a fertilizer that I bought about two years ago, and was super excited about, as well. Problem was, I haven't been able to find it since then. Thanks to this forum, I found out that SIteOne sells it, so I plan to use it again this year. I liked seeing your enthusiasm and the technical details about the product in your video.

Edi: just found your granular pre-M video. Watching it now for more details on what you posted above.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
g-man said:
Pretty much all of the lawn lawn chemicals we apply that last months follow an exponential decay curve.

For spring, Purdue recommends an 0.65ai/acre rate. You could split it in two apps within the spring app.
Thanks. 0.65 (of what unit?) per acre?
Do they have a recommendation for late Summer or early Fall as well? At this point, that's the only time of year I use Prodiamine, and only on areas that used to have an annual bluegrass issue. (I use Dimension in the Spring.)

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Catlettsl said:
What does AI mean in this thread?
Active Ingredient. But I'm not sure what people mean in this thread by:

"0.38 active ingredient rate"

or

"0.38 active ingredient per acre"

or

"0.38 active ingredient / rate"

I've never heard any of those 3 terminologies before. To me, there are units missing. Hopefully someone will clarify. Maybe I'm just being stubborn, but it doesn't make sense.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
pennstater2005 said:
g-man said:
I looked at the water granular label. Max rate is 1.5lb/acre of that product that it is 65% ai.

That's 1lb ai/acre. An acre is 43.5ksqft and a pound is 16oz (dry).

That's 0.358oz ai/ksqft. (Yearly max).

Your bag is 0.38% ai by weight. 1lb x 0.0038 x 16 = 0.0608oz of ai/ksqft for every 1lb you apply. Multiply by 6 and you get 0.3648oz of ai/ksqft. So your max is right at 6lb of that product per year (account for your spring application.)
Thank you. Unfortunately, that goes right over my head :lol:
Me, too. I'm going to have to read it about 25 times. I don't feel like it, though! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.