Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, apparently our secret ingredient for a lush green lawn is no longer a secret. I stopped at Lowe's for Milo last week, they were sold out. So I went to Walmart - Sold out. I figured I'd find it this weekend, so I went on line and checked the Lowe's across town from me and according to the website, they had 17 bags. Off to the Lowe's across town, I got there and found only 2 bags left, and they were ripped open and spilling onto the ground.

So off to Home Depot - OUT

The Home Depot across town? Out

Walmart on the other side of town - Out

Arrrgh - the withdrawals starts now...

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They had the two bags that were ripped marked down already (5 bucks) - but there was so much of the product that spilled out, it simply was not worth it to me.

The other factor? I do not have a truck with an open bed. I have a Soul with a hatchback - which means any spillage in the car will stink up the interior for a while.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had the same issue. So I went to tractor supply close by in Bulverde, TX and ordered 10 bags online and got free ship to store. 5 of them came with the 4% iron! I had to make sure it wasn't a sticker or something. Smelled like success in my car for a few days.

·
Registered
587 Posts
There's plenty in my neck of the woods, grabbed two bags a week ago from home Depot (most were torn as well) went back today and there was a fresh pallet full, grabbed two more since none were torn. I'm new to Milo, hownofter do you guys throw it down??!!!!! I just took my yard down to 2" from 3" and was thinking of throwing some more down haha

·
Registered
214 Posts
kds said:
Txmx583 said:
I'm new to Milo, hownofter do you guys throw it down??!!!!!
It's recommended to usually do it around the three main summer holidays: Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day.
I use it every month during the growing season. Since it's organic I figure no harm and it's been working for me so far. I have one bag left that I'll use this weekend. Then I gotta stock up myself. I had an issue finding it at Lowes once but then went to a Home Depot and found some there.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
Topcat said:
Welp, I think I know what I will be doing this weekend....

Anyone know the shelf life of Milo?
As long as you keep it in a cool dry place it should keep for a couple of years without any issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same issue. I went to a Lowes outside of town near where I work. I made sure they had some on hand online. Website said they had a full pallet. Got there, and nothing. They lost an entire pallet of Milo! It was on sale too. Lucky the Lowes nearby my home got some in after being out for weeks.

·
Premium Member
Baroness LM56 Meyer Zoysia 0.4"
1,709 Posts
dfw_pilot said:
Give Hou-Actinite a try. Often cheaper than Milo, with more iron.

The only downside I've found is that it isn't as small as Milo, so it doesn't flow as well.
I went to Siteone today and they had 50 lb. bags for roughly $12ish. Would you guys consider replacing Milorganite with Hou-Actinite? (Let the blasphemy comments begin...)

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I occasionally use biosolids and it all comes down to price for me. They're produced the same way. Heat treated sludge fed into an agglomerator then redried. From there they're entered into a pan and treated with a dusting agent(tall seed oil) or hardening agent(ferrous sulfate [iron]) and polished. Buying in bulk, typically I like to pay around 250/ton.

Biosolids are biosolids are biosolids. It all comes down to how neat, pretty, or durable you need your fert to be. So hou actinite is as good of a product as milorganite

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.