Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have real world experience with TifTuf Bermuda? I checked NTEP tests in Raleigh and DT-1(which is TifTuf) comes up on top. The color ratings are great all the way into November, and the spring greenup score is high. If we're talking green grass April through November, that may be a game changer, at least for me.

http://www.ntep.org/data/bg13/bg13_15-2/bg13nc114t.txt

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm preparing to lay some down in my backyard as soon as I can get it ready. It was a difficult choice because of the limited data out there but you'd like to think the guys from Tifton wouldn't release a dud with all this hype. It's hard to tell what is real testing and what is just marketing material.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok just came back from SiteOne(where I got some blue marker) and it looks like they're pushing TifTuf - they had they whole front of the store sodded with it.

Sorry about the over-exposed pictures, it was very sunny. The guy inside said it greens up about 3 weeks earlier than 419.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
J_nick said:
What's your first hand thoughts on it? Worth getting rid of those yankee grasses?
Depends on how the bluegrass performs this summer. I got one of the top rated cultivars in Raleigh NTEP tests, and it's supposed to be aggressive. If it can make it through with acceptable damages that it can repair on its own this fall, then you can't beat 12 month green and no fall seeding.

If not, I'm seriously going to consider Bermuda next summer. If I'm going to be seeding yearly anyway, might as well seed PRG into Bermuda in the fall and have a year-round trouble-free lawn.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
@g-man, I am just trying to find any other people aside from me and @Bunnysarefat , with tiftuf. I've pestered the UGA turfgrass department enough with questions, so it's nice to know anyone else out there with experience on what chemicals/practices work well for that cultivar. Also, the warm season side will steal him fair and square; first hit of PGR is free with the purchase of a reel mower.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
I'm on fence for a Reno myself of grand or tuf myself.

Not sure how long I want to keep this house, but a fresh level and new sod with irrigation could be a selling point I think.

Leaning towards tifgrand but my yard get USED via kids and bikes and dogs. Corn hole and dirt bikes, sprinkler running....

Tough choices and tuned into info here.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I asked the turfgrass breeder at UGA for help picking between tifgrand and tiftuf. I was concerned whether I'd have enough sunlight for either one, and wanted to know if one version was the better choice. Also, I wanted something that would handle wear and tear from kids/dog/family social events. The response I received was:

Generally, TifTuf is better for homelawns than TifGrand for the simple reason that it is easier to mow at higher heights with a rotary mower. If you intend to mow your lawn below 1" with a reel mower, I would recommend TifGrand.

TifTuf is more drought Tolerance than TifGrand and it recovers better than all bermudagrasses I've tested after it gets injured.
From what I can tell the tifgrand has a deeper green than the tiftuf but the tiftuf is suppose to easily blend into 419. If you live near a sodfarm with both tiftuf and tifgrand, like a super sod or NG Turf farm that has both, try to compare the two.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Movingshrub said:
From what I can tell the tifgrand has a deeper green than the tiftuf but the tiftuf is suppose to easily blend into 419. If you live near a sodfarm with both tiftuf and tifgrand, like a super sod or NG Turf farm that has both, try to compare the two.
I have never seen tifgrand in person, but the photos do show a darker and deeper color. TifTuf is more of a natural green color that matches well with zoysia, but I would think that tifgrand would be closer to 419.

edit - I have one area of 419 and some plugged TifTuf. TifTuf is much lighter.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
@Spammage , I don't remember whether it was Super Sod or NG Turf but one had a location in GA where out front they had all of the grass in a display so you could see the differences.

I never made it to that farm since they wouldn't sell me sprigs but it would be nice to see a side by side comparisons, so @FATC1TY if you make it to that farm, photos! please.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My tiftuf responded very very well to wear during the first year. We set up a 50x10 foot slip and slide twice for kids birthday parties and the grass was fully recovered very quickly. Almost 100% in like a week.

Also, my tiftuf seemed a little darker than that picture with the sign. But looking through my own photos, the contrast on the green varies so much depending on lighting that it's hard to really see without a real side by side.

·
Registered
573 Posts
J_nick said:
Bunnysarefat said:
Also, my tiftuf seemed a little darker than that picture with the sign. But looking through my own photos, the contrast on the green varies so much depending on lighting that it's hard to really see without a real side by side.
Being color blind can't help
There is that too. :lol:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Movingshrub said:
Totally bringing a thread back from the dead here. @j4c11, what did you decide to do?
So far so good for me with KBG. Stayed green through the summer, no major heat damage. Didn't have to seed last fall, and I don't anticipate having to seed going forward unless I decide to renovate to a Midnight monostand. Bermuda is off the table, I can get year-round green out of my bluegrass :nod:

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Movingshrub said:
I asked the turfgrass breeder at UGA for help picking between tifgrand and tiftuf. I was concerned whether I'd have enough sunlight for either one, and wanted to know if one version was the better choice. Also, I wanted something that would handle wear and tear from kids/dog/family social events. The response I received was:

Generally, TifTuf is better for homelawns than TifGrand for the simple reason that it is easier to mow at higher heights with a rotary mower. If you intend to mow your lawn below 1" with a reel mower, I would recommend TifGrand.

TifTuf is more drought Tolerance than TifGrand and it recovers better than all bermudagrasses I've tested after it gets injured.
I live very close to NG turf farm actually. I may go see if I can get some of both and experiment in my backyard.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.