Lawn Care Forum banner

Whats recommended height to cut bermuda

572 Views 16 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  theycallmePops
What is the recommended height to cut bermuda. Live in .Midlands SC

I don't want to cut it too low ot too high.

Don't have a clue on correct height

Tony
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Depends on how often you want to cut it lol. I'm also in the SC midlands. Mine is yukon (improved common) at 1.5 in hoc due to very bumpy turf. If you have hybrid bermuda and a reel mower its a game of how low do you want to go. A general range is 1/2 in to 2 in hoc imo.
1-2" is what most people mow their lawns at. Most lawn care companies on zero-turns will do the same. Anything higher and the turf gets super leggy and thin. Any lower and you need special mowers, not to mention a super flat yard.
Reactions: 1
Scalp it on your lowest mower setting while bagging the clippings then maintain at the second lowest setting. That's the correct HOC. ;)
Reactions: 5
Scalp it on your lowest mower setting while bagging the clippings then maintain at the second lowest setting. That's the correct HOC. ;)
This is correct. It will look like crap when you scalp it but it will recover quickly. Don't get nervous about the appearance, just knock it down. All will be well in a week with proper watering and fertilization.
I had Bermuda for years before I learned the importance of this :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the advice, what do you mean "scalping"
Bermuda is only green on the top third of the blade so if you cut too much off at one time (scalping) it will look brown because you cut all the green off. It's a normal part of bermuda maintenance. In the spring you do a scalp as low as you can go to cut off all the brown dormant turf and make room for green. During the season it's more of a "HOC reset" but that's what you do when you miss a mow and you start to see scalping in the middle of summer. With a rotary mower you are limited on how low you can scalp but with reel mowers you can go all the way to the dirt. You should always collect your clippings when scalping.

HOC = height of cut
To put it another way, there is international scalping and unintentional scalping. If you consider the context, you will understand the difference. Intentional scalping, as described above, is lowering the HOC. Unintentional scalping, is where the cut leaves brown/tan patches because of allowing too much growth between cuts and/or an uneven grade (bumps).
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
thanks now I know the difference
This is correct. It will look like crap when you scalp it but it will recover quickly. Don't get nervous about the appearance, just knock it down. All will be well in a week with proper watering and fertilization.
Can you still scalp it this late in the season? We are approaching June.
Yes, scalping mid season is what they refer to as a HOC reset around here.
Can you still scalp it this late in the season? We are approaching June.
You can pretty much scalp anytime, any height you want.
To put it another way, there is international scalping and unintentional scalping. If you consider the context, you will understand the difference. Intentional scalping, as described above, is lowering the HOC. Unintentional scalping, is where the cut leaves brown/tan patches because of allowing too much growth between cuts and/or an uneven grade (bumps).
I'm only familiar with domestic scalping, what is this international version you speak of? ;)
Reactions: 1
If you see brown in the yards now, people are scalping already because they aren’t keeping up with their mowing at the set height.

I’d echo the lowest cut you can get with Whatever equipment you have. Your Bermuda will spread better being cut lower and more often. More spread helps with erosion, weeds, etc.
@bptexan yeah I suck at catching those kind of errors. I see what I expect it to be.😬
1 - 17 of 17 Posts