Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 zone sprinkler system that waters my lawn every Wednesday and Sunday mornings. I have it start the first zone at 5:00am and it goes for 45 minutes to put down about 1/2 of water, the next zone follows and so on. I noticed driving around a lot of people water in the late evening, between 6-8pm.

I know not to water during the heat of midday for obvious reasons. So when do you water your lawn? What is generally considered the best time to water lawns so they absorb the most water?

·
Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
15,319 Posts
4am. Mainly because of wind. Go to weather underground and look for a station near you. Check the wind chart for various days. You will likely notice that there is barely any wind during those times. Less wind means more even spraying.

Folks do the evening watering because they are home and could move hoses around. But fungus becomes a problem since the blades will stay wet most of the night thus providing more time for fungus to grow.

Ideally measure how long it zone takes to water 1in. Use used tuna cans to measure it. Then don't water on a fix schedule (ie Wednesday and Sunday). Water only when the lawn needs it, but the whole in. This is a general guideline meant to be broken based on what you see.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I now have 6 zones (4 lawn and 2 Shrub/Flower bed). The lawn gets watered at 0400(4 am) when the Rachio decides it's needed and I have the Shrub beds going off at 1000 everyday as I have some new plantings in there but it only runs for 15 minutes per zone in the beds.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
It normally doesn't bother me to irrigate at night (after all, it rains at night), but I've been battling some leaf spot, so I have been waiting to start them about the time I leave for work in the morning.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Mine's set to start at midnight, if the controller (Weathermatic SL1600) thinks it needs it. I have 15 zones (12 turf), and many slopes, so if I didn't start early it'd never get done with all the running and soaking that needs to happen.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
dfw_pilot said:
My Rachio starts at 0100. My system runs for almost five hours and I want it finished by six am when all the showers start to be turned on in the neighborhood.
This is another reason I like to water early as it provides better water pressure before everyone wakes up in the hood :D I can always tell the days that have low water pressure as the overspray isn't as high on the fence as other days.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
My irrigation meter is on an 8" main that always supplies north of 100PSI. I regulate that down to about 75psi. I also use 40psi pressure-regulated bodies with the MP Rotators, so I don't have to worry about variations in coverage or precipitation rates.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When I built my house i wish I had installed sprinkler systems for that reason. I didn't because of two reasons: 1. I didn't think I'd take my lawn as seriously as I do. 2. the builder wanted to tack on $4,300 for the install - which I thought was outrageous at the time. Now it's on a list for me to do in the upcoming year since I travel.

Oh well, I'll use my impact sprinkler with a tripod for now. I usually water about 6 a.m on Saturdays for 35 minutes and a light mist spraying on Wednesdays if the lawn looks like it needs it. The back yard need the tripod moved twice and the front I can hit my whole yard without moving it. The side yards on the other hand require hand watering while i drink my coffee.

·
Registered
94 Posts
@Miller_Low_Life That's my problem, too. I have two outdoor faucets and good enough pressure to run two sprinklers at the same time, but I have 20,000 square feet of grass. It takes a full two days of watering to get even close to an inch down over the whole thing. I *try* to get the first section started at 6am, but with having to go to work and bugging my wife to move it during the day....boy is that hard.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.