Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost embarrassed to show this because I'm so proud of my front yard. But last year we had our patio expanded in the back and they had to excavate some dirt which they threw on top of my Bermuda sod.

Some of the areas were about 4 inches deep so I knew the grass would take a while to break through and I planted rye seed. It looked great and of course died towards the end of summer but I figured if I didn't replant the rye this year the Bermuda would fill in completely.

Now the issue is that in two weeks we're having a party and want to use the back yard. So I figure my choices now are sod, hay, or sand. This area faces east so gets direct sun until afternoon when the sun faces the front instead. I know some areas will not allow Bermuda to grow because of the shading from the playset. But most of it should grow no problem.

So what's best to use? I want the grass to grow but it's taking too long!

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
fp_911 said:
My concern is that the sod won't be ready for people to trample on with only a couple of weeks of sitting there.

Are my concerns valid or shouldn't be an issue?
2-3 weeks should be plenty of time for the sod to take root and be pretty solid. Or you could get a ProPlugger and plug the area to help it spread faster.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Tellycoleman said:
Another thought all together is to have it like a public playground. Use tire/ rubber much or mats .
Just another option.
I was thinking mulch also. In the mean time work on getting the grass growing there. Morning of party lay down the mulch then rake it up the next day and "refresh" (as my parents say) your beds with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.