Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question for you guru's!

i have had a few spots on my lawn that that grows faster than the other areas.. I'll mow it and 2 days later it is a good 2 inches above the rest of my grass.

Now, the spots that have this issue, I put top soil in these areas a few months ago(before I joined this forum and at the time I didn't know sand was better for leveling) but I didn't cover the area completely. I will be spot leveling with sand once I can identify the problem, or get ya'lls green light. Moreover, I apply fertilizer to the area evenly like everywhere else. I'm hoping it's due to the fast it's not level, but that leaves the question of why does it grow taller and faster than other areas? I feel like I am overthinking this.

I attached a close up, and I did my best to take a picture of the height compared to the surrounding grass.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
high leverage said:
Maybe nutsedge? Pull one out of the ground and post a pic of it's base and root area. Also from the first pic it looks like you have some crabgrass as well.
Here you go. yeah I have a bit of crabgrass popping up. I'll be hand pulling them in the evening

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Bermuda grass seed ultimately comes from "common" bermuda variants. In guessing that this area is just slightly more common if that makes sense. Once you start cutting low and frequent, the plants that are more adaptive will dominate and these areas should disappear.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spammage said:
Bermuda grass seed ultimately comes from "common" bermuda variants. In guessing that this area is just slightly more common if that makes sense. Once you start cutting low and frequent, the plants that are more adaptive will dominate and these areas should disappear.
It sure does, damn that common grows fast!

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Tex86 said:
Spammage said:
It sure does, damn that common grows fast!
It sure does. That's why PGR rates for common are 2-3 times higher than the hybrid cultivars.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I googled that and it seems to be missing what I am assuming it's seed bulbs? This stuff shoots up quick like a sedge. 2 days post mowing it is high up there above my bermuda: atleast an inch or more.

My neighbor had a major sedge issue that he refused to pay an extra $5.00 a month to have his landscaping guy nag his clippings. So I bit the bullet and applied prodiamine at a very loe dose on his side after his lawn guy mowed and his sprinklers watered it in well. Since then the sedge has been reduced drastically.

The only thing I can think of is maybe I caught a few seeds from his side and carried it over to my front lawn. It's weird because the side of my house adjacent to his has no sedge, so I'm not seeing how the side yard didn't catch and my front yard which is 30 feet away did..
Not sure, but I'm mowing tomorrow morning and I'm going to bag my clippings for a bit while still cutting short.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mightyquinn said:
Tex86 said:
I need to do some research on PGR as I see it regularly in here..
Have you seen this? Information about PGR
Yes sir. I found it last night. I'll dive in to it this afternoon. For me right now I want to get my lawn leveled and squared away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.