Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relatively new home. The prior homeowner (complete neglect of the lawn) had some kind of vine growing around the base of the tree.
It has spread like crazy probably due to my fertilizer schedule.
What is it? could be oak tree saplings coming from the roots?
How to stop it? Blindside slowed it down, but hurt the bermuda. Mowing doesn't seem to faze it.
Plant Tree Natural landscape Shade Sky

Plant Tree Natural landscape Grass Terrestrial plant

Plant Branch Tree Natural landscape Trunk

Plant Plant community Vegetation Flower Grass

Plant Groundcover Terrestrial plant Grass Flowering plant

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
I would be real apprehensive about spraying them since they are all going to be located under the drip line of the tree. If they are outside of that area they are probably sprouting from shallow roots which means they are connected to the host tree. I think pulling is going to be your best bet. You could also mow low to knock them down but it may take a while to kill them that way. Just take it a section at a time and you will have them all pulled before you know it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be real apprehensive about spraying them since they are all going to be located under the drip line of the tree. If they are outside of that area they are probably sprouting from shallow roots which means they are connected to the host tree. I think pulling is going to be your best bet. You could also mow low to knock them down but it may take a while to kill them that way. Just take it a section at a time and you will have them all pulled before you know it.
Believe me, I have tried pulling them but they are out pacing me😳

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not what you want to hear but there is no way to stop this from occurring. They could be acorns or suckers from the the tree but regardless, without removing the tree, they'll return.

You can mow them over or you can turn the area into a mulch bed with planting that grow high enough to outcompete/hide them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not what you want to hear but there is no way to stop this from occurring. They could be acorns or suckers from the the tree but regardless, without removing the tree, they'll return.

You can mow them over or you can turn the area into a mulch bed with planting that grow high enough to outcompete/hide them.
Agreed, I think mulching the bed area like crazy, and just mowing the lawn sprouts is a good plan.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Looks like root suckers. Spraying them with Blindside probably made it worse. Read on...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts