Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
I can see the case for both sides, but I would probably fertilize after the sand goes down so it doesn't get moved around in the raking/dragging process - I'm a little OCD though. If I was going to fertilize before the sand goes down, I would do it a week or two in advance, making sure it was watered in good. But again, that's just me.

I'm also a little more conservative with the Nitrogren. I would use something with at least some slow release at a rate somewhere under 1.0 pound of N per thousand. If I thought it needed more, I would wait a few weeks and apply more. Low mowing heights and excess Nitrogen can favor disease intensity. I had some leaf spot last year, and it was terrible.

So there are a lot of options, but it sounds like you're heading in the right direction. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
46-0-0 or some other fast-release N source would be fine... I probably just wouldn't drop it at a pound per thousand rate.

How much sand are you putting down?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I typically go the foliar route with Calcium Nitrate after aeration, but the 46-0-0 should get that top growth going after sanding. Depending on your soils needs, Sulfate of Potash is very helpful in recovery also depending if you aerated or even used a heavy duty drag to smooth out the sand.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... I went with some milorganite and here is why. I already have a lawn fertilizer company so I didn't want to double up on that. Next, I've had good luck with Milo in the past so I planned on using it and am hoping I can bury the smell with the sand. I put down about 2 tons so far. I have to say that I got my feelings a little hurt just now. After 4 strong hours of brushing sand I watered it in and most of my aeration holes reappeared. WTF mate?

·
Registered
475 Posts
M311att said:
Well... I went with some milorganite and here is why. I already have a lawn fertilizer company so I didn't want to double up on that. Next, I've had good luck with Milo in the past so I planned on using it and am hoping I can bury the smell with the sand. I put down about 2 tons so far. I have to say that I got my feelings a little hurt just now. After 4 strong hours of brushing sand I watered it in and most of my aeration holes reappeared. WTF mate?
most people aerate and just leave the cores sitting, no biggie. They holes will eventually close on there own in a short amount of time

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.