Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone that has followed me the past few seasons will know I've had all types of issues with the storm drain in front of my house. The thing is a nightmare, I've considered digging it all up and putting down some landscaping, or flagstone. I'm also a procrastinator and still haven't done a single thing... lol..

Please share what you hate about your lawn!

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
This is a really great thread. My name is John, and I too have some shaded bermuda. :lol:

No, seriously - it's easy to talk about the things that are going well for us, but looking forward to hearing from people who may suffer from some of the same problems I have.

My official response to the question will follow. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had been holding off with the pics of my grass for a reason. :( But this is as good as time as ever I guess.

Hello my name is Mark. This is the first season I've cut my Bermuda below 3" (I'm at 7/8" now), and I have shade issues, drainage issues, and smoothness issues.

This pic is facing due east. The shade I can't do anything about, is what it is. The grass up by the house does green up and fill in. Since I'm going low this year I'm hoping that it will fill in sooner than before (July). I've never cut this low before so I had no idea how uneven the ground was. Probably won't be able to start leveling out until next year. The yard on the south side of the sidewalk is a solid 2" above the sidewalk. I'm assuming the best way to fix that is just pull the grass back (1-2 feet), dig out some dirt, and put the grass back. My plan was to do this once the grass is in high gear to speed up recovery.

The back has shade issues (from fences) and is very thin. Some is bare dirt due to all the thatch I pulled up this year. I'm calling this my starting over year.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,473 Posts
I hate how my lawn isn't perfectly smooth and flat. In the front yard, I have these areas by the sidewalk and driveway that slope too severely to get an even cut. I've fixed some of that this year to a certain extent but won't know for sure until it all greens up and I start mowing.

My west lawn, next to the garage, has a severe slope which I've been working on too that can cause issues while mowing.

The backyard isn't too bad except for some minor undulations that can hopefully be fixed overtime.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My hill, I hate my hill. I can't do anything about it, my greens mower won't work on it and its a HUGE part of my yard.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Two things....

The swale that runs through the backyard. The drainage that I installed last year is sure to help some but its still not great. I am hoping that aeration and sand will also allow the water to penetrate the soil better there. I have used soap but not on any regular basis. I know some of you are trying the wetting agents but that a little "next level" for me right now.

My front hill. I am planning on removing the tree at some point to make mowing with the TruCut easier, which will be nice, but there are other issues like leveling and getting the top edge enough water for good growth.

·
Administrator
12,863 Posts
#1 - The Ditch. I live next to a county road with no curb and gutter, so proper drainage relies on this earthen ditch. It is effective, but a PITA to mow. I use my Honda push mower and a bunch of cuss words to maintain this section of the yard.

#2 - The North Face. Those of us who grow Bermuda in the northern hemisphere learn quickly how difficult it is to grow along the north side of any structure. It just doesn't get enough sunlight.

I poured a sidewalk and landscaped all along the north side of my house to combat the shade, but landscaping the area above (next to the fence) would disrupt the drainage of my back yard.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hate dallisgrass, I have it all over the place, I kill it in the winter and then it leaves dirt spots all over the yard. This year is the back yard section in the pics. There is a lot of bermuda in there and I hope it will take over and look good, but is looks terrible now.

And the size, my total yard is 33,100sqft, it slops bad after the play ground.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Live on an acre and have 30k sq ft to maintain. Mowing is the fun part but edging and weed eating is really a chore!! Oh and the nutsedge I have in my flowerbeds!! Arrrrrrgggghhh

·
Administrator
12,863 Posts
MrMeaner said:
Live on an acre and have 30k sq ft to maintain. Mowing is the fun part but edging and weed eating is really a chore!! Oh and the nutsedge I have in my flowerbeds!! Arrrrrrgggghhh
I don't know what it is about nutsedge in flowerbeds, but I noticed some yesterday - in both mine and my neighbor's!

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took this picture yesterday. I hate this corner of my lawn. Its one of the main feeds of runoff from the street behind me into the storm drain. It's still soaking wet from last weekends rainfall. With more rain last night, and later today, this will be a mess for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My yard is a mess. I moved in at the end of the growing season last year and am just starting to try fixing it up. 1/3 of the way through my back yard is a berm for the water runoff. The person we bought the place from put a sweet shed in (in the middle of the yard)...that just adds to the shade/thin Bermuda issues. The shed also blocks 3/4 of the watering area for 2 of the 5 sprinkler heads watering the back yard. It's a work in progress and I'm just learning how to take care of Bermuda. Where I'm from, it's a weed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.