Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of y'all into wet shaving? I've recently gotten into shaving with an old fashioned double edge saftey razor, shave brush and soap, etc.

The shave is pretty darn good and replacement blades are about $0.10 each!

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,473 Posts
I too have been wet shaving for about 3 years now and have acquired quite the stash of shaving products. I probably have enough to last me for about 10 years :D. My favorite is Truefitt & Hill 1805 Creme and Aftershave, I just absolutely love the scent and I smell like royalty after a shave. I also love Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap too, my face just feels amazing after shaving with it. I use to be on Badger & Blade when I first started off Wet Shaving but just couldn't handle being on more than on forum at a time. One more amazing shaving soap is Sterling just FYI.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've been using a Merkur (MK 23C) with Astra blades for around a year now. The only reason I switched from a Mach3 was because of $$$. I'm cheap and proud of it. The razor was ~ $25 and 100 blades were ~ $10. So I'm set for the next few years. I just checked Amazon and a 15 pack of Mach3 blades is $30. That might last a year.

I watched some video's of guys shaving and some made it sound like you had to do everything exactly correct or you would chop your head off. I have not found that to be the case. I feel that I can shave just as well with a safety razor now as I could with a Mach3. I did struggle with shaving the lower portion of my occipital bone (back of head) when I first started. Since I'm bring my beard back my head is all I shave anyways. I've only shaved my face with it once. When I took off my big beard (11 months) and started over. So I can't speak much about shaving my face with one.

I'm very happy I switched. Maybe someday I'll get into all the soaps and brushes.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I watched a lot of Mantic59 videos. The best thing I learned was to shave in multiple passes. Like a dunce, I always assumed that one shave would be sufficient, so I went against the grain at times to get an extra smooth shave. Now I do four passes: with the grain, across the grain one way, across the grain the other way, then finally against the grain. This does wonders for irritation because when cutting against the grain, the whiskers are at their shortest length. The sharper razors and better soaps help to make a better cut, at lower costs, and a closer, better feel. I keep a styptic pencil in the drawer for cheap insurance.

I just ordered 300 Astra blades for $30. At 10¢ a blade, that's a lifetime supply.

At the risk of sounding like Bernstem, here's what I do:

I start with a pre-shave oil and then add some Proraso pre-shave cream. My wife made me a pottery bowl that I mix Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar soap with a WSP badger brush. After four passes with my Mühle R89 razor, I run an alum block over my face to help close any micro nicks. Then a splash of Witch Hazel followed by a rinse of Clubman, and I'm so fresh my wife has to slap me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I tried it for a bit with a shavette but always ended up with a crappy shave or a bloody face. I never was able to successfully shave the chin area. Having 2 young kids, I shave in 30 seconds in the shower versus the 10-15 mins of wet shaving. I do however think that once I gain a little more time, I'd like to get back into it.

G

·
I'm using some taylor of old bond street Eton college shave cream. They have a few I like, still using persona and astra blades, leaning slightly with the personna though.

·
Super Moderator
5,473 Posts
firefighter11 said:
I'm using some taylor of old bond street Eton college shave cream. They have a few I like, still using persona and astra blades, leaning slightly with the personna though.
I use all 3 of those products :thumbup: I have quite a few of the TOBS scents as you can't beat the price with the quality of shave you get.

Are you using the Personna Blues?

G

·
Mightyquinn said:
firefighter11 said:
I use all 3 of those products :thumbup: I have quite a few of the TOBS scents as you can't beat the price with the quality of shave you get.

Are you using the Personna Blues?

Yep 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you recommend the Personna Blues?

I've been using Astra blades for the past few years. For a razor I'm using a Merkur 34C. For blades, I started on Derby, then switched to Astra and have been on those for a few years. I usually get a few nicks in the neck area with the Astras no matter how much I prep and how careful I am when shaving that area. I'm down to my last 10 or so Astra blades, so I may add the Personnas to my list.

·
Super Moderator
5,473 Posts
Darkshadow said:
Do you recommend the Personna Blues?

I've been using Astra blades for the past few years. For a razor I'm using a Merkur 34C. For blades, I started on Derby, then switched to Astra and have been on those for a few years. I usually get a few nicks in the neck area with the Astras no matter how much I prep and how careful I am when shaving that area. I'm down to my last 10 or so Astra blades, so I may add the Personnas to my list.
I recommend them as I have been using them in my rotation for the last couple of years. My rotation consists of (Astra, Personna Blues, Feather and Voskhod)

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
When I was shaving every day, I got some products from The Art of Shaving. 2 years ago, I stopped shaving, and grew out my beard. I had my beard grow to the length where the tip of it was halfway down my chest... it got pretty long. I was battling some severely dry skin on my chin and under-neck area, and last week shaved it all off. I still had my badger hair brush, pre-shave oil and my soap that is in their teak bowl, although I balked at getting another cartridge for my Mach 3. I still had one more cartridge, and have been using that, but yesterday I picked up a safety razor in the store that had some german made blades. Going to give it a try tomorrow morning, but I probably will become a bloody mess like my son when he first learned to shave.

One thing I have to say is that when I started using TAOS products, I was shaving my head and face, and never got any nicks or cuts when I used all of their products. I really believe they put out a quality product.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I use a shavette because I didn't wanna bother with sharpening and stropping when I first got into it. I'm still on my same small box of Dovo blades since 2012. Although I don't have much facial hair and don't shave daily. Best shave I get and cheap!

·
Registered
364 Posts
dfw_pilot said:
I enjoy it. This is my bathroom counter:

I got one of these. I like the cheap blades and the nostalgia of it, but find the shave is not as good as your average store bought Gillette Mach3. I can shave a lot faster and not slice my face up with a Mach3.

I still use the old single blade if I'm not in a hurry though.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.