Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed two or three weeks ago some weird spots that were turning brown. The area I noticed this in... is the parking strip between the sidewalk and the road. It also happened to be a very thick area due to the slit seeder dropping a ton of seed here.

The first time I inspected it, it was wet and a little sticky. The blades were kind of laying down. The blades were green, although a lighter green compared to the surrounding area.

Now it's orange/yellow and still sticky. It's kind of matted down. Is this a fungus? This is in an area I didn't water.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Looking at the pictures, it's very hard to tell but it kind of looks like a different type of grass. The OP indicated it was a little lighter and the blades were laying down, so I'm wondering if it's a small patch of something like bentgrass going brown due to lack of water. Or maybe Bermuda that got sprayed with 2,4D. Or it could very well be rocks, or dogs peeing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Usually you will have a dark green in the same circle with the dead grass with dog piss. Another possibility could be grubs, just need to pull up the turf to see if you have a large population of grubs in that area.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
j4c11 said:
Let's back up a little. Your profile says TTTF but it looks like there's bluegrass in there. Is it a mix?
Yep, it's a mutt lawn, especially these front parking strips.

j4c11 said:
Did you spray and herbicide lately in those areas?
No, I only laid down mesotrione.

GrassDaddy said:
Check with a screwdriver. We had a boulder at our corner..
Screwdriver test came up negative.

lewb said:
Usually you will have a dark green in the same circle with the dead grass with dog piss. Another possibility could be grubs, just need to pull up the turf to see if you have a large population of grubs in that area.
Would grubs make it sticky though? I thought the blades would dry out if grubs are killing the turf from below.

The dog thing crossed my mind. The first time I noticed it, I touched it and it felt a little wet and thought that I just put my hand in fresh dog piss.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, an update... those spots did end up somewhat dying, but the healthy grass is spreading into those areas, kind of.

But down at the end of the driveway by the parking pad, the newer grass is starting to develop similar symptoms. The blades are laying down, yellowing, and kind of crusty:

The sidewalk is at the bottom of the image. At the bottom, you can see where I had the previous trouble spots.

And then in what I suspect is a completely separate issue, there is some yellowing going on in the front yard, in healthy grass.

What's going on?

·
Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
15,314 Posts
Besides the likely fungus activity going on, I do think your lawn is too long. A long blade that flops around will retain moisture. Once you add some higher temps you will get a perfect environment to grow fungus. So i think you need a chemical control + a cultural control too.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Crap, I think that's it for those dead-looking spots. Thanks, DJT. I first noticed this when I mowed after about an entire week of rain every day. Then the next week it was really hot. These spots developed not only at the end of the driveway (pictured), but also in new TTTF around my fence line and around the garden box. I have seen some recovery but I did lose some of the new grass.

I hope it's not too late to recover the rest. It's supposed to be hot this week. I'm already watering that area due to heat stress and it's new grass, should I focus on watering?

The "other" patch in the front yard in the second half does look like it might be leaf spot/melting out or brown patch. It's not a huge area, it's not round, it's not obvious.

Sounds like it's too late for fungicide now for either case.

I'm mowing at about 3" in the front and shorter in the back because dogs.

For watering I'm just hand watering the end of the driveway (first pics in my last post) and then in the back I'm watering for 10 minutes a day three times a week to help the new grass resist the hot weather.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My sense is that it is not getting enough water. You should water until a 6" screwdriver easily penetrates the soil all the way to the handle. 10 minutes 3 times a week is not going to cut it, unless your sprinklers put our 1/3" of an inch in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
kds said:
I'll check that out.

DJT, are your grass blades laying down too or are they pretty much upright?

The thing that confuses me is the grass blades are laying down. Not sure if it was a combination of Ascochyta plus long blades plus me watering, or if it's something other than Ascochyta.
KDS...they are straight up

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.