Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to stop buying those over priced Bayer herbicides. Thinking about some Home Depot brand HDX 41% glyphosate and spot spray away. Aren't we looking to kill weeds and grasses off? Obviously it will take out the grass we want. Sprayed low to the ground will limit that. Basically do the same thing for way less money. You got pain in the rump goose grass? Bayer Revolver is $250.00 per quart. Home Depot HDX glyphosate is $14.27 a half gallon. For guys like me with large yards, this will help tremendously. What do you guys think?

slomo

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
The 64oz bottle of HDX costs $14.27 and covers 12,600ft2[/sup]. With a modest 8% sales tax rate, that works out to $1.22 per thousand.

A 10oz bottle of Celsius costs $105.95 delivered and covers 88,500ft[sup]2 at the high rate. That's $1.20 per thousand - and it's worth noting that not all weeds require the high rate.

So they are essentially the same price, and the Celsius won't damage the bermuda.

By all means do what suits your budget/style when it comes to goosegrass (or any weed for that matter), but I don't think it's fair to throw out a blanket statement like "those over priced Bayer herbicides" when that is really not the case for most post-emergent weed control. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I tank mixed 0.9 ml of quicksilver with a gallon water 1000sqft with MSO surfactant and spot sprayed it. It completely killed my goosegrass. It was dead dried up and most of my other broadleaf weeds, and left my young Bermuda sprouts alone and happy.
Bottle was $100 for 8oz
30 ml = 1 oz
I used 0.9 ml to treat 1000sq feet
So 1 ounce will treat 33,000 square feet
One bottle will treat 264,000 square feet
If my math is right that's .00037 per square foot or $0.37 per 1000 square feet.
It's just weird you don't think 0.9ml would not be enough. That's half of a half of a teaspoon.
I'm using it because of my young Bermuda. Will switch to better stuff once grass matures.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Tellycoleman said:
It's just weird you don't think 0.9ml would not be enough. That's half of a half of a teaspoon.
I'm using it because of my young Bermuda. Will switch to better stuff once grass matures.
It is odd how such a small amount of product is needed over such a large area, it still blows my mind how well some of this stuff works.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
Certainty is another one that seems expensive up front but actually isn't and it will kill everything that Celsius won't.

1 Bottle of Certainty=$75 Certainty on eBay

Applications at High Rate= 44(.8g/K and 35.4g in one bottle)
Cost per 1K=$1.70($75÷44=$1.70)

Most likely you won't be spraying this in a broadcast application so if you are spot spraying you only need to use half that amount in 1 gallon of water so you would get 88 gallons of solution to "spot" spray which would reduce the price down to $.85 per application.

Just FYI, the Certainty label recommends mixing the .8g into 2 gallons of water to cover 1K of lawn but if you are just spot spraying you can half that amount (.4g) into 1 gallon of water that will cover only .5K of lawn.

·
Registered
553 Posts
slomo said:
I'm about to stop buying those over priced Bayer herbicides. Thinking about some Home Depot brand HDX 41% glyphosate and spot spray away. Aren't we looking to kill weeds and grasses off? Obviously it will take out the grass we want. Sprayed low to the ground will limit that. Basically do the same thing for way less money. You got pain in the rump goose grass? Bayer Revolver is $250.00 per quart. Home Depot HDX glyphosate is $14.27 a half gallon. For guys like me with large yards, this will help tremendously. What do you guys think?

slomo
I know MSMA has been prohibited from home use but I picked up 2.5 gallons for $67 from a feed store in Henryetta. Not that far of a drive from OKC. I believe it treats 4+ acres. It will last me a life time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.