Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this video while searching for more information about verticutting equipment. The demonstration shows the difference of water penetration with and without verticutting. I'd prefer if the water application was done at a slower consistent rate to mimic rainfall or irrigation.

With my lawn on a hill, I find this very interesting, please let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/yPrTba-OG3c

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
It makes sense but I didn't care for the video too much as he was just throwing water on it and a lot was spilling off. I do think it's important to verticut/ aerate and add sand to help water and nutrients get down to the roots through the organic matter that builds up over time. It's even more important the lower you mow.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both, wife purchased a cheap electric verticutter from Amazon for Valentine's Day. I'll try it out for my spring scalp, but I dought it'll work in thick healthy Turf. The last 220B will be a project for verticutting, much like what SimonR has done.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
I think a converted reel mower is the ticket when it comes to verticutting. You get the benefits of 1) near infinite depth adjustment, and 2) being able to contour the lawn the same way a greens mower does with the drum and front roller.

Those are the biggest drawbacks/limitations I see with my Classen Turf Rake. It behaves more like a rotary push mower with regard to depth adjustments and rolling on four wheels.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Ware said:
I think a converted reel mower is the ticket when it comes to verticutting. You get the benefits of 1) near infinite depth adjustment, and 2) being able to contour the lawn the same way a greens mower does with the drum and front roller.

Those are the biggest drawbacks/limitations I see with my Classen Turf Rake. It behaves more like a rotary push mower with regard to depth adjustments and rolling on four wheels.
+1 with Greens mowers (front and rear rollers) being best. Next I would say a TruCut with a front roller due to more HOC adjustments over something like a McLane

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Depending on how deep you are wanting to verticut, A converted greens mower may not have the power to cut through the thick rhizomes of Bermuda. Where a dedicated verticutter should have the power to get the job done.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
Depending on how deep you are wanting to verticut, A converted greens mower may not have the power to cut through the thick rhizomes of Bermuda. Where a dedicated verticutter should have the power to get the job done.
I was wondering about this being an issue. There are ways to get more hp out of a lawn mower engine though. Especially the Honda engines, have you ever been to a lawn mower race?

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mightyquinn said:
SimonR doesn't seem to have any issue. It would all depend on the mower; I could see someone having issues with a belt driven 3hp Mclane.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Redtenchu said:
Found this video while searching for more information about verticutting equipment. The demonstration shows the difference of water penetration with and without verticutting. I'd prefer if the water application was done at a slower consistent rate to mimic rainfall or irrigation.

With my lawn on a hill, I find this very interesting, please let me know what you think.

I am with the other guys and don't really care for this video. I think he wasted a lot of the potential of the water by just dumping it on there. He should've either done a time-lapse video of a sprinkler system over them side by side maybe or poured the water slowly to avoid the spillage over the sides.

Obviously the verticut allowed more water to penetrate, but I felt like it could've allowed even more of a noticeable difference if done correctly.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
146 Posts
All great thoughts above. I think the video still has value in that it shows another advantage of verticutting. Obviously, a more scientific approach would yield more accurate data - but it appears to prove the point.

His method of dumping the water over the top of the grass creates quite a bit of variables. It actually reminds me of Ian Malcolm explaining chaos theory in Jurassic Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cVLUPwrSmU

According to the verticutting video, you are getting a 20% increase in water penetration - but this is specific to this soil profile. It would be interesting to see (using a more controlled experiment) how other soil types are affected. Essentially, it should be the same as the thickness of the turf is what is initially slowing the water penetration, but it still piques my curiosity.

Even 7th grade level science experiments have their merit. If they show a possible outcome that is beneficial, someone else can always come behind them with a higher quality experiment to substantiate the findings - or prove them false.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Redtenchu said:
I'd prefer if the water application was done at a slower consistent rate to mimic rainfall or irrigation.
Mightyquinn said:
It makes sense but I didn't care for the video too much as he was just throwing water on it and a lot was spilling off.
touchofgrass said:
I think he wasted a lot of the potential of the water by just dumping it on there. He should've either done a time-lapse video of a sprinkler system over them side by side maybe or poured the water slowly to avoid the spillage over the sides.
Wes said:
His method of dumping the water over the top of the grass creates quite a bit of variables.
I think we all agree the video/experiment should've been done differently. :p

I'm excited to see the benefits of verticutting first-hand this year. Keeping the turf under 0.50 inches for the season was a challenge, the turf density was awesome, but caused some "hydrophobic like" issues. I'm hoping to open the canopy of turf to create better water/nutrient/air penetration.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Are you planning on using any wetting agents this year in addition to the verticutting?

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Wes said:
WOW!

So does the surfactant need to be in the water during irrigation, or is it something that can be applied to the soil separately through spraying?
It can be applied through spraying. Just like mixing up anything else you would apply to your lawn. (Celsius, Prodiamine, Primo.....)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.