Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 502 Posts

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most of us, I'm a little ahead of where I usually am this time of year. I finished last season at 0.750" HOC (bench), and I've spent the last couple weekends verticutting and scalping down to 0.350". I am pleased with the way it looks and I am looking forward to green-up. I'll post updates in this thread as the season progresses.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I did a major leveling project last spring, so I am enjoying a much smoother lawn. I plan to start the season around 0.375" and then see where it goes. I'd like to maintain at 0.500" or less all season, but will ultimately settle for anything under the max HOC of my reel mower. :lol:

SGrabs33 said:
Looks great and you can already see quite a bit of green. It looks like the worms are loving it too!
Funny you mention the worms... I think the birds might be loving it more. Word got around quick that it's easy to find worms in 0.350" bermuda. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ware said:
Thanks guys. I did a major leveling project last spring, so I am enjoying a much smoother lawn. I plan to start the season around 0.375" and then see where it goes. I'd like to maintain at 0.500" or less all season, but will ultimately settle for anything under the max HOC of my reel mower. :lol:

SGrabs33 said:
Looks great and you can already see quite a bit of green. It looks like the worms are loving it too!
Funny you mention the worms... I think the birds might be loving it more. Word got around quick that it's easy to find worms in 0.350" bermuda. :D
Just remember, they are eating your worms and likely depositing weed seeds. My heaviest infestations of Poa is always under the trees.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of my absolute favorite times to be on my lawn is after dark, with the patio lights on and a little light from the street. The imperfections seem to melt away and it looks like carpet. I like to walk around on it with a good cigar and just relax. It's hard to capture, but I snapped this photo a little bit ago.

HOC is currently 0.350" and I'm about 75% green. It's not at 100% fill yet - I did an aggressive verticut (in 2 directions) a few weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
lagerman72 said:
Looks great! I feel the same way early morning when there is still dew on the lawn and it's nice and quiet out. Great time to lawn look at low grass :thumbup:
+1. To me there is nothing more relaxing than waking up early on the weekend and drinking coffee and watching the sprinklers water a short cut lawn.

Another advantage to cutting short is you can see all the imperfections.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a cut in this afternoon ahead of the rain - you can see it in the sky in the last photo. HOC is 0.350". Green-up has stalled a little, but no complaints. :D

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
J_nick said:
Redtenchu said:
Looking Great!
Especially that strip between you and you neighbor :lol:
So here's the story on that... I was mowing 2 passes on the outside of my sidewalk (down and back), but when I located my property pins for the upcoming irrigation project, I was basically cutting about a pass and a half over onto their side. They don't live here (I actually mow their lawn), so it's cool, but I decided I should stop reel mowing that extra pass. :D

1 - 20 of 502 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.