Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
Joined
·
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using these product for quite awhile and have had very good success with them (the active ingredients, different brand names).

TALSTAR P (Active Ingredient-Bifenthrin 7.9%)


This product is good for almost every insect out there like spiders,ants,fleas and a whole host of others. For lawns all you need is 1oz/K every month to keep them at bay and it's safe for kids and pets once it is irrigated into the soil or is dry. I am going to be adding it to my wetting agent that I am applying monthly, it can be mixed with other products but you will want to make sure that it is compatible before mixing up large doses. Just use a 1 gallon jug and put your solution in there and shake vigorously to see if it mixes well, if it does then you can just add the gallon to your mix!!!

This can also be used around your house for perimeter sprays around the foundation and around windows and doors. It is also safe to use inside the house just make sure to keep pets and kids away until it dries.

ImidaPro 2 SC (Active Ingredient-Imidacloprid 21.4%)


This product is good for all your soil dwelling insects like grubs, army worms and caterpillars and the like. For lawns all you need is .6oz/K every 3 months to keep them at bay. It is recommended to put this down BEFORE any infestation occurs but I have used it after discovering the nasty little critters with good success. The earlier in the life stages you can catch them with it, the better control you will have. If you are applying every 3 months from Spring till Fall you shouldn't have any issues with the above mentioned pests. This needs to be watered in within 24 hours after application to make sure it is washed through the thatch layer, so just time an application with rain or irrigation. This too is safe for pets and kids once it is dry or watered in. Be sure to test mix this product also before adding it to another product, I do know that this CAN be mixed without any issue with the Talstar P that I mentioned above.

I hope this post was helpful and as with anything you are applying to your lawn be sure to READ THE LABEL before application as this is just a quick overview of the products.
 

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
Joined
·
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
southernguy311 said:
This is the same combination I use. I spray them together twice a year.

Q1- Bif/imid
Q2- Bif
Q3- Bif/Imid
Q4- Imid
I plan on a similar schedule except I'll be putting down Bifenthrin every month and Imidacloprid every 3 months. I'm already seeing results from ImidaPro as every morning there are quite a few grubs laying dead on the lawn for the birds to come by and eat!!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: thoffenkamp

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Beetle larvae are my big issue, and I just used Imid this year with 2 apps, mid-spring and mid-summer and had no beetle larvae issues what so ever. Use your AI nozzles and as MQ mentioned water in straight afterwards as it systemic and root absorbed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
Alan said:
I've got mole crickets, so I may try some of the ImidaPro. I've been soaping them and killing them when they surface, but that's kind of tedious.
Glad you found us alan!!
I bought these products a few weeks ago after mighty suggested them. So far I'm 100 satisfied. The talstar (bif) is working great! The first night after application, I had a bunch of critters coming out and dying!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
Be sure to test mix this product also before adding it to another product, I do know that this CAN be mixed without any issue with the Talstar P that I mentioned above.

I hope this post was helpful and as with anything you are applying to your lawn be sure to READ THE LABEL before application as this is just a quick overview of the products.
Any idea if both of these can be mixed with a PGR?! Im due for my next application I'm having to leave town for the weekend and decided to put down a low dose of PGR to keep the lawn from growing too tall while I'm gone. I'm Trying to spray them all at once.
 

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
Joined
·
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iriasj2009 said:
Mightyquinn said:
Be sure to test mix this product also before adding it to another product, I do know that this CAN be mixed without any issue with the Talstar P that I mentioned above.

I hope this post was helpful and as with anything you are applying to your lawn be sure to READ THE LABEL before application as this is just a quick overview of the products.
Any idea if both of these can be mixed with a PGR?! Im due for my next application I'm having to leave town for the weekend and decided to put down a low dose of PGR to keep the lawn from growing too tall while I'm gone. I'm Trying to spray them all at once.
I tried to mix them a few years ago and they didn't mix well but I had also added Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate so I was thinking that may have been the culprit. All you have to do is get a gallon jug and add the correct amounts for 1K and give it a good shake and then wait a few minutes to see if there are any chunks or separation. If it does mix well you can just add the 1 gallon you made to what you are going to spray. It may work without the FAS! Please report back your findings if you decide to test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
Iriasj2009 said:
1493138100[/url] user_id=68]
Mightyquinn said:
1491183509[/url] user_id=51]
Be sure to test mix this product also before adding it to another product, I do know that this CAN be mixed without any issue with the Talstar P that I mentioned above.

I hope this post was helpful and as with anything you are applying to your lawn be sure to READ THE LABEL before application as this is just a quick overview of the products.
Any idea if both of these can be mixed with a PGR?! Im due for my next application I'm having to leave town for the weekend and decided to put down a low dose of PGR to keep the lawn from growing too tall while I'm gone. I'm Trying to spray them all at once.
I tried to mix them a few years ago and they didn't mix well but I had also added Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate so I was thinking that may have been the culprit. All you have to do is get a gallon jug and add the correct amounts for 1K and give it a good shake and then wait a few minutes to see if there are any chunks or separation. If it does mix well you can just add the 1 gallon you made to what you are going to spray. It may work without the FAS! Please report back your findings if you decide to test.
Iriasj2009 said:
Mightyquinn said:
1491183509[/url] user_id=51]

Be sure to test mix this product also before adding it to another product, I do know that this CAN be mixed without any issue with the Talstar P that I mentioned above.

I hope this post was helpful and as with anything you are applying to your lawn be sure to READ THE LABEL before application as this is just a quick overview of the products.
Any idea if both of these can be mixed with a PGR?! Im due for my next application I'm having to leave town for the weekend and decided to put down a low dose of PGR to keep the lawn from growing too tall while I'm gone. I'm Trying to spray them all at once.
Shouldn't have any issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I wouldn't combine a PGR with an insecticide to treat soil lurking insects. If you're using bifthernin or imidiclporid they need to be watered in immediately as exposure sunlight will degrade their effectiveness. Given that you want a PGR on the leaf for as long as you can, I would split apps up into foliar and soil treatments. I know the Primo label says it is rain fast after 1 hr (I think) but I've had better results leaving PGR on the leaf as long as possible.
 

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
Joined
·
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SimonR said:
I wouldn't combine a PGR with an insecticide to treat soil lurking insects. If you're using bifthernin or imidiclporid they need to be watered in immediately as exposure sunlight will degrade their effectiveness. Given that you want a PGR on the leaf for as long as you can, I would split apps up into foliar and soil treatments. I know the Primo label says it is rain fast after 1 hr (I think) but I've had better results leaving PGR on the leaf as long as possible.
I agree with you Simon but sometimes you have to do things just because of time constraints and if you time your application in the late evening as the sun is going down it will limit the exposure to the sun and as long as you water in the morning, I think you should be ok.

I try to apply my insecticides with my Wetting agents as they both need to be applied to the soil and the PGR, I usually mix with FAS as they both need to stay on the leaf blade for as long as possible.

You do bring up a good point and something people should consider when spraying "mixes" on the lawn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
SimonR said:
I wouldn't combine a PGR with an insecticide to treat soil lurking insects. If you're using bifthernin or imidiclporid they need to be watered in immediately as exposure sunlight will degrade their effectiveness. Given that you want a PGR on the leaf for as long as you can, I would split apps up into foliar and soil treatments. I know the Primo label says it is rain fast after 1 hr (I think) but I've had better results leaving PGR on the leaf as long as possible.
I agree with you Simon but sometimes you have to do things just because of time constraints and if you time your application in the late evening as the sun is going down it will limit the exposure to the sun and as long as you water in the morning, I think you should be ok.

I try to apply my insecticides with my Wetting agents as they both need to be applied to the soil and the PGR, I usually mix with FAS as they both need to stay on the leaf blade for as long as possible.

You do bring up a good point and something people should consider when spraying "mixes" on the lawn.
I sprayed yesterday in the evening and watered it in this morning. I had to leave town this morning which was the reason I sprayed both together. I guess the pesticide could have waited but I just went ahead and combined it this one time. Thanks for the responses guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
So, Biftherin (Talstar or Bifen IT) contains a chemical called Permethrin. I use this stuff too, but I'm rethinking. Not sure what else to use. I'm primarily concerned about ticks and this stuff works really well on them.

Just a heads up. This article I link to is worry some, especially for people with small kids who play in the yard all the time (like mine). Dr. Google also has a lot more articles about Permethrin which aren't exactly glowing reviews.

http://www.anapsid.org/pyrethroids.html
 

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
Joined
·
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We use to use Permethrin in the Army whenever we were in the woods and especially before we went to JRTC(Joint Readiness Training Center) in the backwoods of Leesville, LA. They had it in spray cans and we also use to soak our uniforms in it, let it dry and then wear them to keep the bugs and ticks away. As far as I know, I don't have any side effects from it:)

I think as long as you are safe and logical with the stuff you and your kids/pets will be fine. Once it's dry or washed into the soil it's fairly harmless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
I have been using these product for quite awhile and have had very good success with them (the active ingredients, different brand names).

TALSTAR P (Active Ingredient-Bifenthrin 7.9%)


This product is good for almost every insect out there like spiders,ants,fleas and a whole host of others. For lawns all you need is 1oz/K every month to keep them at bay and it's safe for kids and pets once it is irrigated into the soil or is dry. I am going to be adding it to my wetting agent that I am applying monthly, it can be mixed with other products but you will want to make sure that it is compatible before mixing up large doses. Just use a 1 gallon jug and put your solution in there and shake vigorously to see if it mixes well, if it does then you can just add the gallon to your mix!!!

This can also be used around your house for perimeter sprays around the foundation and around windows and doors. It is also safe to use inside the house just make sure to keep pets and kids away until it dries.

ImidaPro 2 SC (Active Ingredient-Imidacloprid 21.4%)


This product is good for all your soil dwelling insects like grubs, army worms and caterpillars and the like. For lawns all you need is .6oz/K every 3 months to keep them at bay. It is recommended to put this down BEFORE any infestation occurs but I have used it after discovering the nasty little critters with good success. The earlier in the life stages you can catch them with it, the better control you will have. If you are applying every 3 months from Spring till Fall you shouldn't have any issues with the above mentioned pests. This needs to be watered in within 24 hours after application to make sure it is washed through the thatch layer, so just time an application with rain or irrigation. This too is safe for pets and kids once it is dry or watered in. Be sure to test mix this product also before adding it to another product, I do know that this CAN be mixed without any issue with the Talstar P that I mentioned above.

I hope this post was helpful and as with anything you are applying to your lawn be sure to READ THE LABEL before application as this is just a quick overview of the products.
Does this stuff work for mosquitoes?
 
1 - 20 of 192 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top