Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to review the VonHaus 2 in 1 Lawn Dethatcher & Aerator - 12 Amp 13" Corded Electric with 4 Working Depths.

Features:
1. 2 in 1 corded dethatcher and aerator.
2. 13-inch working width and 4 working depths.
3. 1 x aerating and 1 x scarifying roller included.
4. Dual purpose drum with easy roller change.
5. 12 Amp / 1500W electric motor.
6. 10.5 Gallon (40L)collection bag.
7. Only 27lbs.
8. MSRP $150 USD ($120 @ Amazon).

Bench Cutting Depths using Fixed blades:
Level 4 = 1/4 inch above surface.
Level 3 = 1/8 inch below surface.
Level 2 = 1/4 inch below surface.
Level 1 = 1/2 inch below surface.

First impressions:
I must say, I was skeptical about this item after looking at it online. There is just an overall cheap look to it, the bright color plastics and small size just screamed cheap at me...

Assembly:
After receiving the unit, the assembly was very simple. Attach the handle (4 pieces) and attach the control/power cord to the handle assembly... it's ready to go!

Maiden Voyage:
I started by using the Aerator roller attachment, as I felt it was the best option for my needs. I was VERY impressed with its performance, easily chewing through thick stolons of Bermuda. The action of the Aerator roller gave it a forward motion that allowed me to just hold the handle and guide the unit as it pulled. I never felt out of control using the tool, and overall had very little fatigue. The unit noise was comparable to an older vacuum cleaner, so I didn't feel hearing protection was a requirement. The collection bag was a total waste of time.

Results from the unit:
I was able to get a tremundus amout of dead matrial off the lawn in a single pass.

Final verdict:
This budget-friendly unit is fantastic for that spring clean/scalp, getting the lawn ready for another season. I'm happy to say, I'd recommend this tool for anyone wanting to get that extra material off the lawn without dealing with the back breaking work of manual raking.

I don't feel it's comparable to a gas-powered unit in any way, and if available, I'd always recommend the heavier gas powered units over this.

Future use ???:
The jury is still out as to its effectiveness in living Bermuda Turf during the growing season. I plan to modify the roller in an effort to use it more like a Verticutting unit, I'll try and keep this thread update as I make progress.

· Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,576 Posts
Nice write up Red!! I too am surprised it did as good of a job as it did.

· Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,867 Posts
Excellent review. It looks like it did exactly what you needed it to do.

I like the short (front-to-back) wheelbase - I think that is probably a limitation of my Classen if a lawn had severe undulations.

One thing in your photos that caught my attention was the double-offset blades. That's a unique way to get by with fewer blades.

· Registered
151 Posts
Great review Red! I just checked Amazon and it's on sale for $109 now, so I think I'll grab one of these and use it a few times as opposed to renting a flail blade from local store.

........and I just ordered it for delivery tomorrow.

· Super Moderator
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lagerman72 said:
Great review Red! I just checked Amazon and it's on sale for $109 now, so I think I'll grab one of these and use it a few times as opposed to renting a flail blade from local store.

Awesome! Feel free to add your 0.02 to the review!

· Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,867 Posts
lagerman72 said:

That's not a bad way to look at it... even if you only got a couple uses out of it, it would likely be cheaper than renting a flail blade dethatcher a couple times. Not to mention it looks like it makes a cleaner cut.

· Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the great review. After seeing the price on this thing, I'm interested. It seems like a great value.

How much of a problem was the cord? I don't think it would sway my opinion much based on the review, but if you told me it was a major pain I might reconsider.

Also, I'm unsure that I understand the difference in using this as a dethacher vs. a verticutter. It essentially seems the same to me. Would someone mind chiming in on the finer details that I'm missing?

I totally don't get how it aerates the lawn. It appears to be much different than the typical aerators that punch holes (solid tine or hollow tine) that is typically used for this. So, some information here would be useful as well.

· Registered
151 Posts
I just received mine, put it together and front is all wobbly on one side. I took it apart and below is where the weld is broken that holds the front wheel on:

I called Amazon and as it's third party they can't ship me one without me buying it first, just not sure if I want to do that or not. I can return it for a refund or see if it's worth getting this welded. Bummer is I really wanted to do this and scalp tomorrow.

· Super Moderator
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wes said:
Thanks for the great review. After seeing the price on this thing, I'm interested. It seems like a great value.

How much of a problem was the cord? I don't think it would sway my opinion much based on the review, but if you told me it was a major pain I might reconsider.

Also, I'm unsure that I understand the difference in using this as a dethacher vs. a verticutter. It essentially seems the same to me. Would someone mind chiming in on the finer details that I'm missing?

I totally don't get how it aerates the lawn. It appears to be much different than the typical aerators that punch holes (solid tine or hollow tine) that is typically used for this. So, some information here would be useful as well.
The cord definitely wasn't helpful! :lol:

I think calling the item an "aerator" is just a form of marketing, they know people have heard good things about aeration!

The Dethatcher is like using a rake. It pulls and removes thatch or other matter from the surface. Dethatchers works best on Northern grasses that grow vertically like Fescue, KBG and PRG.

A Verticutter is like a slicer. It also removes thatch or other material from the surface but additionally cuts stolons and some rhizomes of southern grasses like Bermuda.

Hope that helps Wes.

· Super Moderator
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tbdh20 said:
Red,
Thanks for the info and review. At that price, considering picking one up for the bermuda front lawn. Did you run it at max depth in one pass?
Thanks
Yes! Max depth was in the soil, but it's hard to see in these pictures because it was so dry.

That reminds me, I wanted to take a measurement of the depths!

· Super Moderator
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reporting back about the modifications made today. I took a dremel and sharpened the dull stock blades down to simulate a rotary mower edge for more of a cutting action and less ripping. I started out by only doing one side, so I could compare the sharpened side, to the insharpened side.

Unfortunately, this made zero difference. The grass was still being ripped from the ground at all available HOC.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.