Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lawn-heads, Just wanted to get your guys views on the use of a Vinegar/liquid soap mix. As some of you have read I am currently, like most having to battle weeds that are new to me. One thing I tried on a very weeded area was a mixture of vinegar and liquid soap which kill those green bastards fast!

I do get the fact that if used everywhere it will hurt/kill the lawn, so lets get that out of the way. But for spot treatments and the likes of that, what are your thoughts?

Thanks
------------------------
What keep you awake at night?
Nothing. I keep other people awake at night.
- SoD James Mattis

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Are you only using white vinegar and dish soap? How much of each in the mix? How do you prefer to apply it to the weed?

I've tried combos like that before, but never could get the ratio correct for a complete kill. I think mine included epsome salt too.

Personally, I've moved away from nonselective herbicides like this and RU. I've found that a good Pre emergent program, and some hand pulling when needed works best for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Redtenchu said:
Are you only using white vinegar and dish soap? How much of each in the mix? How do you prefer to apply it to the weed?

I've tried combos like that before, but never could get the ratio correct for a complete kill. I think mine included epsome salt too.

Personally, I've moved away from nonselective herbicides like this and RU. I've found that a good Pre emergent program, and some hand pulling when needed works best for me.
only vinegar and dish soap. I have a spray bottle I use filled with white vinegar from a dollar store with a "healthy dose" of soap. I go by feel. But I would probably say a 6 to 1 ish. Don't put salt in it.

Unfortunately I did not have the knowledge or even the wherewithal of doing a pre emergent. but that will be on the list for next year.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Mikelawkent said:
Unfortunately I did not have the knowledge or even the wherewithal of doing a pre emergent. but that will be on the list for next year.
Never too late to start a PreE program!

I think my vinegar mix included water, maybe that's why it wasn't very effective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.