Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the weather has been mild here in the northeast and it seems to be improving. While today was 10F, the next few days are touching 50s.

Its a great time I feel to get some bed work done since the lawn is still solid frozen and not soggy like initial spring. It's been mostly dry so all the leaves taht I didnt rake/blow are less wet.

Will start with a few pictures

The yard has lost color especially with the drop in temperatures over the last few days.

My aim for this year are alot but il start for now until spring and keep updating as we go.

Goals

Feb-March

-Blow out beds and rake out all the leaves
-Trim back some of the large shrubs/evergreens next to the house in size and bottom branches to make bed maintainence easier

-Perimeter wild bushes need to be trimmed back and blown out, they are encroaching on the lawn
-Rent a bed redefiner (HD I think) and get better definition of most beds
-Small trees and shrubs also need a better definition of their perimeter

-need to decide on a pre-Em for the beds and commit to it. Been debating between a 27$ preen for a 22lb bucket vs snapshot 50lb for $120.

Trim back the rhododendrons next to the house both in size and the bottom branches to make working in the bed easier- though I think this will be after they bloom I think

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2/21

Got my trusted honda mower out. I didn't winterizE it and had started it once in between. One pull and it started right up

Did blow some beds out at the back of the house and then gathered the leaves up with the mower with the bag in. Life was easier.

Aim is to start doing this, once or twice a week to get everything cleaned out before soft and rainy spring arrives.

Also bought an ego rapid charger a few days back on sale.

Didny get a chance to do the central bed since it needs a few things cut before I can blow it. Il plan to trim it with a weed wacker and rake everything out.

As you can see the beds need to be redefined or in some cases just defined .. lol

Also the last picture shows one of the shrubs that needs to be trimmed at the bottom a bit

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
For anyone reading uts's journal, the 10F was an overnight low. I think 8F was the lowest we've had so far this Winter. Or maybe it was 10F another time as well. Something like that. No negative temps this year.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uts said:
2/21

Got my trusted honda mower out. I didn't winterize it and had started it once in between. One pull and it started right up

Did blow some beds out at the back of the house and then gathered the leaves up with the mower with the bag in. Life was easier.

Aim is to start doing this, once or twice a week to get everything cleaned out before soft and rainy spring arrives.

Also bought an ego rapid charger a few days back on sale.

Didny get a chance to do the central bed since it needs a few things cut before I can blow it. Il plan to trim it with a weed wacker and rake everything out.

As you can see the beds need to be redefined or in some cases just defined .. lol

Also the last picture shows one of the shrubs that needs to be trimmed at the bottom a bit

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Nice Rhodies! We had them growing up and I don't have any now, but am partial to them, because my Dad loved them. They usually do well in shaded, acidic soil, so keep an eye on that for lawn care considerations.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Green said:
For anyone reading uts's journal, the 10F was an overnight low. I think 8F was the lowest we've had so far this Winter. Or maybe it was 10F another time as well. Something like that. No negative temps this year.
True that.. have some temperature fluctuations over the last few weeks.. highs of 60s, lows of teens. It was low 20s low today ..

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris LI said:
Nice Rhodies! We had them growing up and I don't have any now, but am partial to them, because my Dad loved them. They usually do well in shaded, acidic soil, so keep an eye on that for lawn care considerations.
I am sure my soil is crazy acidic. It gets some shade especially in the evening since these are planted on the east side of the house.
I will need to prune them though soon.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The milder temperature and some rain had made some of the lawn fairly soft. I was trying to blow some beds and borders and started sinking/rutting at one place.

Will try pruning some trees today to decrease shade and some moss issues. Also need to expand where the grass grows.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
I liked the Rhodies so much, I breezed past your pruning question. If you haven't gotten to it yet, I would start with the branch hanging low and to the right. Cut near the base, but not into the collar, where the wound would be much larger. The bark on the collar will repair over time. Also, if you thin out any gnarled limbs, that will give the good limbs more opportunity to flourish, and may get a little more light through the canopy down to the turf. Start lightly and step back several feet every so often to visually inspect for appearance, symmetry, etc. You can always go back another day to trim a little more, but you can't undo big mistakes. And never top a tree. If you cut the leader (topmost vertical branch up from the trunk-typically the tallest central branch), you essentially begin the slow demise of the tree. Sorry if I'm late to the game with the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris LI said:
I liked the Rhodies so much, I breezed past your pruning question. If you haven't gotten to it yet, I would start with the branch hanging low and to the right. Cut near the base, but not into the collar, where the wound would be much larger. The bark on the collar will repair over time. Also, if you thin out any gnarled limbs, that will give the good limbs more opportunity to flourish, and may get a little more light through the canopy down to the turf. Start lightly and step back several feet every so often to visually inspect for appearance, symmetry, etc. You can always go back another day to trim a little more, but you can't undo big mistakes. And never top a tree. If you cut the leader (topmost vertical branch up from the trunk-typically the tallest central branch), you essentially begin the slow demise of the tree. Sorry if I'm late to the game with the suggestions.
Not at all. Was planning to do this tomorrow so you are on point! Thank you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi UTS,

I am hoping to leverage some of your experiences regarding your flower beds. I have been "reclaiming" some overgrown areas and getting some perennials going. I also get a lot of weeds. You mentioned in the caption on one of the photos "my snapshot hasn't delivered yet" in the context of some weeds. It isn't clear if snapshot is a product or referral to you photo being a snapshot.

In any event what are your recommendations for strategy to control weeds in your flower beds?

Weeds and seasonal grasses have overrun my phlox as an example.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kallgren said:
Hi UTS,

I am hoping to leverage some of your experiences regarding your flower beds. I have been "reclaiming" some overgrown areas and getting some perennials going. I also get a lot of weeds. You mentioned in the caption on one of the photos "my snapshot hasn't delivered yet" in the context of some weeds. It isn't clear if snapshot is a product or referral to you photo being a snapshot.

In any event what are your recommendations for strategy to control weeds in your flower beds?

Weeds and seasonal grasses have overrun my phlox as an example.
Hey,

I am by no way experienced as I just started doing this.

Snapshot is a pre-emergent for broadleaf weeds. It's a combination of Isoxaben 0.5%, and Trifluralin 2%. For the grassy weeds I would spray some prodiamine. Also mulch beds.

I feel the fight in flower beds is much more difficult than the lawn. Do some parts at a time. A good plan is what is desperately needed - timely action, pre-emergent and mulch is my plan for this season. :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also put down this pennington seed which I had bought 2 years back before finding this site in areas where I am completely hopeless of any growth. Had gotten them for 4 bucks. Lol

Stomped on the soggy soil in most areas for good contact and let it be. It will rain intermittently every 2-3 days, will see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Starter out with this

Had to be careful because there are 2 sprinklers at either corners and a line running between (I assumed)
There is also a tree which the wife hates but i have a soft spot for some reason and it has a lot of roots above ground which i could see even before i started

Like this huge thing

Look what I almost hit ...

Saw a lot of earthworms which was great.

End result

This is what came out

Decent size area that's left

For the most part I tried staying superficial to not hit anything.. between 4-6 inches. Im sure I ledt some roots back. If something grows i can just pull them up by hand.

1 - 20 of 380 Posts