Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. If one were to go look at used greens mowers, what are the things that you really want to check other than the obvious ones. Obviously you want to make sure it runs, no nicks in the bed knife, controls function well. How do you inspect the reel to see how much life is left in it, etc.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I'd bring a screwdriver and socket set. The last one I bought (GM1000), I took off the side panels that cover the belt drives and pulleys. It's fast and easy to do, but new pulleys are $60+ each and belts add up quickly.

The reel can probably have a lot of wear and still provide years of homeowner use remaining if backlapped. Air filters are easy to check and also easy to clean or replace, but a dirty one shows you what type of owner it had.

Finally, if they don't budge on price, describe the reel paper cut test. Then pull a strip of paper out of your pocket and proceed to see if the reel cuts paper perpendicular to the bed knife. When it doesn't cut it, say, "Oh wow." Then say nothing and wait for the price to start dropping.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
dfw_pilot said:
Finally, if they don't budge on price, describe the reel paper cut test. Then pull a strip of paper out of your pocket and proceed to see if the reel cuts paper perpendicular to the bed knife. When it doesn't cut it, say, "Oh wow." Then say nothing and wait for the price to start dropping.
Great advice, but I couldn't help but laugh at the "Oh wow". :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dfw_pilot said:
I'd bring a screwdriver and socket set. The last one I bought (GM1000), I took off the side panels that cover the belt drives and pulleys. It's fast and easy to do, but new pulleys are $60+ each and belts add up quickly.

The reel can probably have a lot of wear and still provide years of homeowner use remaining if backlapped. Air filters are easy to check and also easy to clean or replace, but a dirty one shows you what type of owner it had.

Thanks dfw! This helps a lot. Now I need to find something in the price range I'm interested in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.