Lawn Care Forum banner
1261 - 1275 of 1275 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
klsmith259 said:
Twangin said:
falconsfan said:
Don't have answers to all your questions but the HOC lever is definitely upside down. Correct that and then order a HOC sticker and grooved roller from Reel Rollers. If you're adding a roller, might as well go grooved. Also make sure you grease all the zerks on the mower. Somewhere in this thread is a diagram with all zerk locations, 7 or 8 IIR. Grease them every 10 cuts or so. Good luck!
Thank you! Any particular grease/gun fittings I need to use?

Was planning on getting grooved roller but wanted to make sure the extra $ for it wasn't a waste.
Just a heads up the adjuster plate that is on upside down is too small for the HOC sticker. The sticker is based on a newer version of the plate. It also may be upside down to prevent the left clutch rod from hitting the exhaust. I had that problem when i replaced the briggs engine with a predator and also bought the newer adjustment plate.
Good to know- So do you think I may need to just leave the hoc adjuster plate upside down?

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you use the current briggs engine it shouldnt be a problem either way. If you swap to a honda style engine it most likely will scrape/rub the muffler.

the choke lever i would search for the carb/engine model #. Those levers arent always the same so it may be trial and error.

As for the roller if you have any hills or inclines i would get the grooved. I believe most people prefer and buy the grooved roller. Either will be fine on a flat lawn.

·
Registered
6.5k of Tifway 419 in N. Alabama
103 Posts
ricmaz said:
The guy that sharpens my C27 ordered a bed knife for it from Reel Rollers about 3 weeks ago. Still hasn't arrived. Anyone have a source for the bed knife? Anyone else having this issue?
I'm waiting on the 27" bedknife from RR too. I called them and they said it's on backorder and expect them soon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Someone more knowledgeable can chime in, but I don't think a backlapping will fix the nicks. You need to take it in and have the bedknife and reel sharpened at minimum. If you need a new bedknife it is cheap to replace. The reel is much more expensive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Reel_Alabama said:
ricmaz said:
The guy that sharpens my C27 ordered a bed knife for it from Reel Rollers about 3 weeks ago. Still hasn't arrived. Anyone have a source for the bed knife? Anyone else having this issue?
I'm waiting on the 27" bedknife from RR too. I called them and they said it's on backorder and expect them soon.
I'm not sure what is going on, but it seems like a lot of parts are being ordered from the new company directly when needed. I replaced the HOC plate and it took 2-3 weeks for RR to receive it and after that it was promptly shipped to me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
klsmith259 said:
Reel_Alabama said:
ricmaz said:
I'm not sure what is going on, but it seems like a lot of parts are being ordered from the new company directly when needed. Maybe managing inventory costs or just due to new logistics. I believe there was a warehouse in Georgia previously but that's not the case anymore? I replaced the HOC plate and it took 2-3 weeks for RR to receive it and after that it was promptly shipped to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone found another tru cut distributor or been able to get parts directly from tru cut? I understand new ownership at tru cut has been a problem with sending parts. It's been over a month for an order at reel rollers. Seems no one can give an estimate of when the parts will be shipped.

·
Registered
191 Posts
jpos34 said:
@klsmith259 What predator engine did you use to replace your briggs. I have an older model briggs on a c-25 that im thinking about replacing, and how easy was the swap?
212cc predator. The swap is easy. Potential issues or challenges include length of chain, removing the sprocket from the current engine/shaft to transfer to new engine, hoc adjustment rod and muffler clearance depending on old or new index plate, and rotating the pull cord orientation.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The delay is REAL getting parts right now. It's not all parts, but there is a considerable back log on bedknives, reels, and clutches.

This will be a short lived problem for Tru Cut. Their challenge is they did not have an off season or spring to build up inventory, they were moving facilities during that time. 2023 will be much better

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a tru cut p20. I replaced the clutch assembly a few weeks back and it worked fine for a few cuts. I cut the front yard at lunch time and it worked fine. Went out after work to cut the back. It worked fine for a few passes then when I tried to push the thumb control for the drive part of the clutch it wouldn't go in or engage that side of the clutch. However the thumb control that engages the reel also is now controlling the drive part of the clutch. I.e. I push in the control to turn on the reel the drive part works as well. I also noticed that when the mower is turned off the the reel and the drive chain moves and it doesn't normally do that. The whole clutch spins around. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Luthersrose said:
I have a tru cut p20. I replaced the clutch assembly a few weeks back and it worked fine for a few cuts. I cut the front yard at lunch time and it worked fine. Went out after work to cut the back. It worked fine for a few passes then when I tried to push the thumb control for the drive part of the clutch it wouldn't go in or engage that side of the clutch. However the thumb control that engages the reel also is now controlling the drive part of the clutch. I.e. I push in the control to turn on the reel the drive part works as well. I also noticed that when the mower is turned off the the reel and the drive chain moves and it doesn't normally do that. The whole clutch spins around. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.
I believe the assembly is just too tight. Loosen the nuts on the left side (facing the reel) and that should solve your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Do you have a TruCut reel mower and have a question about working on it? Do you have something to share? Ask or share here.​
First, it's great to have another NCer in here. What part are you from?

That's a pretty expensive guess. How much did the new clutch assembly run you. I have dealt with my share of TruCut problems but I do not know to tell when the clutch needs replacing. I'm not sure if there is anyone else on here knows any of the tell tale signs of when it goes bad???

What size chain are you using to do the replacement. I think the correct # is 40. That's weird that the link is breaking. Maybe the chain is too loose and that's causing extra wear and stress on the link. I'm not too sure. The best way to replace the chain is to count the links of the old chain and match that number to the new chain. That way the only difference in the two should be the stretching of the original.

Do you know what is included in the whole assembly that you purchased? Drive sprocket and both clutch cups for both sides? It shouldn't be too hard to replace as long as you are good at keeping track of what goes where and are somewhat mechanically inclined. If you were able to do a write up of the process with lots of pictures I think that would help a lot of people out in the future. I've been told my clutch may need replacing sometime soon.

You will definitely have to do some adjusting but MightyQuinn has done a great outline of that process above. It will be slightly different for the P20 but you should get the jist.

Do you have a picture of your reel and the chain area? I doubt we would be able to tell what is going with a pic but might as well try.

Also, what makes you think that the new chain you have will fit with the new clutch assembly? The drive sprocket replacement is not going to change in size enough to make a difference for that, I don't think.

Finally, I've been typing this on my phone in bed so I apologize for typos or if any of my comments seem aggressive. I've been going with train of thought typing.

Welcome to the forum!
I also have a P20 mower and the repair shop said I will probably need to replace the clutch assembly since the reel binds sometimes and I need to stop it and manually clear the grass from the blade. Online from Reel Rollers the whole assembly is about $350. Does anyone know if I need to get a skinny wrench to adjust the 2 locking nuts on the shaft?

1261 - 1275 of 1275 Posts