Lawn Care Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 1275 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks. Looking for some help with a TC C-27 mower. We've burnt through 2 clutches in a year. The first time I lost drive capability, this time I lost the reel side of things. Mower is less than 4 years old. I cut seashore paspalum,, short (setting 2-3) weekly, about an hour and a half runtime, so not over working the mower. The answer from the guy who has 'maintained' the mower is a new clutch. That get's expensive. Trying to figure out what might be causing this? Not operating correctly? Some preventive maintenance step I am missing? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Been eyeing an older looking C27 locally listed at $650. No grass catcher, no front roller, and seller says "the choke broke so I have a secondary choke modified on it".. so obviously would not pay full price.
I'm really torn between this and a 25" McLane.
What's the lowest HOC on the TruCut C27? I've read info saying both 1/4" and 3/8" is the lowest. Would want to be able to scalp as low as possible.

·
Registered
181 Posts
IIR both hoc are correct, depending on if you have the wheels on high or low setting. Reel Rollers sells a sticker with the various hoc's. The TC is much easier to adjust the height on the fly and is built better IMO. All chain driven with zerks to keep everything lubed properly. It takes a little more maintenance but it's really only a few minutes every 10 cuts or so. If the wheels still have decent tread it's probably got some good life left. If they are bald it's got a lot more use on it. Try it out to make sure you're comfortable. The 27 is a beast and is tougher to handle than a 20 inch. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
falconsfan said:
IIR both hoc are correct, depending on if you have the wheels on high or low setting. Reel Rollers sells a sticker with the various hoc's. The TC is much easier to adjust the height on the fly and is built better IMO. All chain driven with zerks to keep everything lubed properly. It takes a little more maintenance but it's really only a few minutes every 10 cuts or so. If the wheels still have decent tread it's probably got some good life left. If they are bald it's got a lot more use on it. Try it out to make sure you're comfortable. The 27 is a beast and is tougher to handle than a 20 inch. Good luck.
Thanks. The tires still have a ton of tread left on it, and it has a B&S 5hp motor on it. If it had a roller on it already I'd be jumping on it. The fact that I have to get a grass catcher AND a roller really adds to the "true" cost of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Twangin said:
How much remaining relief on the reel should one be looking for when looking at used Tru Cuts?

For reference, is the amount on @jpbaker14 a good benchmark for used and not need an immediate grind?
Good question. I'd like to know the answer to that as well. I backlapped it today and it's cutting paper all the way across now.

I'm hoping I'm good for the rest of this season. I'm struggling to find some one that will do a relief grind close to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
jpbaker14 said:
Twangin said:
How much remaining relief on the reel should one be looking for when looking at used Tru Cuts?

For reference, is the amount on @jpbaker14 a good benchmark for used and not need an immediate grind?
Good question. I'd like to know the answer to that as well. I backlapped it today and it's cutting paper all the way across now.

I'm hoping I'm good for the rest of this season. I'm struggling to find some one that will do a relief grind close to me.

Hopefully someone will chime in on this since it does play into the offer price when buying on the used market. I'm no expert by any means but by looking at your pics it looks like you still have a good bit of relief left on that reel.

A company called Reel Rollers just launched a feature on their website that helps folks find someone near them that offers reel grinding.. may be worth you checking that out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, I just picked up a new-to-me Tru Cut C27 as my first reel mower!

Overall I feel like it's in great condition for it's age, it functioned well while testing, and this thing just feels so SOLID and well-made.

I'm really excited and have a few questions I was hoping for some input on:

Any confirmation on what year model this would be? I'm think around 1997 per motor serial number.

Any input on how much life is left on the reel? Needs a backlap as It's not cutting copy paper at the moment. Also might need a reel to bed knife adjustment as the contact seems to be extremely minimal, maybe even a tiny gap. Good thing is there are zero nicks or gouges.

Here's a pic of the bedknife that shows the only dings I could find on it. Is this ok?

Any recommendation on locating replacement for this plastic part that's broke on the choke? Also curious why there's a choke labeled on the throttle, as well as the main choke lever on the engine?

Should the HOC adjustment lever be on the underside like this? Most TCs I've seen have them on top.

Lastly, I want to go ahead and order a roller. Is the grooved roller really that much better than smooth? Will be cutting tifway 419.. both at low chipping green HOC and then around 1"-ish for the bulk of my yard.

Any other recommendations for first things to do are welcome- Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't have answers to all your questions but the HOC lever is definitely upside down. Correct that and then order a HOC sticker and grooved roller from Reel Rollers. If you're adding a roller, might as well go grooved. Also make sure you grease all the zerks on the mower. Somewhere in this thread is a diagram with all zerk locations, 7 or 8 IIR. Grease them every 10 cuts or so. Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
falconsfan said:
Don't have answers to all your questions but the HOC lever is definitely upside down. Correct that and then order a HOC sticker and grooved roller from Reel Rollers. If you're adding a roller, might as well go grooved. Also make sure you grease all the zerks on the mower. Somewhere in this thread is a diagram with all zerk locations, 7 or 8 IIR. Grease them every 10 cuts or so. Good luck!
Thank you! Any particular grease/gun fittings I need to use?

Was planning on getting grooved roller but wanted to make sure the extra $ for it wasn't a waste.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Twangin said:
falconsfan said:
Thank you! Any particular grease/gun fittings I need to use?

Was planning on getting grooved roller but wanted to make sure the extra $ for it wasn't a waste.
Just a heads up the adjuster plate that is on upside down is too small for the HOC sticker. The sticker is based on a newer version of the plate. It also may be upside down to prevent the HOC rod from hitting the exhaust. I had that problem when i replaced the briggs engine with a predator and also bought the newer adjustment plate and it solved the problem.

1241 - 1260 of 1275 Posts