Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a nice note in the mail today with the following quote printed on it:

"Govern wisely, and as little as possible." -Sam Houston​

I thought this might be a cool thread to share "quotable quotes". :thumbup:

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From this thread...

raldridge2315 said:
I have been lurking here for a while and have been a lawn hobbyist for many years. I saw this post and thought that I would jump in.

In 1964 I had a part time job working in a plant nursery (and yes, I'm showing my age). The owner gave me a book titled "The Lawn Book" by Dr. Louis N. Wise, Professor of Agronomy and Dean of the School of Agriculture, Mississippi State University. It is copyrighted 1961. It is a book about growing southern grasses. In his description of common bermuda, he says; "If properly fertilized and managed it makes a fine turf. In fact, it is still being used on the putting greens of some very fine golf courses."

While he provides excellent details of turf management, his basic message is that you can't buy a nice lawn. You earn it. .... water, fertilizer, sunshine and sharp mower blades. The bottom line as I see it, is the HOC is more dependent on how much work a person is willing to invest in it and not necessarily on the grass variety..

My lawn (here in north Alabama) is, and has been for a long time, Tiflawn. I keep it at 3/4" as no matter how many times I sand it, holes and dips continue to appear. ...does anyone know how to get rid of chipmonks that contribute to the hole development. At my age, I don't know how many more rounds of sand are left in me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
"The only people that matter are the people that fit in your car." - Mark A. Vieta. <--- That's me in case you were wondering. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.