Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 364 Posts

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocky Patel (the man) was at my local tobacconist last night for a special event.

It was a great opportunity to try the Rocky Patel Special Reserve Sun Grown Maduro, the 2016 Cigar Aficionado #2 Cigar of the Year...

I came home with a personalized box of Rocky Patel Vintage 1990's and one of the coolest ash trays I've seen. :D

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pleasantly surprised with this one - it's a Nording 50th Anniversary by Rocky Patel. It was one of the "freebies" that came with the box I purchased at the Patel event last week. Probably not one I would have purchased, but a good smoke nonetheless. It was made to honor Danish pipemaker Erik Nording's 50th year in the tobacco industry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been enjoying some Davidoff Cigars recently. I really enjoy the Maduro Robusto's. Only a mild to medium smoke but incredibly smooth and full of great flavour. Only problem is, here in Australia they're $48 per stick!

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lawn Nut said:
I have been enjoying some Davidoff Cigars recently. I really enjoy the Maduro Robusto's. Only a mild to medium smoke but incredibly smooth and full of great flavour. Only problem is, here in Australia they're $48 per stick!
Nice! Those look great. I don't think my local shop carries Davidoff, but I will check. Looks like it's a ~$20 stick over here. Are they all more expensive there?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ware said:
Lawn Nut said:
Nice! Those look great. I don't think my local shop carries Davidoff, but I will check. Looks like it's a ~$20 stick over here. Are they all more expensive there?
Yea they are unfortunately. The federal government raises taxes on Tobacco and Alcohol every 6 months as a measure against tobacco and alcohol related illness and then again every time they need to find some extra money in the budget. I normally buy from online from the US and test my luck in not getting my package checked through customs. Cigar Palace seems to have the best prices. I also dont mind some of the CAO sticks.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Avo Syncro Nicaragua was CA's #16 Cigar of 2015:

There are a lot of "firsts" for the Avo Syncro Nicaragua brand. It's the first regular-production Avo to be box pressed. It's the first regular-production box-pressed cigar to ever come out of Davidoff of Geneva's factory in the Dominican Republic. And, as is indicated in the name, it's also the first Avo to use Nicaraguan tobacco. The name is also meant to suggest synchronization between the different tobaccos in the blend, which include Nicaraguan tobacco from Ometepe and Dominican tobacco types such as Piloto Cubano, San Vicente and a hybrid tobacco spawn from Piloto and Olor. The Toro's blocky dimensions and smart blending allow each tobacco to express itself, showing notes of leather, minerals and a dried apricot sweetness.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Oliva Serie V Melanio Maduro Robusto is a full-body limited edition box pressed cigar utilizing Nicaraguan binder/filler and a dark San Andres (Mexican) wrapper. The Melanio series is named to honor Melanio Oliva, who is believed to be the first member of the Oliva family to grow tobacco.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A good friend of mine sent me a PerfecDraw, and it has once again saved a good cigar. Ever had a cigar with a draw that was just a little too tight? It happens, and this is the tool to fix it. :bandit:

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My local tobacconist hosted a Brick House Cigars event this afternoon. These get pretty high ratings for a nicely priced stick.

ETA (from Wikipedia): Thomas Riley Marshall (March 14, 1854 - June 1, 1925) was an American Democratic politician who served as the 28th Vice President of the United States (1913-21) under Woodrow Wilson. Well known for his wit and sense of humor, one of Marshall's most enduring jokes came during a Senate debate in which, in response to Senator Joseph Bristow's catalog of the nation's needs, Marshall quipped the often-repeated phrase, "What this country needs is a really good five-cent cigar", provoking laughter.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Today I had this Liga Privada No 9. Beautiful (oscoro) wrapper, enticed my purchase months ago. I'm sure it was the dbl corona.

Good cigar, got a bit harsh in the last 3rd. I forgot I usually don't prefer an oscoro anything.

Drew estates owns the label

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've cut back on cigars and moved to pipe. Cigars just got too expensive.
I have a few pipes, some that are very nice that I don't want to get damaged, but my favorite yard work pipe is my corncob. i don't care if I drop it.

JB

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jbrown said:
I've cut back on cigars and moved to pipe. Cigars just got too expensive.
I have a few pipes, some that are very nice that I don't want to get damaged, but my favorite yard work pipe is my corncob. i don't care if I drop it.

JB
First, I edited the thread title to be a little more inclusive. :D

I bought an unfinished Savinelli (blem) from my local tobacconist last fall, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. I either have trouble keeping it lit, or I smoke it too fast and generate moisture. There seems to be no middle ground. It is definitely less expensive, but I usually say 'to hell with it' and grab a cigar before heading outside. :lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ware, yeah it take a little getting use to. Packing the bowl make a big difference too. Keep practicing and watch a few youtube videos, there's some great tips out there. I have Savinelli 320KS that I love, but it's not for yard work.

JB

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One of my favorites... a 5x50 double robusto...

Oliva Master Blends 3 is the third offering in a series of limited artisanal blends. Liga Maestra is specifically blended to deliver the richest characteristics of Nicaraguan ligero fillers and Broadleaf sun-grown wrappers. It is a complex cigar crafted for the most developed palate.

Wrapper: Broadleaf Sun-Grown
Binder: Nicaraguan Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is my cheap Savinelli pipe. It was an unfinished 'blem' that I rubbed a little olive oil on. You can see it has filler in a few spots.

I'm smoking some Stokkebye Highland Whiskey while watching Oral Roberts beat up on Oklahoma State in the Arkansas Regional. :bandit:

1 - 20 of 364 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.