Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For me:

-The most important thing that makes a lawn look good is an even soil surface

-Milorganite is overrated (there comes a time when you have enough soil P)

-Fertilization is just as much as art as a science, and specific products will come and go in your region over the years

-Irrigating one inch once per week may not be the best method for every situation or season. It's just a rough estimate

-Compost is overrated in some ways

-Never sacrifice turf quality just because you read not to fertilize at a certain time of year, but also be responsible

-Lower rates of fertilizer more often are almost always better, and not just for fast release N products, but all macros and all release rate N sources (especially N).

-There will not be a selective herbicide that effectively and safely removes Poa Trivialis in home lawns anytime soon*

*This one is a joke, but is so true.

Premium Member
AUDIT YOUR IRRIGATION - I should have done this YEARS ago, as all the experts here have always said.

I actually took the time this year to check every single head for 100% coverage and to swap in new heads.

Did a lot of research on which style of head would be best for a specific zone and my overall soil type (clay.)

I can finally say my sprinklers are fully tuned in and my lawn has never (seriously, NEVER) looked as good as it does now.

So many things that I thought were pest issues were just drought issues.

Premium Member
--A beautiful, healthy lawn is more about the soil than the grass. Get a soil test and learn to read it before you ask questions.

--Get the "Picture This" app. Pay for a year. You'll waste more money than it cost. Learn to identify weeds and match your herbicide.

--Do a search in the forum first! Then ask questions.

--Find a community as close to local as you can. You will have the same type lawn, weather and problems.

Premium Member
4,556sqft Zone 6 MI
1. Not to wait to spray fungicides.

2. Checking the soil for moisture and adjusting irrigation throughout the growing season.

3. Grass surrounding trees need more water.

4. Mower blades need sharpening more than once or twice a year.

5. Calibration of equipment is necessary.

6. Check the Cool Season Guide before asking questions.

Premium Member
Get comfortable with doing the basics for two or three years before doing any advanced tasks. I'm a cool season guy, cutting at 3.5-4 inches over about 40,000 ft so these thoughts may not apply equally for very small lawns or warm season grasses.

The BASICS are:
  1. Mowing. Mow two or three times a week when the grass is growing. the 1/3rd rule is a real thing, and the 1/5th rule is better. Alternatively, get a robot mower! Pre-Emergent.
  2. Use pre-emergent herbicide and use it early.
  3. Post-Emergent. If you spray weeds, read the label, follow the label, and use repeat applications as the label instructs. Several weeds need more than one treatment. This is your best shot at killing them and will use less chemicals overall than heavy handed spraying or haphazard re-application.
  4. Fertilize. Put down a little bit in summer, a medium amount in spring, and the most in the fall. Dont work too hard to find the PERFECT fertilizer. Just throw it down according to the label.
Advanced tasks are:
  1. Leveling the lawn. Ok, filling in a few holes is not extreme, but dont try to level the whole lawn with sand or compost like you see on youtube.
  2. Renovation. Killing off the existing grass is a high risk plan, and unless you have done consistent pre-emergent for several years, there are probably billions or trillions of weed seeds ready to germinate.
  3. Reel mowers and cutting short. Short grass should be cut more often, requires smoother lawns and just takes more effort than longer grass.
  4. Aeration. It takes a lot of time and effort that is probably better spent doing the basics.
  5. Killing grassy weeds. this one is painful, but removing grassy weeds like poa triv or bengtrass is extremely difficult. best to just live with them for a couple years until your skills improve and the broadleaf weeds are under control.
  6. Soil tests. This will be controversial, but I believe that a generic and basic maintenance plan will work for the vast majority of beginners for the first couple years.

Premium Member
Front- Mazama Mono. Side- Nuglade, Everest, Midnight.
That the wife would eventually grow resentment at the fact that all I talk about is grass. My kids would start avoiding eye contact with me because they thought it might open up the door for dad saying "hey guys you wanna help dad in the yard!?"
That my wife would eventually get annoyed with me going to the kids soccer's games because I would point out the grass and what I'd do to improve it if I were the one in charge on managing it.
Wish I would of known that even my friends would block my number because they were sick of me talking about Plant bourn pathogens, PGR, fungicides, fungistats, herbicide, Pest management integration, soil makeups, GDD, and a whole laundry list of shit they never wanted to talk about 馃槀
Wish I would have known years ago, that the hobby that I love and absolutely would make my neighbors think I was a certified lunatic because I was standing on a electrical box in the middle of a rain storm at 1am with a spot light because I wanted to make sure my seed wasn't getting washed out of my renovation for the 3rd time. That the hobby that I love would eventually set me on a path to owning my own landscape business and leaving my union job to pursue my passion.
Lastly, I wish I knew about TLF a long time ago. It confirmed to me that I am not the only clinically insane person out there. There's a bunch of us.

P.S Any of you guys wanna talk about grass??

馃槀馃槀

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Green have you tried fungus and heat stress? POA is down to a decimal percentage of what it use to be after my lawn got torn up!
Lol. Check out the last paragraph here:

Registered
That the wife would eventually grow resentment at the fact that all I talk about is grass. My kids would start avoiding eye contact with me because they thought it might open up the door for dad saying "hey guys you wanna help dad in the yard!?"
That my wife would eventually get annoyed with me going to the kids soccer's games because I would point out the grass and what I'd do to improve it if I were the one in charge on managing it.
Wish I would of known that even my friends would block my number because they were sick of me talking about Plant bourn pathogens, PGR, fungicides, fungistats, herbicide, Pest management integration, soil makeups, GDD, and a whole laundry list of shit they never wanted to talk about 馃槀
Wish I would have known years ago, that the hobby that I love and absolutely would make my neighbors think I was a certified lunatic because I was standing on a electrical box in the middle of a rain storm at 1am with a spot light because I wanted to make sure my seed wasn't getting washed out of my renovation for the 3rd time. That the hobby that I love would eventually set me on a path to owning my own landscape business and leaving my union job to pursue my passion.
Lastly, I wish I knew about TLF a long time ago. It confirmed to me that I am not the only clinically insane person out there. There's a bunch of us.

P.S Any of you guys wanna talk about grass??

馃槀馃槀
OMG I鈥檓 not the only one!!! 馃槅

I went apple picking and commented 鈥渇or grass that everyone walks on, it looks really good. Clearly they did an iron application鈥. Cue wife eye roll lol

The number one thing I am jealous about @wardconnor is not his lawn (as nice as it ids), it is how he got his wife to embrace this crazy passion called lawn care

Premium Member
Front- Mazama Mono. Side- Nuglade, Everest, Midnight.
OMG I鈥檓 not the only one!!! 馃槅

I went apple picking and commented 鈥渇or grass that everyone walks on, it looks really good. Clearly they did an iron application鈥. Cue wife eye roll lol

The number one thing I am jealous about @wardconnor is not his lawn (as nice as it ids), it is how he got his wife to embrace this crazy passion called lawn care
馃槀馃槀馃槀 Definitely sounds familiar. And yeah whatta lucky SOB. I say the word grass too much, and I risk involuntary celibacy for the next month.

Registered
Hustler Raptor, Chapin Spreader, Echo Trimmer,
-It鈥檚 just grass. It will grow back. Or it won鈥檛. Whatever.
-Get a push sprayer instead of a back pack.
-Wear boots when spraying with dye.
-Elite grass is elite for a reason. Builder sod is trash. If you build a new house, just use grass seed and get a refund on the sod.
-Help your neighbors. The craziness is contagious!! Once they see your yard, they want theirs to match. Show them what to do and create another monster. It鈥檚 not weird if everybody does it right?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Relying on biofungicides and waiting on a curative chemical program鈥︹ get burned every year With dollar spot. It ends up taking the entire fall for it to fill in.
I agree, and will use a "curative" fungicide type and dose if necessary. Thankfully that ends up only being once or so a year. Until a few years ago, I was stubborn with this, too. Still don't like the idea of using them often, though...too much expense, resistance issues, potential hazards to the applicator and bystanders, and can throw things off in the soil if used for extended periods.

Reactions: Jeff_MI84

Registered
I wish I had known about Poa triv. The first spring after my renovation in 2013 I noticed ONE sprig of some kinda weird grass. After aerating for a few years it鈥檚 everywhere. Had I known I believe I could have controlled it better, maybe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts