Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,477 Posts
I have half an acre. Putting down seed, fert, and peat moss is one heck of a workout. If you do a full acre, you are going to be all kinds of motivated to keep the seeds and sprouts moist!

Are impact sprinklers an option for you? They would save a lot of time.

How thin is the line between letting fescue be dormant and fescue dying off? Is there a moderate watering schedule he could use to maintain dormancy during the summer and minimize losses from the grass dying off?

· Registered
3,477 Posts
j4c11 said:
social port said:
How thin is the line between letting fescue be dormant and fescue dying off?
Non-existent, especially with first year fescue. You might be able to get away with it once it matures(2-3 year old grass), but from my observations and others in the transition zone, once tall fescue goes brown it does not recover. Most people are stuck in a vicious circle: can't get past summer because the grass is young, can't get mature grass because you can't get past summer.

It was one of the reasons I switched to KBG this year, it's supposed to have better recovery from dormancy because of the rhizomes. I'm still not about to let the entire lawn go dormant in its first year, but I will be pulling a plug tomorrow, placing it in a pot and letting it go dormant. I want to see 1)Will it recover in the fall and 2)If it does, how fast will it spread to fill the pot. Stay tuned, I will start a thread. If KBG is able to recover from dormancy and then do some significant spreading to make up for losses, it may be a superior grass choice for the Transition Zone.
Very interested to know how this turns out. I've read of some people having success with KBG in NC. If you consult NTEP, KBG does well in Tenn as well; I often wonder why it isn't more common here. That being said, NTEP runs the trial in Knoxville, which apparently offers better growing conditions for KBG than the "central basin" in middle Tenn--where I and Vols fan reside.

And I've read numerous times that KBG is just difficult to successfully grow in the southeast. We'll all be eager to hear about your methods. Personally, I would love to try to grow some KBG once I have more experience under my belt and when I am confident in my soil.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Vols_fan08 said:
What kind of KBG could survive our heat? I haven't looked them up much. Would a 10%kbg 90% tttf be worth a shot?
Midnight perhaps. I was also considering Award. Perhaps Everglade. I also considered the 90/10 mix, but was then guided towards 100 percent TTTF--primarily because I lack the expertise of pulling that off right now.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Vols_fan08 said:
social port said:
I have half an acre. Putting down seed, fert, and peat moss is one heck of a workout. If you do a full acre, you are going to be all kinds of motivated to keep the seeds and sprouts moist!

Are impact sprinklers an option for you? They would save a lot of time.

How thin is the line between letting fescue be dormant and fescue dying off? Is there a moderate watering schedule he could use to maintain dormancy during the summer and minimize losses from the grass dying off?
I've always heard old farmers and grass enthusiast around here say just leave your Fescue around 4 inches in the summer. Taller grass equals deeper roots. Obviously disease and fungal treatment comes with taller grass but that's manageable IMO.
Yes, that's what I hear as well. From what I understand, mowing at 4 does not further stress an already heat-stressed lawn and the longer blades allow for better exposure to sunlight.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Vols_fan08 said:
What kind of KBG could survive our heat? I haven't looked them up much. Would a 10%kbg 90% tttf be worth a shot?
Then there are also hybrid bluegrasses. Lots of mixed reviews there, but I've read that one benefit, at least, is its ability to spread. Also, they are heat tolerant, but tend to be no more drought tolerant than TTTF. That's probably not sufficient for most people to make hybrid bluegrass their top choice among competitors.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Vols_fan08 said:
social port said:
1501605910[/url] user_id=337]
Vols_fan08 said:
1501575320[/url] user_id=388]
Picked up my TTTF seed today. $85.00 for 50lb Bags. Got blue tag this time. Excited to see this stuff grow!
What happened with speedway? Were you unable to find it? (Nothing against Defiance--just curious).
I asked around. It's pretty hard to get right now. I was told by the guy that's been selling this for 10 years that these varieties are basically "siblings" to speedway from DLF/SRO. I know the old blend is very dark green and stripes awesome. So I'm sure the new blend is very good.
I'm not familiar with those cultivars; that will give me something else to look into.
Hogan's has tons of TTTF right now and won't be running out anytime soon. He doesn't stock speedway, though. He mentioned that he could order it, but couldn't guarantee the seed quality.

I found a Crop Production Service (mentioned by you in another thread, I believe) nearby, but I haven't been able to learn about speedway availability yet.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
j4c11 said:
I haven't heard back from my Speedway guy either. They're harvesting right now, and they still need to test the seed for weeds and germination before they can sell it.

I did buy some Midnight seed from Outsidepride, it's fresh off the field tested 6/2017.
Midnight, you say? You are going to get me thinking about a KBG experiment again.

Interested to know how the midnight does. You are our last great hope for KBG in the transition zone! Use the force. (Watched Star Wars Rogue One last night).

· Registered
3,477 Posts
j4c11 said:
social port said:
j4c11 said:
I haven't heard back from my Speedway guy either. They're harvesting right now, and they still need to test the seed for weeds and germination before they can sell it.

I did buy some Midnight seed from Outsidepride, it's fresh off the field tested 6/2017.
Midnight, you say? You are going to get me thinking about a KBG experiment again.

Interested to know how the midnight does. You are our last great hope for KBG in the transition zone! Use the force. (Watched Star Wars Rogue One last night).
I'll keep you posted. I have a 1,000 sq ft strip along the driveway that I'm going to re-do with 100% Midnight. Curious myself to see how it holds up, it always tests very well in Raleigh NTEP tests. If it does well through next summer and it looks much better than the Barenbrug blend I'm going to renovate to 100% Midnight next fall.
Do you know what is in the Barenbrug blend?

Midnight does very well in Knoxville, too, but apparently the soil in Knoxville is quite different from the soil in middle Tennessee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.