Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, finally made the switch and have a few questions.

New mower is a Tru Cut C-27!

First of all, I have an irrigation system, I water 1" every Monday at 5 AM, i do my own lawn treatments/fertilizer and cut the grass twice a week - so I have no complaints and it looks great! Very thick and healthy! Was keeping it around 1.75" as a guess with my rotary.

I switched to a reel mower and cut it around 1". I knew I'd have some "scalp" spots taking that much off, but what is the best way to transition this now and get it all back dark green at the new SHORT height? Cut every 2-3 days, or let it grow a bit first before cutting again? I have now cut it three times this week and there's still some yellow or brown spots. Or should I just cut it higher this year and scalp again next spring before going so low? You think my yard needs leveling? It seems pretty flat but I have no idea, its definitely bumpier than mowing carpet. Here's some pics after the third cut this week with the reel. This is around 1-1.25"

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have another reel mower user. I looks like your grass if off to a great start.

If you are looking for your grass to green up nicely you need to scalp a few notches below where you are expecting to maintain the height.
Your're going to notice more bumps in your yard the lower you mow. I'm sure it could use some sand but I would focus on the green aspect first. If there are any large divots you can always spot level with a bag of sand before getting into a big leveling project. With that being said, feel free to jump in head first, many people here have.
Sounds like your staying on top of the watering and fertilization treatment nicely. Remember to adjust that 1" sprinkler based on how much rain you get.

Post a pic of your TruCut when you get a chance. I always like to see the different set ups and everyone loves a good mower picture!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the advice! Here's some shots taken closer up. When I was cutting before with my rotary it was a dark dark green! I know it will look better with the reel, but what do I need to do to get it to green up? The pictures here were taken the same day as the ones above, just a different angle to show the problem areas better! Should I scalp it down real low now and then let it grow from there? Or is the middle of the summer not the best time to do that? Want it back green!!!

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Nice! To have it green up your going to have to up the height following the scalp.

If you like the height of the grass now....
Drop the height two notches to scalp(ideally catching the clippings)
Give it some fertilizer and water
Set the handle back to the desired notch to let the leafy green leaves come back.

It may take a week or two but the work will pay off.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sweet!! Keep us updated on how it's looking!! I'm not far behind you, going to try and have a reel mower by next month and do the same!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Awww man, that's why my whole lawn isn't greening up. I wish I would have known about this 2 weeks ago when I dropped my HOC. I want to maintain at 5/8" but I see I should have scalped to the next lowest level, which would have been 7/16". I guess I will go back to 7/8" for the remainder of the year and just remember this next year.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here it is, scalped horizontally too to be more even. Filled in "trenches" from irrigation install with sand/soil mix.

I through down some fertilizer and watered the heck out of it too.

Cant wait to see what it looks like in a week or so.

I can't cut the strip on the sidewalk any lower really, so didn't scalp it as you can see haha!

Also in the process of replacing a tree in that front island , builder-grade tree didn't make it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.