Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to vent and get an opinion.

Currently, I have a what was an awesome John Deere je75 walk behind and a 42" old but working craftsman tractor.

Long story short, I had my John Deere serviced for the first time in the 10 years I owned it. Typically, I sharpened the blades and replaced the oil, the basics. But this past winter I thought to pay for a full service check up. I had them replace the belt, install a new speed/shifter cable, etc. The issue is, since getting it back, the mower just is not right. The belt keeps popping off and the throttle/transmission is messed up.

The belt is the right one as I bought it and provided it, along with the cable. While I know I can take it back to them, it is not worth it. I am actually considering a CC refund because the work they did was crap. I cannot get the mower into the fast speed with the cable and instead, the transmission disengages at the top speed.

I plan to pull the battery and see if the cable is just not installed correctly, but maybe the transmission is going, I have no idea, but i am super frustrated.

Either way, I have been thinking about a 30" or possible commercial rig. While a floating deck would be awesome, I think it is just out of budget. Last year I almost got one, but talked myself out of it because I said without the floating deck, changing HOC would be a pain, but maybe I just need to stay static. Or only change at the start of the season, low, mid season, high, end of season, low. Problem solved.

My thought would be to sell the John Deere. But at the same time, sell the tractor too. And if I sell the tractor, I can sell the pull behind aerator I haven't used in several years because of fall pre-m. This would get me close to the 30" or even a used 36" commercial.

The only real reason I keep the tractor is for the aerator, but what is the cost of aeration the few times I may need it. I originally bought the aerator with the intention I would aerate all the time.

Or, am I thinking too much and because I have the tractor I should keep it and use it instead? Maybe I am thinking too much and should instead just try to fix the John Deere.

I am cutting 13K, so the 30" or a commercial unit would cut my mow time for sure. I don't know, I just needed to come here and vent about how mad I was last night trying to mow with a mower going half speed. Sometimes good intentions lead to the biggest headaches. Here i thought getting the John Deere serviced would be a good thing, only to have it crate major issues instead.

· Registered
734 Posts
Ugh, that sucks @kolbasz Look what you get for doing the right thing with preventative maintenance. :x Not sure I have any good advice for you, but I think you'll feel better after the service company makes it right by either doing the work correctly, or giving you a refund. Best of luck on whatever you decide!

· Registered
1,086 Posts
kolbasz said:
I need to vent and get an opinion.

Currently, I have a what was an awesome John Deere je75 walk behind and a 42" old but working craftsman tractor.

Long story short, I had my John Deere serviced for the first time in the 10 years I owned it. Typically, I sharpened the blades and replaced the oil, the basics. But this past winter I thought to pay for a full service check up. I had them replace the belt, install a new speed/shifter cable, etc. The issue is, since getting it back, the mower just is not right. The belt keeps popping off and the throttle/transmission is messed up.

The belt is the right one as I bought it and provided it, along with the cable. While I know I can take it back to them, it is not worth it. I am actually considering a CC refund because the work they did was crap. I cannot get the mower into the fast speed with the cable and instead, the transmission disengages at the top speed.

I plan to pull the battery and see if the cable is just not installed correctly, but maybe the transmission is going, I have no idea, but i am super frustrated.

Either way, I have been thinking about a 30" or possible commercial rig. While a floating deck would be awesome, I think it is just out of budget. Last year I almost got one, but talked myself out of it because I said without the floating deck, changing HOC would be a pain, but maybe I just need to stay static. Or only change at the start of the season, low, mid season, high, end of season, low. Problem solved.

My thought would be to sell the John Deere. But at the same time, sell the tractor too. And if I sell the tractor, I can sell the pull behind aerator I haven't used in several years because of fall pre-m. This would get me close to the 30" or even a used 36" commercial.

The only real reason I keep the tractor is for the aerator, but what is the cost of aeration the few times I may need it. I originally bought the aerator with the intention I would aerate all the time.

Or, am I thinking too much and because I have the tractor I should keep it and use it instead? Maybe I am thinking too much and should instead just try to fix the John Deere.

I am cutting 13K, so the 30" or a commercial unit would cut my mow time for sure. I don't know, I just needed to come here and vent about how mad I was last night trying to mow with a mower going half speed. Sometimes good intentions lead to the biggest headaches. Here i thought getting the John Deere serviced would be a good thing, only to have it crate major issues instead.
i definitely feel your frustration. i have a 42" JD zero turn that I took to the dealer for service for the first time this winter. had been doing everything myself but they convinced me to bring it to them when i was in there one day. got the mower back and it was missing a blade, the battery was dead and in the middle of the first cut it blew a head gasket. lots of profane words that day!

· Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
3,260 Posts
I hate to hear of the trouble with the JE75. Those were the best of the best really. Does the elect start still work?

Wish I could help more, but Ohio is just a tad out of my range.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It works, main issue is the transmission.

Electric start did work, need to charge or replace battery.

This weekend I plan to pull the battery and hopefully solve the issue with the Transmission and why the belt pops. Maybe just bend in the little guides.

Maybe then didn't pull the motor to swap the belt and instead put lots of pressure and stress on the transmission instead like dummies.

I hate it knowing I am no small engine mechanic, but the stuff I paid to get done I could do but thought having a look over is a good idea. The only thing I probably can't do is test and adjust the rpm, the one thing I thought would be don't in service as I mentioned it. Not saying it is a problem, but now, who the heck knows.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ended up pulling everything apart this weekend. Took a bit, but I think everything might be back in working order again. Sucks to pay for something you could have done yourself. Annoyed, but at least it seems like I can get on a bit longer with my trusty John Deere.

· Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
3,260 Posts
kolbasz said:
ended up pulling everything apart this weekend. Took a bit, but I think everything might be back in working order again. Sucks to pay for something you could have done yourself. Annoyed, but at least it seems like I can get on a bit longer with my trusty John Deere.
Keep on keepin' on with the JE. I still haven't found anything that will match that series of mower for aftercut appearance and bagging performance. They pack the bag like no other!

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MasterMech said:
kolbasz said:
Keep on keepin' on with the JE. I still haven't found anything that will match that series of mower for aftercut appearance and bagging performance. They pack the bag like no other!
yeah, as much as I would love a commercial rig, I just cant at this time with it working again.

My wife asked if it means we are keeping it again, I told her of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.