Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you folks doing to ensure your cool season grass makes it through the summer with minimal losses?

This year I will be:
  • Applying PGR every 2 weeks.
  • Applying Lesco Moisture Manager monthly.
  • Applying Headway G at preventive rate.
  • Cutting at the mower's highest setting.
  • Watering whenever there's signs of drought stress, as I don't have an irrigation system.

I am considering applying PSCU through summer to maintain turf quality. Any other strategies to help with summer stress?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Last year I did ok doing the following:

• PGR (every 3 weeks)
  • Serenade every 10-14 days *more often if needed
  • Gradually increased mowing height to 3.5"
  • Water *when needed

I try to keep it simple. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ericgautier said:
Last year I did ok doing the following:

• PGR (every 3 weeks)
  • Serenade every 10-14 days *more often if needed
  • Gradually increased mowing height to 3.5"
  • Water *when needed

I try to keep it simple. :thumbup:
How did the Serenade do for you?

I did full doses of PGR every 3 weeks as well last year. This year I'm doing half doses every 2 weeks. It seems to work better and I'm getting 30% longer coverage with the same amount of PGR.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
j4c11 said:
How did the Serenade do for you?

I did full doses of PGR every 3 weeks as well last year. This year I'm doing half doses every 2 weeks. It seems to work better and I'm getting 30% longer coverage with the same amount of PGR.
I have been using Serenade only for the past 2-3 years in the backyard reno and I like it a lot. I haven't seen any issues. You have to be religious though and spray every 10-14 days. I use about 4oz/k. We'll see how well Serenade does on the front/sides mono this year. I'll report back later to see if I need to add Companion or not.

1/2 doses of PGR every 2 weeks is not a bad idea. Got me thinking... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
884 Posts
J4c11 i just got irragation installed and the company that did it has the controller set up to water 3 times a week at 20 mins per zone. Sides of house are set differently. Seems like everyone says deep infrequent water is the best. So this year for me I'll play around with the system. I'm in st louis so our summers are usually hot and humid.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Budstl said:
J4c11 i just got irragation installed and the company that did it has the controller set up to water 3 times a week at 20 mins per zone. Sides of house are set differently. Seems like everyone says deep infrequent water is the best. So this year for me I'll play around with the system. I'm in st louis so our summers are usually hot and humid.
That's a lot of watering, keep an eye out for fungus.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's about to hit the fan. 92 degrees today on my thermometer, 90 yesterday, no significant precipitation in about a week, no rain in the forecast until Thursday(and they normally get that wrong), and low 90s through next week. Time to drag out the hoses. So far, I'm not noticing any significant difference in drought/heat resistance with KBG, it's taking it just about as well as the fescue did last year. We'll see as summer progresses. The one thing I have with bluegrass that I didn't have with fescue is hope, even if it goes brown I have more confidence that it will either recover or fill in when it cools off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thought I'd bump this thread up since j4c has been helping me identify my own bit of harsh-summer browning on fescue.

Screwdriver-test tells me my watering is getting nice and deep, but boy does my lawn look awful with all the browning.
I don't know what grass my neighbors have, since it's all Ireland green, but I'm jealous. Makes me want to kill mine and start over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
j4c11 said:
socopithy said:
I don't know what grass my neighbors have, since it's all Ireland green, but I'm jealous. Makes me want to kill mine and start over.
Take a close-up picture of it, we'll tell you.
Here's an example of my backyard grass, which fares MUCH better than my full-sun front yard - along with the neighbor's grass.

Neighbor's grass pictures are of the strip by the sidewalk, but it's in full sun like my front yard.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.