Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have obviously been caring for my bermuda grass wrong cause I mow it way too high ! But those who know the Bermuda ways can it be striped and how long does it last ? Also what do you use to stripe?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Any mower with some form of weighted roller will definitely lay the grass over to stripe it. It only lasts for a long time once it's been done in the same direction for a while but otherwise should last a few days, which depending upon your mowing height, could be time to mow again. :lol:

To get mine to stripe I've used a home made pvc pipe filled with sand on my rotary (Grass Daddy's channel shows you how to make one), a Mclane reel mower with a front roller attachment and now a greens mower that is quite heavy and has 3 rollers and no wheels.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There is also a Toro Striping kit you can buy if you want to fork out the bucks. It's somewhere in the range of $90-$100.00.

Grass Daddy's is A LOT cheaper.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've got the lawn striper which is the same as the Toro striper. When I was mowing at 3" I could see the stripes but it's wasn't super noticable and only lasted a day. Mowing at 2" I can hardly see the stripes. Honestly I think the best way to stripe Bermuda is with a reel mower and a roller from the videos I've seen, otherwise it doesn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
587 Posts

This is my lawn at 3" with the lawn striper, looked decent but didn't stick out as much as I hoped.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Txmx583 said:
I've got the lawn striper which is the same as the Toro striper. When I was mowing at 3" I could see the stripes but it's wasn't super noticable and only lasted a day. Mowing at 2" I can hardly see the stripes. Honestly I think the best way to stripe Bermuda is with a reel mower and a roller from the videos I've seen, otherwise it doesn't seem worth it.
How did your Bermuda look mowing at 2 inches compared to 3 ? Not stripes but just in general. I'm mowing mine high right now but thinking of lowering it but I have a very uneven lawn.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think it looks great!! It looked bad for a week or two since I took it down all at once, but now it's greened back up and is actually getting thicker.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Here's it at 3"

And here it is at 2"

I think in another week the 2" cut will be fully healed and looking great!! I just took it down about 2.5 weeks ago.

·
Registered
587 Posts
That part sucks but honestly it's wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, there was still some green haha

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just mowed, here's the before and after with "The Lawn Stryper". It looks decent but not as good as I was hoping, I'll get rid of it once I get a reel mower. It would work really well on St. Augustine though.

Before

After

·
Registered
587 Posts
BrettWayne said:
Txmx583 said:
Just mowed, here's the before and after with "The Lawn Stryper". It looks decent but not as good as I was hoping, I'll get rid of it once I get a reel mower. It would work really well on St. Augustine though.

Before

After
Is this at 2 inches?
Yes that's at 2 inches. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.