Lawn Care Forum banner

Starting from scratch - Zone 5a

9K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  social port 
I would say instead of tilling go to local rental center and get a slice seeder (thatch) machine with delta reel blades like these in the top rack.

After the old grass is dead. Use that slice seeder (veritcutter)machine to rough up the ground nice and loose. Do this without the seed in the hopper. This will only cut into soil about .5 to 1 inch but will make a nice seed bed. Go over it several times in several directions. This can also be done with a thatch rake if you feel like working your guts out. Then spend day after day after day with some sort of drag mat leveler. A pallet will work or a 6 ft step ladder weighted down. Or even a homemade leveler made with 2x4s Drag this with some sort of motorized machine like a 4 wheeler or lawn tractor. You can do it by hand as well. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. This step will level your yard out and take the bumps out. Having a flat lawn even if it slopes will turn heads in the future. You will not regret all the hours you spend leveling before seed.

After that put seed down as outline above. Do not forget starter fert and peat moss or some sort of material to keep seed moist. Saw dust that is fine works for this if you have a source.

Then water water water. Multiple times a day. I would say more than 2 times. The golden rule to grass seeding..... "If it dries out..... it dies out"

Good luck. Please post pictures as you go along for us to see.

Depending on how out of level you are the "overseeder" is the one I would get from Robertson. It will knock down/till up stuff up to like one half inch or a little more (sorry metric folks for the non commitment of conversion). Kind of like a mini tiller. If you went over it like several times over and over and over again you can loosen up soil and drag high spots into low spots with the drag mat of your choice.

Round up first. Then wait until dead. Then mow and bag on lowest setting. Then power rake over seeder. Then level with drag mat or equivalent.

You COULD..... Till it up. But if you do then VERY shallow. Not deep. Only like an inch or 1.5 inch. If you till make sure you roll.

The slice seeder will look like this underneath. Just don't put seed in the hopper. It's basically a vericutter.

You could also just use a thatch rake and save the rental cost depending on how big an area you have.

I would do it now if it was me. Others might say otherwise. Some people are adamant about fall seeding but as long as you keep it cool during hot months with water you will be fine. I seeded my 20k lawn in June and a another section around April 1st. Its nice and full and super thick 2 years later.

-Underground irrigation if any (highly recommended if you can afford it)
-Grade and roll
-Grade and roll again
-Drag mat
-Drag mat more
-Drag mat more again and roll (dont skip the dragging leveling step)
-Seed down
-Fert down. Go with that "starter" fert if that is what you can find. Try to get one with mesotrione
-Peat moss light layer
-Water water water. "If it dries out, it dies out"
-Fert about 6 weeks later lightly

I totally agree with MQ. Your looking good. Next good stretch of weather go for it. Level/drag/roll it good and throw that seed, fert and peat, down.
Please take pictures and update us. Its nice to see your progress.

I have straight clay pretty much. The lawn grows just fine in it. The wizard would get mad at me for saying that but its true. I top dress with sand and my lawn has not turned to concrete yet. Imagine that. :lol:

I would get the black peat loam if it were me. Only a ever so light layer on top of the seeds. like 1/8th inch or slightly more. Only enough to cover the seeds and keep them from drying out. If you put too much down you will smother the seeds and they will not grow up through. I put seed down and rake with a feather like touch just to mix them into soil a tiny bit.

Its really quite easy. You will have bare spots when it comes up and you will have to work on it as you go along but in 1 year from now it will look great. (I like to tell people 24 months until its totally full,)

Yeah what @grassdaddy said.

If you have bare spots in about 2 months from seed down, or anytime for that matter, and want to re seed, just rough up the dirt with a thatch rake and throw down the seed then cover with peat. Add a little fert before you cover.

That is looking mighty fine. You will be pleased with the final result. No Mesotrione? No problem. 24D weed killer later will take care of that no problem after you have mowed 3 to 4 times.

Nothing like some good old fashioned work to remove a stump.

Dude..... You are golden. That looks beautiful. I promise you that you WILL NOT regret the leveling and dragging. Now you get to just kick back and wait.

Do not let it dry out. It needs to stay damp. Just don't over water or your seed will wash away.

And do not stress about weeds for now when they start to pop up.

You will know the answer to all your questions with time. You will be able to tell just by looking at it and feeling it.

As for weeds just let them grow if you can mentally handle it. I know that can be hard. You can spray for them later after about 3 mowing sessions. The weeds will die easily later with some spraying of 24d weed killer.

You can seed anytime later when you can clearly see that the seed did not take in that spot. Just use a thatch rake to rough up the soil first.

Been waiting for this update. Looking really good. Don't worry about weeds right now. Just focus on getting grass growing. After about 6 weeks after seed down do a light light app of fert urea 46-0-0.

After you mow about 3 or 5 times you can spray for weeds.

You could also add more seed now if you feel so inclined. Just add peat on top.

I think your progress looks awesome in the pictures.

24D is what you need for killing those weeds. Canada has really been failing our Canadian members when it comes to the helpful chemicals for a nice lawn that is weed free.

The only thing I could recommend is possibly mail ordering it and having it shipped to you.

I am sure the government is smarter than the rest of us and knows whats best for us like usual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.