Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the height of cut is at pro sports fields? I do realize that there is different species of turf at different stadiums across the USA.

I would like to know what they cut say KBG at Fenway or Yankee Stadium, PRG, or Bermuda at say.... Dodger stadium or the Diamondbacks in AZ. North grasses vs South grasses.

They stripe so well and look incredible. The lights from all angles I am sure helps but I would like to know if anyone here knows the answer to this question.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Fenway changes their HOC based on who they are playing against to throw the other team off.. how funny is that!

You can follow the groundskeeper here. They do a ton of work. His book is where he shares the sneaky HOC trick

https://www.instagram.com/davidrm3llor/

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Like you said Conner, I think it all depends on the stadium and the team on what the HOC is and the time of year. There are so many variables involved, it would be hard to get a consensus on it.

·
Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts
Bookmarked this when I came across it last year.

http://www.sportsfieldmanagementmagazine.com/field-equipment/mowing/mow-how/

Safeco field looks to keep their bluegrass at 1" HOC

·
Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts
wardconnor said:
They stripe so well and look incredible. The lights from all angles I am sure helps but I would like to know if anyone here knows the answer to this question.
From my experience, kbg stripes better at the higher HOC ~1.0". But it has an awesome feel to it as you get closer to .5" even though it doesn't stripe as well. Baseball fields like Wrigley, etc. will "Burn" in their stripes by mowing the same pattern for multiple times in a row to get them to pop. That's why they look amazing, and why you will see the same pattern for a whole homestand.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is all good info. I am figuring that the cool season species are cutting around 1" or so. This is what I thought before I asked but wondered if anyone on this channel knew for sure. Again there are a lot of factors that go into HOC and timing.

My cool season stripes better when a little longer but I like the shorter cut better for feel just like your saying Pete.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Our ballpark is Common Bermuda overseeded with perennial rye. This year we mowed at 3/4" but we will probably go to 1/2 or 5/8 next year. I would say most major league parks are at or under 1", even in the north. Anything over that and you end up with a slow spongy field that takes bad hops. We burn ours in with multiple cuts on same pattern. We generally keep the OF the same pattern and change up the IF once a week. We mow it 6 days a week from February to May.

·
Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts
GrassDaddy said:
I'm mowing the back at 1in and man it does look nice.. now I gotta figure out how to stripe it
And the close mowed turf addiction begins! :nod:

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Pete1313 said:
GrassDaddy said:
I'm mowing the back at 1in and man it does look nice.. now I gotta figure out how to stripe it
And the close mowed turf addiction begins! :nod:
Before you know it, he will have a Greens Mower :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can't talk about the USA but i read an article about the MCG here in Australia, and in summer when the oval is used for cricket it's mowed daily at 10mm (legend bermuda) in winter it's oversown with rye for AFL and mowed once a week at 28mm, and then gain the morning of the game

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
GrassDaddy said:
Fenway changes their HOC based on who they are playing against to throw the other team off.. how funny is that!

You can follow the groundskeeper here. They do a ton of work. His book is where he shares the sneaky HOC trick

https://www.instagram.com/davidrm3llor/
This is a great follow.

Really interesting stuff over the past few days since they have had a Greatful Dead concert on the field. Not to ruin it for anyone but they found a few piles of ashes on the field post concert. I guess multiple Red Sox fateful had the same last wishes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.