Lawn Care Forum banner

spreader recommendations

11K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  SCGrassMan 
#1 ·
Looking to upgrade form my cheap Scott's spreader. Any recommendation from members? Possibly looking for a commercial grade model. 50lbs capacity or more? 10K sq ft lawn

Matt

#7 ·
Another vote for Spyker. Pricey, but top quality. I have the 120lb model. Handles a larger yard well. It has a single opening which works better at spreading really small amounts of fertilizer, but also handles organics and higher flow items well. Also like that it has metal gears and grease points for servicing.

#10 ·
Pete1313 said:
Another vote for Spyker. Pricey, but top quality. I have the 120lb model. Handles a larger yard well. It has a single opening which works better at spreading really small amounts of fertilizer, but also handles organics and higher flow items well. Also like that it has metal gears and grease points for servicing.
+1 I believe I have the same model as Pete and love mine and it's a tank!

#11 ·
I just got my 2170 in yesterday, assembled it a bit ago, and was rather bummed to see that there's no side deflector control. I was under the impression that there was one on this model, but unfortunately there isn't. The Earthway deflector & rain cover is sold as a kit, and best price I've seen was ~ $58. I also found Spammage's post on ATY that has the conversion for the Pro shutoff, and total for that from ereplacementparts.com shipped is $44.96.

To those owners of the 2170, do you have a deflector? If not, how do you maintain your "domination" line with the neighbors, and also avoid throwing fert/seed where it shouldn't be?

#12 ·
Colonel K0rn said:
I just got my 2170 in yesterday, assembled it a bit ago, and was rather bummed to see that there's no side deflector control. I was under the impression that there was one on this model, but unfortunately there isn't. The Earthway deflector & rain cover is sold as a kit, and best price I've seen was ~ $58. I also found Spammage's post on ATY that has the conversion for the Pro shutoff, and total for that from ereplacementparts.com shipped is $44.96.

To those owners of the 2170, do you have a deflector? If not, how do you maintain your "domination" line with the neighbors, and also avoid throwing fert/seed where it shouldn't be?
I have the 2170 as well. No side deflector. I've practiced with it enough to learn approximately where to walk the edges of the property to get it close. But, I also kept my Scotts Edge Guard Mini just in case.

#14 ·
As an update, I still like the pro shutoff. It isn't perfect, but cuts material thrown in unwanted areas to approx 10% as compared to normal, while allowing me to get more even fertilization near the edges. Ideally I would like to add the deflector also to prevent the 10%.

#15 ·
Mightyquinn said:
Pete1313 said:
+1 I believe I have the same model as Pete and love mine and it's a tank!
I was just reading through this again and I have the 120 lbs Spyker Spreader. Still loving it after all these years and have never had an issue with it. I also like that I can set the Spreader from 0-100!

#16 ·
My Edge Guard is ready to retire and I want something with pneumatic wheels. I do not care for the 5 gallon bucket look, as it seems like material would be left behind after it dispenses all that is available and I'd definitely want a deflector. I found other Earthway spreaders that are more traditional in design with a guard (2050). Anyone have any experience with them?

#19 ·
Anyone use the Spyker SPR80 spreader? I've been looking at the Spryker SPR80 both in stainless and powder coated but can't find a price.

Also, the Chapin 8401C got my attention as well as some of the Earthway options.

Does anyone own an Anderson's Model 2000 SR spreader? Seeing the price, it seems they are VERY proud of that item. $730 for the stainless. I just don't understand what you get for that amount of money.

#20 ·
I'm going to throw in one more vote for the Lesco 80lb. I liked the ones we used on the golf course, and I now I own one too. It's also the model I see the most strapped, or perhaps just thrown, in the back of the lawn service trucks.

Supposedly the Anderson 2000SR is the end-all-be-all of spreaders. At nearly $800 it darn well better be! It does look like it comes with ALL the toys as far as deflectors and adjustables. But I'm pretty sure you could buy all the options for a Lesco and you'd have something comparable, for a couple hundred less, and the extra 25lbs of capacity. Plus the Lesco and the GC SpreaderMate sprayer are made for each other. :lol:

The only thing that stopped me from buying the Spyker, was the rear stands. I don't care for the peg style vs the loop, especially on soft turf with a loaded Spreader-Mate. It's just too much of an obvious design compromise for manufacturing cost.

#21 ·
@MasterMech The newer spykers seem to have switched back to the loop style, depending on the model selected. I concur on not being a fan of the peg styles.

The Anderson is more than I want to spend. I like the Lesco but I spyker seemed pretty solid as well. With that being said, I don't own any of them. I've got some POS Scott's entry level one that's getting on my nerves.

#23 ·

I saw this listing at 9pm tonight. I knew the brand of the spreader by the color combination. I messaged the guy and it was still available. I ask him if I can pick it up tonight? So, I drive 90 minutes one way to Grand Lake. It is a MINT Andersons AP2000 used only one time by the original owner. He formerly worked for Winfield Solutions/United and bought it at cost.

Earlier in the day...I almost bought a new Shindaiwa RS76 that was on sale for $250. However, the optional shield for the RS76 was going to cost an additional $80 that kept me from pulling the trigger. Glad I waited a few hours!!!

#24 ·
TulsaFan said:

I saw this listing at 9pm tonight. I knew the brand of the spreader by the color combination. I messaged the guy and it was still available. I ask him if I can pick it up tonight? So, I drive 90 minutes one way to Grand Lake. It is a MINT Andersons AP2000 used only one time by the original owner. He formerly worked for Winfield Solutions/United and bought it at cost.

Earlier in the day...I almost bought a new Shindaiwa RS76 that was on sale for $250. However, the optional shield for the RS76 was going to cost an additional $80 that kept me from pulling the trigger. Glad I waited a few hours!!!
Nice find!

#25 ·
TulsaFan said:

I saw this listing at 9pm tonight. I knew the brand of the spreader by the color combination. I messaged the guy and it was still available. I ask him if I can pick it up tonight? So, I drive 90 minutes one way to Grand Lake. It is a MINT Andersons AP2000 used only one time by the original owner. He formerly worked for Winfield Solutions/United and bought it at cost...
Incredible find. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.