Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My backyard is beautiful green Emerald Zoysia that loves summertime. What it doesn't love is rain because after it's done raining, the backyard is like walking on a sponge. Apparently, when the grass was installed, it was thrown on top of compacted red clay. There was no real prep and as a result, it takes two or three days for the ground to dry out. So I'm wondering what my options are apart from pulling up the grass and starting over with better soil prep. Will aerating take care of this any? I'm not losing sleep over it, and the grass looks great each summer, but just want to make sure I keep things healthy. Thanks!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Aeration will help for sure, that's where I would start and see what that does for you. I've got a ton of clay in my soil as well and I always see an improvement after aeration.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Txmx583 said:
Aeration will help for sure, that's where I would start and see what that does for you. I've got a ton of clay in my soil as well and I always see an improvement after aeration.
+1 on the aeration, for sure. I feel your pain on the Georgia clay, it can quickly cause compaction issues if not taken care of.

A quick tip to help when you aerate- I would go one way (long) and then supplement it with a perpendicular pass (lengthwise) over the rest of the yard. That should really help.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
You might want to add some sand after aerating too as it will help to firm things up a little and help in drainage too. You might also want to look into using a Wetting Agent/Surfactant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.