·
Registered
Atlanta | CitraBlue St. Augustine
59 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow, did you pre-germinate?
I did. Started the soak in the 9/18. Did fully submerged changing water every 12 hrs (not perfect), let drain in 9/25 for half a day (probably too long), and mixed the 3lbs of seed with 15lbs of milorganite to proadcast

Honestly, I had germination @ 6 days last fall, but I don’t think it was as widespread. Not that big of a difference from regular seeding.

If I do pregerm again, I’ll do the soak and drain method.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There are other options as well other than Milorganite, humichar as a carrier, low npk dosages of balanced fertilizer as well. I used Milorganite because it was cheap.
For those that are pre-germinating seed you can also add hydrogen peroxide on the final day to oxygenate the seed and remove the seed coating for better percentage of success on seeding. Lots of article on this on alot of seed types. I'll be doing this from now on for sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I seeded 500 sq. ft. in my back yard on Friday and I noticed a few sprouts this morning. Just 5 days after seeding. I'm surprised because I didn't pre-germinate; I was not expecting sprouts for a another week. I didn't even see sprouts in my Titan RX TTTF plot this quickly.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I seeded 500 sq. ft. in my back yard on Friday and I noticed a few sprouts this morning. Just 5 days after seeding. I'm surprised because I didn't pre-germinate; I was not expecting sprouts for a another week. I didn't even see sprouts in my Titan RX TTTF plot this quickly.
I don't think the sprouts are KBG. I think they are from some ARG seeds I put down last fall that never germinated. These sprouts are growing faster than the sprouts in Titan RX plot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update - Hopefully I will add pictures as soon as I find a cord
initial seeding 9/17 12 lbs spf 10lbs combat extreme 5lbs top choice TTTF ( Budget rainbird irrigation system 4 zones 1 in front timer hooked to faucet - 3 covering sides and back hooked to back faucet). I focused on front and side front as I knew I was going out of town in a week. I would only be able to use 1 zone on back faucet while I was out of town. watered all zones 2X 10am & 2pm 9/17 -9/25 then only front 2X and side 1X (basic auto timer limitations) Added 5 lbs TTTF & 2 lbs SPF on zones I knew I could auto water while away on 9/20
9/29 Reurned home (very patchy growth) Tropical storm IAN arriving today so I put down 5 lbs TTTF & 2 lbs SPF on patchy areas.
**Observation where sprinklers overlapped I was getting better growth so I deducted I was not watering enough. IAN misted for 6-8 hours perfect watering.
9/30 tilled patchy areas
another **observation - Previously I had sprayed Gly on about 20% of my yard to kill the really bad spots of weeds/bermuda these areas had little germination but it could also have to do with bad sprinkler coverage probably the reason for original weed and bermuda issues.
I have hoses not pipes buried for my irrigation system. I dug up/yanked 3 lines moved for better coverage and replaced some heads from rotary to sprinkler to extend range. I had 1 that sprayed down a slope (mistake). I moved it to spray uphill (huge difference do not water downhill if you can avoid it).
I then tilled all patchy spots and raked (Gly areas and low water areas). I originally only put down 1/2 my seed and ignored or lightly did zones that I knew I could not water when away. So I spread 15 lbs TTTF and 10lbs SPF (a little bit more than 1/2 of what I had left). Sprinkler coverage much better - rain from IAN - also manual watered areas from 10/1 - 10/8 I kept things wet not soaked but more than what I would call moist. Started seeing germination in redone areas in 4 days not sure if was from previous seed or from the newly laid seed kept wet.
10/9 cooler gloomy day my yard has been pretty wet for 10 days so I reduced watering in morning and did not water in afternoon since there was very little sun or heat
10/10 WOW GRASS POPPED OVERNIGHT ( coincidence sprout and pout or letting it dry really helped) - I will water 2X (20 min morn 5-10 min afternoon) for at least another 10 days until I am at 21 days from 2nd seeding then plan on going only mornings

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think the sprouts are KBG. I think they are from some ARG seeds I put down last fall that never germinated. These sprouts are growing faster than the sprouts in Titan RX plot.
10 days after seeding the KBG is definitely germinating now--seeing tiny sprouts everywhere. Here's hoping we don't get a surprise frost in Atlanta within the next week or so. It's been so much colder this year than last year at this time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I seeded SPF-30 Sept 17 (Raleigh, NC zone 7b) and I have had pretty good germination from day 10 onward, but what has germinated seems to still be in the 'sprout and pout' stage. Is this pretty common with SPF-30? How long does it usually last?

861 - 880 of 910 Posts