Lawn Care Forum banner
841 - 860 of 910 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Laz
Can you drop Tenacity and seed at the same time? Never used it. The herbicides I have used state to allow 2-3 weeks after application before seeding. Maybe double check the label.

My irrigation system allows 3 daily settings. I ran each zone for 5-7 minutes 3x a day with good results. If you're in a higher humidity area, it might not be needed. We run about 30% in the fall.

After two other attempts to seed using Outside Pride's recommended seed rate, I ended up dropping 5lbs/1000 to get the results I wanted.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everything I read said I could use Tenacity at seeding (pre germ) to eliminate any new weed seed found in the seed or topsoil. I am unsure if I apply the seed first or tenacity. I think I will spray with tenacity then put down seed then water.
I will kick up the Scotts spreader settings it says to use 4.5 I will go up to 7 or 8 for the SPF and 10 for the TTF.
Unfortunately I only can water two times automatically that is why I am depending on the cool mornings to push some moisture down in the morning. I will try to sneak an extra watering in here and there for the first 2 weeks.
Thank you for your input.
My neighbors all use Top Choice TTF and have good luck with it. I think I will lightly throw down about 20 lbs of it to help during the Hot months as it appears the SPF struggled in the high heat according to some of the post above.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did lookup the details on Tenacity after the post. Sounds pretty magical. And it doesn't appear to be picky about when it goes down.

From what you've outlined, short of a hurricane blowing up from the gulf and washing out the topsoil, you should have a good start on a great lawn.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you plan on using a starter fert sotts has a triple action starter fert with mesotrione (tenacity) included. I used this last time with great results. It should be readily available in your area at home depot stores. Good luck, I'm putting down the same seed. SPF30/ combat extreme southern blend.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well I threw down about 2lbs per thousand on 09/11 with peat moss loosely spread on top (should have evenly covered for better germination) when temps were relatively cool. I'm located north of Dallas near Prosper. Temps were in the 70's and 80's. I soaked the seeds for 2 days in pantyhose changing the water ever 12 hours (never had a foul smell like others have reported) then covered in about 6 pounds of milorganite mixed it and then spread it via a hand spreader. Also put out scotts starter fert. I am covering approximately 1600 sq feet. Went away for five days to Galveston and set it to run five times a day. The area that I am trying to cover has two areas. One on the west side that is covered by two large Chinese Pistache that shade in the afternoon and my house which shades the morning sun. It gets approximately 4 hours of solid direct sun; this is also the strip between my sidewalk and the street. The other area is in full sunlight as it is south facing with little shade from another Chinese Pistashe.

Yard looked great two years ago but began seeing Bermuda Mites two falls ago. Tried to eradicate them this year to no avail. Bermuda never looked great in the shady area just alive. Doing this all before I seed our backyard which is in heavy shade and receives about 2-4 hours of decent dappled shade. So far I am very impressed at this seed. I have never put out seed and this variety seems to have some neglect tolerance already. I experimented with two solo cups one of which had pre-germinated seeds for 48 hours the other did not. Both received equal conditions and saw faster germination with the pre-sprouted seeds.
last year

2020 looking good

SPF-30 sprigs doing nicely being baked at 94 degrees

I just pulled apart decaying raised beds in the back graded the soil and will be putting down this seed in the backyard shortly. I will post updates as they come up. Lessons I have learned already is that having peat moss down with good coverage really helps. I have since added another bag(3 total) and it has already made an impact in just a day. Looks like I'll be purchasing a peat moss roller shortly!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Adamg77 said:
Well I threw down about 2lbs per thousand on 09/11 with peat moss loosely spread on top (should have evenly covered for better germination) when temps were relatively cool. I'm located north of Dallas near Prosper. Temps were in the 70's and 80's. I soaked the seeds for 2 days in pantyhose changing the water ever 12 hours (never had a foul smell like others have reported) then covered in about 6 pounds of milorganite mixed it and then spread it via a hand spreader. Also put out scotts starter fert. I am covering approximately 1600 sq feet. Went away for five days to Galveston and set it to run five times a day. The area that I am trying to cover has two areas. One on the west side that is covered by two large Chinese Pistache that shade in the afternoon and my house which shades the morning sun. It gets approximately 4 hours of solid direct sun; this is also the strip between my sidewalk and the street. The other area is in full sunlight as it is south facing with little shade from another Chinese Pistashe.

Yard looked great two years ago but began seeing Bermuda Mites two falls ago. Tried to eradicate them this year to no avail. Bermuda never looked great in the shady area just alive. Doing this all before I seed our backyard which is in heavy shade and receives about 2-4 hours of decent dappled shade. So far I am very impressed at this seed. I have never put out seed and this variety seems to have some neglect tolerance already. I experimented with two solo cups one of which had pre-germinated seeds for 48 hours the other did not. Both received equal conditions and saw faster germination with the pre-sprouted seeds.
last year

2020 looking good

SPF-30 sprigs doing nicely being baked at 94 degrees

I just pulled apart decaying raised beds in the back graded the soil and will be putting down this seed in the backyard shortly. I will post updates as they come up. Lessons I have learned already is that having peat moss down with good coverage really helps. I have since added another bag(3 total) and it has already made an impact in just a day. Looks like I'll be purchasing a peat moss roller shortly!
How much faster was the germination with the presoaked?

·
Registered
143 Posts
@Adamg77 Question from the 2 days of soaking and the seed down, how many days did it take till you observed baby seedlings?
I'm using a mixed version of SPF30 and fescue and am trying to figure out a rough timeline on the soaking time 2-3-4 days as the fescue germinates a fraction sooner. Very nice looking lawn 👌

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lem855 said:
@Adamg77 Question from the 2 days of soaking and the seed down, how many days did it take till you observed baby seedlings?
I'm using a mixed version of SPF30 and fescue and am trying to figure out a rough timeline on the soaking time 2-3-4 days as the fescue germinates a fraction sooner. Very nice looking lawn 👌
Not OP, but I would say there's no perfect amount of days. I would shoot for 3-4 days as that's in the middle for KBG and right near the max for TTTF from what I've read.

I'm currently pre germinating 3lbs of SPF30 for an overseed of last years renovation. Grub damage got me hard this year as I didn't put down a preventative. I'm going for 5.5 days and will be seeding this Friday. I'm located in N Texas, Wichita Falls.

·
Registered
55 Posts
@Lem855 as @cokenner stated above I don't know if there is a perfect amount. I have never done this and am just experimenting so I can have a good reference of if it's worth it. From what I have read KBG takes a while to germinate so my theory is that this will as well.

To answer your question in the soaked seeds for 2 days I saw shoots at four days after spreading.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Adamg77 said:
@Lem855 as @cokenner stated above I don't know if there is a perfect amount. I have never done this and am just experimenting so I can have a good reference of if it's worth it. From what I have read KBG takes a while to germinate so my theory is that this will as well.

To answer your question in the soaked seeds for 2 days I saw shoots at four days after spreading.
Thanks for your response 👍 I'll be soaking this Friday with a hopeful throw down on either Monday or Tuesday as the weather is looking good for seeding in Arlington.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After reading through a lot of this thread I decided to give SPF-30 a try. My backyard's Bermuda has been struggling the last couple years due to a lack of sunlight and invasion of weeds (the later was my fault due to a crazy work schedule). Yesterday, I put down 8lbs of Outerside Pride seed over 2,500 sq ft (2lbs still I'm reserve) with Scott's starter fertilizer, after scalping and scarifying the Bermuda. I've got a four zone B-Hyve Bluetooth sprinkler system setup I hope will keep everything going while I'm at work. There isn't much rainfall forecasted for the next couple weeks 🤞

Here are a few pictures of the prep work, and ground after seeding and putting down straw. I really didn't want to use straw, but I was really concerned about the seed drying out. Excited to see what happens 😁

I left the Bermuda grass alive, because it's not my intention to kill it out. I'll see how the SPF does, and likely let the two grasses battle it out. The lone strip of green grass is Zoysia. I had some left over after sodding the front and intended to complete the back, but it's on hold right now due to budget.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Finally after Good weather the new seed is down, outsiderspride combat extreme southern zone with SPF30 and fescue.
I pregerminated the seed for 2-1/2 days and used scotts starter fertilizer with mesotrione (tenacity).
After results from my soil test came back I was a bit high in ph, so I used peat most and worked it into the soil prior to seeding to slowly lower the ph over time. I didn't want to use adverse quick substances to lower it as I have 3 dogs.
Let's hope for some quick sprouts in a few days and some thicker turf in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally after Good weather the new seed is down, outsiderspride combat extreme southern zone with SPF30 and fescue.
I pregerminated the seed for 2-1/2 days and used scotts starter fertilizer with mesotrione (tenacity).
After results from my soil test came back I was a bit high in ph, so I used peat most and worked it into the soil prior to seeding to slowly lower the ph over time. I didn't want to use adverse quick substances to lower it as I have 3 dogs.
Let's hope for some quick sprouts in a few days and some thicker turf in the future.

How long did you let the seed dry out after soaking, before spreading?

last time i pregerminated it was still too wet, even after mixing with Scotts, to use a drop spreader so I had to toss it by hand.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I
How long did you let the seed dry out after soaking, before spreading?

last time i pregerminated it was still too wet, even after mixing with Scotts, to use a drop spreader so I had to toss it by hand.
I used a 5 gallon paint paint straner bag for germination so when I removed the bag from the bucket I just placed it on the driveway to drain, I'd say no more than 5 minutes until I mixed it with 1 bag of Milorganite by hand. The seed weight was 9 pounds. It mixed up a bit moist but spread very easily in my scotts spreader.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The areas that I evenly spread out the peat moss are looking decent after 2 weeks. No additional fertilizer or inputs given aside from the initial starter fert and the added milorganite at spreading. After cutting the trial plot that I have growing in a red solo cup and seeing the increased lateral growth I will begin cutting at a low height.

I mentioned I am doing the backyard after seeing the impressive growth habit and shade tolerance of this grass. I performed the same steps as the front yard but this time did 6 applications of Glyphosate prior to seeding. I also soaked the seeds for 8 days changing the water daily. I never saw the seeds "chit" as mentioned in this article here. I do believe this will reduce the overall time it takes to begin seeing tissue growth. I will update later.
Plant Tree Road surface Asphalt Grass

West side update 17 days after spreading. You can really see the effect of the inconsistent peat moss application.
Plant Waste container Road surface Waste containment Tree

West side strip update 17 days after spreading
Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Grass

Test plot cut once germinated 09/06

I used a peat moss roller for the backyard and went over areas with poor germination in the front yard as well. The cooler temps have really helped with the germination in the front yard that initially had poor peat moss coverage.
Road surface Land lot Plant Fence Wood

Doing this portion which is on a terrible slope and sees lots of shade to the north. The north side of my fence also will get some seed to see how well it mixes with the bermuda.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What herbicides are people using? It seems like most are incompatible with KBG lol. I have spurge popping up and the only thing I can find to control it without knocking back the SPF-30 is MSM. Thanks y’all

·
Registered
143 Posts
Question for the group.
When should I apply sprayed urea in small dosages to newly germinated seed?
My seeding process had 20 lbs. Milorganite as my carrier for the seed and 1 small Scotts starter fertilizer with mesotrione/ (tenacity).
Should I even forget about using urea? I'm kind of puzzled if it's needed at all.
I've read that because of the short growing season people push it till closer to first frost. But with me living in Texas/DFW not sure if that will be a later window than most who do this process. I'm assuming that the urea is used for the deeper root growth stimulation before dormancy.
Thought are welcomed.
Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant Flowering plant

841 - 860 of 910 Posts