Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 915 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought 200lbs of SPF-30 hybrid bluegrass from Outsidepride. I did this because my original plan for a shade tolerant zoysia went out the window when they had a seed shortage and prices went to $1600 per 50 lb bag. So living in North Texas I needed something that was shade tolerant that wasn't St. Augustine (wife hates it). So what is shade tolerant and a warm season grass? Not really any of them. So I decided that a cool season grass was my only option as a shade tolerant grass. I read and read over all the cool season grasses and could not find one that I felt could handle the heat and droughts we get here. Then I came across this hybrid and it appears to have tested rather well in small testing categories but the SAT of Turf grasses (NTEP) doesn't have test results on this grass yet or hasn't even began testing it. There's also very little information on residential users results of this turf. So I decided to be a guinea pig of this hybrid grass and seed this a mono-stand of grass and document my results since this is the closest thing to KBG I'm ever going to possibly have success with in North Texas. Wish me luck and I'd love to hear your thoughts or recommendations since most of my time has been spent in the warm season side on this forum and in the yard.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@jakemauldin I have spf30 in my 5-way blend *** backyard. Not sure how it will do as a monostrand but my blend holds up well in my climate. We are dry and hot in the summers. On average, 5 degrees cooler then Las Vegas on any given day. Here is a pic last August cut at 2 5/8". This is the first year I'll be maintaining it at less than 1".

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Powhatan I most likely won't be able to install an irrigation system for a few years if at all due to GPM flowrate from the main. So that's good to know that it does seem to do well in drought. What kind of soil do you have it planted in?
@ronjon84790 First off your yard is impressive! Are you irrigated? I am concerned about the monostrand, that is the one thing I have not seen any articles about or even pictures of mono SPF30. Maybe when I make it happen I'll go viral as the first successful homeowner to grow a mono of SPF30HBG in Texas!! haha

·
Registered
277 Posts
I actually tried it with some midnight back in 2015 I think it was, on a partial reno. I moved two yrs after seeding. I was not really impressed actually. It didn't spread real quick and color wasn't up to what I imagined it would be. It might work differently for you in texas? I felt I read a lot of hype about it and was maybe expecting too much???

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
jakemauldin said:
I most likely won't be able to install an irrigation system for a few years if at all due to GPM flowrate from the main. So that's good to know that it does seem to do well in drought. What kind of soil do you have it planted in?
@jakemauldin I have sandy clay loam. My last soil test CEC # was 8.5 which is on the sandy side. I've been adding organic matter to help make my CEC # go up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did a monostand of Thermal Blue Blaze a few years ago in Washington DC. The color is not bad. It's darker than Thermal Blue and probably darker than SPF30. However, it was pretty unattractive, rather dull looking, and moderately thick bladed. Also, it never really formed a dense turf, but maybe that was my fault. I'll be interested in your results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in DFW also and looking at the Thermal Blue, SPF 30, and even Reveille (I bought some seed a couple of years ago).

Like you said, I have not seen much data on any of these. My decision is either Zoysia or one of these hybrids.

Keep us posted. I will probably start posting my progress soon.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I'm awaiting some results, I seeded it on 6/15 and the following morning we had 3" of rain from what was supposed to be a light drizzle with no accumulation. I'm hoping it didn't get wiped out. I feel like most of it should still be there. I seeded it along with Princess 77 in my (immediate yard 25k SF) the rest was planted with the SPF 30. The P 77 has started to emerge and make an appearance. I should see some SPF 30 in the next week I would think. I cannot find anything about the actual germination time frame for it. But I assume around two weeks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Because of a colossal screw up on my part I need to seed my front yard. Only thing in seven that grows is fescue and I think that would be a waste of seed in early July. I too have ordered spf30 and will let you know how it grows in Spartanburg South Carolina. If anyone has seeding tips please let me know

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
spartanlawn said:
Because of a colossal screw up on my part I need to seed my front yard. Only thing in seven that grows is fescue and I think that would be a waste of seed in early July. I too have ordered spf30 and will let you know how it grows in Spartanburg South Carolina. If anyone has seeding tips please let me know
Welcome to TLF.
Please don't seed now in South Carolina. Your seeds will germinate and then heat and disease will take your younglings away from you.
Target fall.
Have a close read of this overseed guide.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
I had some Thermal Blue in my mix I used for an overseed last Fall. We are just getting into Summer heat now, but I expect good performance for the area which is not regularly irrigated. I can't tell which grass is the HBG and which is regular Bluegrass at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they look about the same though. I'm excited about the idea of having a decently performing grass mix in that area. If it can make it in places like Texas and South Carolina, it should perform pretty well in Summer here in New England without too much issue.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had quite a bit of germination of the SPF-30 just shy of 12 weeks post seed down. I planted this in areas that I was not able to water frequently or at all. We have had temps mostly in the upper 90's since seed down and had very little rainfall since. It has started to cool off a tad bit at night in the low 70's and we have had about 1/2" of rainfall last week.
I did have a small area that germinated at initial seed planting and it greened up then once 100 degree days hit no matter how much water and care that area got it all turned yellow and I believed it surely had died, but with that 1/2" of rain I mentioned it just greened back up. So about the time I had given up on 1k dollars of SPF-30 here it comes popping up all over. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These pictures are all I have that show the progression of the SPF-30 that I planted since I basically thought it was a fail.
This first picture has it starting to green up in the small patch at the top of the picture "the patch all by itself".

Then this picture shows it heat stressed and at the time what appeared to be very dead. Not a single bit of green. And this was watered the same as the Bermuda since I was trying to push the Bermuda out that direction.

Then here's the SPF-30 making a comeback after some slightly cooler temps and a 1/2" of rain.
[/url]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just wanted to share as I am new to this group and in Fort Worth Texas, disgusted with my grass I wanted KBG. I did some research and found KBG SPF-30 ... so I thought I would try it.

Pics added are after 4.5 weeks. Growing grass you sure do learn to be patient as grass grows in heat :)

The grass is still germinating (3 seedings every 2 weeks with starter fertilizer).

Let me know what you think

Jeff

To be fare, when I first started it was 90-105 for the first 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 915 Posts