Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 50/50 blue rye mix that I did about 2 years ago.

The start of the year it was awesome, green and growing.

I have did dimension with fertilizer in the spring, added a starter fertilizer to get it going 2 weeks after.

I did a lime treatment and milo since. I can get dates if needed.

Long story short, everything was growing fine at the start but recently about every other blade of grass is brown. It s grows like mad and the green growth is evident after a few days, but after a cut it looks terrible. It is making me crazy and I just hope we can figure out the issue and correct it

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
I'm having a hard time zooming in on the pictures to see the browning, maybe you can take a close up picture of the grass blades with the most browning?

from the pictures I can see: It does look dull, and my first suggestion would be to sharpen the mower blades. If you're not getting a clean cut of the grass blades, the tips will be frayed and turn brown giving it an ugly appearance. The poorly cut grass blades also stress the plant and invite insects and disease.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Take them off and look for yourself. Make sure the angle is correct and the edge of the blade has a sharp corner. You'd be surprised how many people round off that corner from improper sharpening. That edge is the leading edge so if it's not square and sharp then it won't be cutting it'll be tearing.

There are lots of blades that look torn, and some of them even have stripes across them like they got hit by the blade but not cut. That will allow disease into the grass much more.

On top of that many blades do looked diseased so I'd get some fungicide down..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GrassDaddy said:
Notice the bottom corner how its round, no good:

vs

I will have to grab my blade and post a picture. I think I have some newly sharpened ones for the tractor as well as the one currently on the mower that I put on recently. He is old school and I never gave it a ton of thought, so maybe he is doing it wrong or just not well anymore...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Honestly I'm not up on the fungicides. I went to the local turf farm supply shop and asked and came home with what they suggested lol. The brand name was Eagle (i got generic). They said its a very good systemic fungicide that the turf farm guys are using. He did warn to alternate withsomethibg else to prevent resistence.

I do plan on learning more on that. Right now I'm studying weeds and weed killers.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a whole series of what I'm looking at. The double blades are freshly sharpened waiting to be installed on the tractor. The gator blade (fins) is what I recently removed and the other is the blade currently installed. Hope we can see all necessary detail to know if I'm good, bad, close. Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/Hhj3M

·
Registered
376 Posts
kolbasz said:
Here is a whole series of what I'm looking at. The double blades are freshly sharpened waiting to be installed on the tractor. The gator blade (fins) is what I recently removed and the other is the blade currently installed. Hope we can see all necessary detail to know if I'm good, bad, close. Thanks

Those look fine to me. What I've found is even a new sharpened blade can shred some grass when everything's flushing and lush. What you have looks fungal to me. Obvious lesions in those pics. Possibly leaf spot and/or dollar spot...tough to say from those pics.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will definitely replace the tractor blades next cut, then get the rest re sharpened by him.

The ones where there are 2 I can tell are sharp, way sharper than the rest. Start there I guess.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GrassDaddy said:
Honestly I'm not up on the fungicides. I went to the local turf farm supply shop and asked and came home with what they suggested lol. The brand name was Eagle (i got generic). They said its a very good systemic fungicide that the turf farm guys are using. He did warn to alternate withsomethibg else to prevent resistence.

I do plan on learning more on that. Right now I'm studying weeds and weed killers.
Is eagle the generic like this?
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/eagle-20ew-specialty-fungicide-p-1359.html

Or is there a generic of eagle. I did not see it so could be in the wrong place.

Thanks dude! Im only here because of your YouTube channel

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha, found it. http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/myclobutanil-20ew-to-fungicide-p-16654.html

Guess this is the generic equivalent. My issue is that it is literally the entire front (6k sqft) and back (7k sqft) minus some areas that are ok, so I need a lot based on the mix rates. Or, I just hit it all again with a heavy propocanziole 14.3 and surfactant, then get this in the off season for next year. At least try that path first.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You want 1.2oz per k, so that's ~16oz per app. Which 4 apps in a year would be half a gallon. Now you might not apply it 4x, that's just what the guy at the seed shop told me 2-4 apps depending on the conditions. (remember, you should rotate it with another fungicide wether it's chem or bio)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.