Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I was going to try the Johnson's and Johnson's baby soap shampooing method. I always get stress spots and I wanted to see if this inexpensive method will help the water absorb better and allow me to go longer in between waterings. The question I wanted to get another set of eyes on is my method of application. I have a Brookstone car wash hose end applicator that has measurements on it. I was trying to use this just because it was laying around and I haven't used it in about 5 years. I did some tests with it as you would with any hose end applicator. Here is what I found but I'm not sure how to manipulate it to get my desired amounts down. I know what some of you are thinking - just go buy a real one and I will if I can't figure out how to use this one. :lol:

My tests:

I put blue food coloring in the "soap" container and added 3oz of water to use as my testing liquid.

I found that it takes about 5 minutes to completely empty the 3oz of blue water out of the container.

I then found it takes about 45 seconds to pump out 1 gallon of water.

I wanted to apply 3oz soap/1 gal of water per 1,000 sq. feet. So I would need to cover 1,000 sq. feet in 5 minutes but I would be applying over 5 gallons of water in that 1,000 sq. feet. There isn't any other adjustments on the hose end applicator that I can play with. Any ideas on how to use this because the application doesn't have to be as precise as other chemicals applied but I wanted to get close to my mark. Thanks-

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
You could dilute the soap some more but the more water you put down with the soap the better as it will help it work it down into the soil. I think you are fine with where you are at. How many sq/ft are you applying this to?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mightyquinn said:
You could dilute the soap some more but the more water you put down with the soap the better as it will help it work it down into the soil. I think you are fine with where you are at. How many sq/ft are you applying this to?
I have about 5,800 but I round it to 6,000 sq. feet. Right now, I'm at 3oz of soap to 6ish gallons of water per 1,000 sq. feet.

So you're saying just keep it where it's at and spray her down or dilute the soap more?

If I dilute the soap more I'm putting down less soap but the same amount of water... I dunno what's better.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Lawndad said:
Mightyquinn said:
I have about 5,800 but I round it to 6,000 sq. feet. Right now, I'm at 3oz of soap to 6ish gallons of water per 1,000 sq. feet.

So you're saying just keep it where it's at and spray her down or dilute the soap more?

If I dilute the soap more I'm putting down less soap but the same amount of water... I dunno what's better.
I don't what I was thinking with the whole diluting the soap thing :shock: I think you will be fine with the set up you have as long as you don't mind spending that long hand watering the lawn.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mightyquinn said:
Lawndad said:
Mightyquinn said:

I don't what I was thinking with the whole diluting the soap thing :shock: I think you will be fine with the set up you have as long as you don't mind spending that long hand watering the lawn.
I may just shampoo the backyard as a test to see how it compares to the front and because that's where most of my stress spots pop up. That shouldn't take me that long then. Thanks :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I've definitely contemplated just getting 10 bottles of shampoo from the dollar store and just squirting them on all of my bad spots (LDS, Swale) just before one of our big rain storms. Any reason not to?

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I had a half bottle left from when I last used it in a hose end sprayer. I dropped it all on a 10ft section at the top of my front hill. We're having storms tonight so I figured why not. We will see how badly my front lawn smells like "Ocean Breeze" in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
SGrabs33 said:
We will see how badly my front lawn smells like "Ocean Breeze" in the morning.
It wouldn't happen to be Suave shampoo would it? :D

I buy that for my kids to use since they seem to like to waste it :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.