Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I've been looking at what sprayer options to go with the more I really want something that's a self propelled walk behind.

With all the companies out there, it's really hard to find every option available.

Here's the sprayer that I'm interested in.
http://proedgesprayer.com/PE-B.php

I'd like to stay below 2k and trying to avoid a used stand-on/permagreen

Drift management would be a bonus

· Registered
778 Posts
Do you already have a spreader you are very happy with? For your budget you get get a Spyker or Lesco spreader and a Gregson Clark Sprayer mate B (about 1060 delivered including Hi capacity pump and battery , they credit everything you upgrade completely) Then you would have a nine gallon tank instead of eight and the same 80inch spray width.
You could also use it with an Earthway 2170 or similar spreader.

I looked at lots of Z sprays used but they are too high. At least $5K for a decent one and closer to 10 actually.

· Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be using a cheaper($100) spreader so I can replace that every few years as It will get much less use than a sprayer.

Trying to stay away from using a Gregson Clark sprayer because I'd have almost 1k into it.

Really interested in something self propelled.

· Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
3,258 Posts
That pro-edge looks like a mighty fine unit, but could use another couple gallons in the tank. It doesn't mention being self-propelled. I'm guessing that's why you're still looking. Have you gotten a price yet? I'd be very surprised, and jealous, if that unit sold for less than the SM + Lesco combo.

For 8k of lawn, I'm curious, why the self-propel? Are you dealing with slopes? The major advantage of going with a self-propel would be controlling the travel speed. But adding one to a walk-behind spreader or sprayer chassis, would pretty much net you a Perma-Green unit.

During my own search, I tried looking into multiple options to try and avoid the Spreader-Mate's price tag. But every time I came back to it because while it's expensive, it puts everything you need for a quality W/B sprayer in one tidy package, especially if you want to run a multi-nozzle/boom rig. And I wanted a Lesco spreader anyways, so the extra cost of the spreader was there regardless. Converting another walk-behind spreader to run more than two nozzles meant a pump upgrade, then I needed to worry about battery life, and I'd have two walk-behind tools in my garage instead of one, and, and, and.... you get the idea. For my 20k of course I wanted the boom kit for it too. So, yeah, I have waaaay more than $1k in my spreader/sprayer rig. :shock:

· Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's propelled by a 12v wheelchair motor/battery regulated to 2.5mph. Seen prices posted on some commercial forums for around $1700 but I'm waiting to hear back to confirm.

https://youtu.be/vvzbhavg4U4

· Registered
778 Posts
Here is a self propelled simple one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xiFLcfCpec&t=261s

My thought is that if you were going to go to that much expense , get one you can ride on which is necessary for my oversized lawn.

· Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going from 187k sq ft to 8k. Downsizing everything and trying to buy once cry once kinda deal. This subject has been the worst to make a decision on. But I've come to the conclusion if I'm spending 1k on a sprayer I'd rather pay more to get exactly what I'd want.

· Registered
778 Posts
I hear ya. One additional comment I would make is that rechargeable tools have often disappointed me. Either the battery failed (most of those disappointments were NiCds) or I didn't keep it charged or the battery got a little old and had lousy capacity.(and twinked before the job was complete)If you are going to get it self propelled get one with a nice Honda engine. I think those never disappoint if you don't mistreat them. Both the wheelchair motor and the pump might be a big load on the battery but if it is properly engineered it could work.

The one pictured in the video above is a hydro and he has a four wheel retrofit kit with its own video. I think they are sold with four wheels now.

There is a guy in Indianapolis offering a Z spray walk behind that is both a spreader and a sprayer. I came close to buying that one but the guy wasn't very responsive. It's on Z sprays used equipment page. Of course they don't make that one anymore.

I lucked into a reasonably priced used Lesco Chariot. So far so good. I am going to use my Sprayer Mate this week. (So far haven't seen any Forsythia here in St. Louis)

· Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They got back to me and the price is $2600+ s&h but that seems unrealistic. The search continues,

I'll try a few places over the pond that I've found and see what else they have to offer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.