Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a spring renovation with Champion GQ PRG. I believe I may have areas of too much Scotts Triple Action for New seed, bleaching some areas.

My question is whether those areas will recover or will need to be reseeded?

·
Registered
98 Posts
(I suck and didn't read the details well)

I should have read better.

Taken straight from the Scotts Triple Action site info and I believe its on the back as well.

WHERE NOT TO USE
- Do not apply to newly seeded or sodded areas until after the 4th mowing.
- Do not seed, sod, rake or aerate for 4 months after application.
- Wait 5 months before applying the product on newly sprigged areas.

I actually just advised someone else about this product and how it really shouldn't be used around seeding or reseeding.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate your response. I think maybe what you are referring to is a regular back of Scotts Triple Action.

I did a bit more research and the information indicates that bleached grass most commonly PRG should turn back to green after 14 days, but Im not sure if newly germinated grass that was never green and is currently white and maroon will eventually turn to green. Overall germination has been good.

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
I'm going to assume the active ingredient acts similarly to mestrione (ai in Tenacity and Scott's Starter Fert). It can be used at time of seeding to control weeds. Bleaching is common and goes away after the first couple of cuts.

To my knowledge, it is common for PRG to initially sprout a reddish/purple colour - similar to what I see in the last photo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Harts said:
I'm going to assume the active ingredient acts similarly to mestrione (ai in Tenacity and Scott's Starter Fert). It can be used at time of seeding to control weeds. Bleaching is common and goes away after the first couple of cuts.

To my knowledge, it is common for PRG to initially sprout a reddish/purple colour - similar to what I see in the last photo.
Thanks for the reply. Hoping for the best but not too big of a deal if I have to throw down some more seed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm curious how this turned out. I picked up three large bags of the Scotts 3x for New Seed to use for my renovation in a few weeks and have been reading about similar experiences with the white sprouting.

I'm wondering if I should apply at a half-rate, or maybe apply a week before I put down seed to give the meso some time to dissipate?

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
This is more of a complaint about the product description at the big box website vs the actual product, but what are the three actions in this triple action product? i see:
1. mesotrione (tenacity) for pre-emergent
2. 21-22-4 fertilizer
3. ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thejarrod said:
This is more of a complaint about the product description at the big box website vs the actual product, but what are the three actions in this triple action product? i see:
1. mesotrione (tenacity) for pre-emergent
2. 21-22-4 fertilizer
3. ?
3. Increase revenue for Scotts company.

The bag says "prevents - starts - feeds" so I think they mean for the fertilizer to have two actions, the starting and the feeding. I guess calling it "Scotts Double Action Fertilizer" makes it seem like it has 33% less actions. I'm confident Pennington will one-up the arms race with a "Quadruple Action" someday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.