Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used this? I know many folks frown on Scotts products, but this gets pretty good reviews from most folks(except the ones that cannot follow the directions and their concrete gets stained). It's ~$20 a bag that covers ~5k sq. ft.

Also wonder how this might compare(on paper or in theory) to MQ's greening solution-MQ? Or anyone else that knows chemicals??

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
J_nick said:
j4c11 said:
J_nick said:
I buy 40# bags of 40-0-0 100% slow release for $22.50 before tax. It has 4% iron
From....?
Local seed co-op
That's a great price for slow-release + iron, but I'm not driving to OK for it :D
I went to a large local supplier of fertilizer multiple times to ask for coated urea and they always look at me like I'm from another planet.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Alan said:
Anyone used this? I know many folks frown on Scotts products, but this gets pretty good reviews from most folks(except the ones that cannot follow the directions and their concrete gets stained). It's ~$20 a bag that covers ~5k sq. ft.

Also wonder how this might compare(on paper or in theory) to MQ's greening solution-MQ? Or anyone else that knows chemicals??

Actually, that is not a bad fertilizer to buy besides the inflated price. It only has 23% slow release and the SGN(Size Guide Number) is fairly small, so it is less likely to be picked up by your reel mower. It also does NOT have Poly coated Urea which can get caught up in your mower and break the cover, turning it into FAST release Urea. I don't think Scott's fertilizer is bad, it's just over priced is all.

The iron that it has will be taken up by the roots and will give "some" darker greening effect but nothing like a foliar applied app of FAS. It would definitely be a good 1-2 punch for the grass :thumbup: by using them in conjunction with each other. I always look for Fe(Iron) in fertilizer when I'm purchasing it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If you don't know where to buy local lawn stuff, try searching for scag/stihl/walker/exmark dealers. The shop around here that has the pro grade equipment is where I can also find the pro grade supplies super cheap. That tackifier covers an acre and was $20..

I also found an Agway that I didn't know existed, and that's where I get my Urea and some of the other organic type stuff geared more towards homeowners. Their selection is completely different than the box stores. Either way I gotta make it a day trip cuz it's at the southern tip of the state and beach traffic is a nightmare lol

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
GrassDaddy said:
Either way I gotta make it a day trip cuz it's at the southern tip of the state and beach traffic is a nightmare lol
:lol: This made me laugh!! You live in Rhode Island!!! It's the size of a postage stamp :D

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Yeah the traffic can be insane. Our highways aren't designed for the number of people driving on them now. Some stretches of highway are still a single lane, so you have MA and CT/NY people vacation here and then it's a nightmare. My chiropractor changes his hours during the summer based on the beach traffic.

But in the winter the roads are clear! lol

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
Alan said:

Actually, that is not a bad fertilizer to buy besides the inflated price. It only has 23% slow release and the SGN(Size Guide Number) is fairly small, so it is less likely to be picked up by your reel mower. It also does NOT have Poly coated Urea which can get caught up in your mower and break the cover, turning it into FAST release Urea. I don't think Scott's fertilizer is bad, it's just over priced is all.

The iron that it has will be taken up by the roots and will give "some" darker greening effect but nothing like a foliar applied app of FAS. It would definitely be a good 1-2 punch for the grass :thumbup: by using them in conjunction with each other. I always look for Fe(Iron) in fertilizer when I'm purchasing it.
As a side note if you have high PH soil, iron will not be taken up by the roots!! Foliar application is preferable.... ran into this situation here in Lubbock with high PH soils

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Good point Mr Meaner!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I purchased some before I started this thread and I'm going to give it a go. My lawn needs something to green it up-it is pale in comparison to some of y'alls lawns. It's volunteer/common Bermuda, so maybe it will never get as super green, but I'm going to give it hell. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.