Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my grass is just puttering along. I feel like its because i put too much fert, tepac all at once, but my whole neihborhood has a general yellowing.
I did some studying on chlorosis and i really feel like thats whats going on. We have gotten a TON of rain in north alabama. Sometimes it rains 3-4x a day. It could be all the rain is washing out nitrogen and/or iron (leaching). Or, it could be a fungus.
I decided to split a small area up and apply: 34-0-0 to one area, iron to another and anti fungal to the third.
We shall see.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I live in Decatur. My Tiflawn is green, but nothing spectacular. I throw down 3 bags of Milorganite every four weeks. That equates to 1.15 lbs. N/K. I also spray 6 oz./K Blade Iron every two weeks. That adds 0.11 lbs. N per application. I do not use a growth regulator. I don't know how much rain we have had, but I can tell you that I have mushrooms growing in my lawn. I have only used my irrigation a couple of times all year. It definitely needs to dry out. My Tru-Cut leaves wheel marks because of the soft ground. I mow twice a week at .75 in. I do notice the general yellow appearance in the neighbors yards. My next door neighbor uses Trugreen fert and squirt, but he adds fertilizer on his own. His is as green as mine, but that's the only one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iriasj2009 said:
Following, I really think your issue is a combination of rain and PGR slowing everything down
I agree. I'm not sure what I did wrong with the PGR, but I'm tempted not to use it again. If it is a nitrogen or iron issue I should see immediate changes by the time I get home today.

·
Registered
859 Posts
ajmikola said:
Iriasj2009 said:
Following, I really think your issue is a combination of rain and PGR slowing everything down
I agree. I'm not sure what I did wrong with the PGR, but I'm tempted not to use it again. If it is a nitrogen or iron issue I should see immediate changes by the time I get home today.
Maybe you didn't do anything wrong, but with all the rain, your lawn was prob stressing and you're not supposed to apply a PGR to a stressed lawn. Let's see the results of your experiment.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That certainly fits. So far absolutely no difference in the differently treated sections.

Control area:

Nitrogen area:

Iron area:

Anti-fungal area:

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's only been two days. Give it some time. For the iron app, most iron products contain some nitrogen. The Blade Iron that I use is 6% Fe and 15% N (from Urea). Also, I've (we've) had rain both days. I put down Milo on Monday and Blade Iron on Tuesday. It is definitely greener this morning (Saturday).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I put down a little too much T-pac for my first application this year. I had just bought a new push sprayer and didn't have it callibrated very well..........anyway..........this looks exactly like what I had a few days after applying it. We also had a ton of rain.
It took around 2 weeks to clear up despite me putting down an application of fertilizer.

·
Registered
859 Posts
booneatl said:
I put down a little too much T-pac for my first application this year. I had just bought a new push sprayer and didn't have it callibrated very well..........anyway..........this looks exactly like what I had a few days after applying it. We also had a ton of rain.
It took around 2 weeks to clear up despite me putting down an application of fertilizer.
+1

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
mrigney said:
Wait...so we have at least four folks in the Huntsville/Madison/Decatur area on the board? Pretty good representation on here!
And that's just on this one thread. Anyone figured out what's caused the yellow grass yet? I am pretty sure mine is due to overwatering. The sprigged areas where the lawn isn't as dense, have no yellowing. The most dense areas of coverage are the parts that are yellow.

Aaand more rain. Yay!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe we should have a monthly meeting!
I'm fairly sure at this point the PGR is the culprit + the rain.
My guess is it will take 2 weeks or so to wear off? I'm thinking about doing a mid season scalp once that happens

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Day 3

Control

Nitrogen

Iron

Anti-fungal

I think the nitrogen is greening up a little

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.