Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I love working outside on the lawn I never get excited about sweeping the floor. With 2 kiddos always going in and out the floor could be swept daily but who has the time for that. I know very little about these magic floor cleaners other than I've heard of Roomba. I've been searching through Amazon and the Roomba 650 seems in my price range, 4.5 out of 5 stars and Prime eligible ($49 dollar savings) :thumbup:

I would like to hear from anyone who has a robotic vacuum of any brand. We don't have any carpet downstairs so it would be on tile and hardwood 99% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Our friend have one that they bought off Groupon and they seem to like it a lot. The collection bin is really small so it may need emptied every few days depending on the mess. When we installed wood flooring in our kitchen/dining room, I was on the fence between the Roomba and Dyson V6 absolute. Ended up going with the Dyson since it's more versatile as we can use it for small things too. I can do the whole floor in less than 5 minutes. It doesn't last long using the "Max" feature but long enough to do the floor. They did come out with a V8 shortly after I bought mine which has longer run times. I do have to admit we are Dyson fans so I'm sure that played a part.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The problem with robots, they don't know about the smear factor. With little kids or dogs if it runs when something smearable is on the floor you could end up with poop on every inch of floor space. Hence:

Notice the spinning flicker thingy? Apparently that rubbed the dog poop along the walls too..

·
Registered
163 Posts
With the inability to do much outside during the winter I've turned to doing things inside the house. We recently acquired another Golden Reriever and the dog hair/ dormant bermuda tracked in has skyrocketed. Even with vacuuming/Swiffering daily the floors were not up to par.

In comes iRobot's I7+. They definitely are not the Roombas of the past. They map out the floor of the house and now literally cover every inch of floor. It does a better job around edges of the baseboard and furniture than I could get with the sweeper or Swiffer. It also only needs emptied about once per month... it goes back to its docking station where a secondary vacuum empties out the smaller Roomba bin and it's good to go for another run. I set it up to run while we are at work every day so I never have to see it run.

Definitely a time saver. Now if they had one that could do the stairs...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
We have the 980 for the main floor of the house. Bought it 2 yrs. ago. last few months it is finicky.
Stops half way thru a clean, is getting very noisy, The sensors have to be cleaned regularly to keep it running normally. I just ordered a new dust bin for $149 to solve the noise issue. I can't see it lasting more than a couple more years.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I have owned a eufy 30c for a couple months now and we love it. We use it downstairs which is all hardwood and tile with a few low pile rugs. It does a fantastic job, especially at its price point.

eufy [BoostIQ] RoboVac 30C, Wi-Fi, Upgraded, Super-Thin, 1500Pa Strong Suction, 13 ft Boundary Strips Included, Quiet, Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner, Cleans Hard Floors to Medium-Pile Carpets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D75MVX9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6P0mCb54X7T4S

·
Registered
68 Posts
Part of the deal in getting a dog was that we had to get a robot vac. We got an Ecobee Deebot from Costco but took it back after a week because it wouldn't make good connection on its charge base. Other than that it worked good.
So, I went to the top of the line i7 and it has been great. Does what it is supposed to do (we only have hardwoods)except when it finds a kid's stray sock or.....
My dog, here, is roomba friendly, however the roomba is not so puppy poop friendly. I got a frantic call from my wife while at work, and yes, the roomba became a fertilizer spreader in the house. She cleaned up the house, I got to clean the roomba. I must say, it it well designed with modular parts that are easy to pull and cleanup or if you had too, replace. The head, wheel assemblies are straightforward to access.
I've been using it for about two months now. I use a shop vac to empty the base bag so I don't have to replace it as well as clean the filter on the vac, extending it's use. Definitely a good (but expensive)purchase. My house stays more clean than before getting a dog.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Rocking 2 iRobot 860 vacuums. No wifi which is a plus for me/don't want to pay for a feature in don't use. The rubber rollers are easy to maintain. Does a good job on all surfaces. I even want to raise one bed like a few centimeters to allow the upstairs one underneath. Run them on a schedule just before we get home.

Shop around for refurbished ones. Got both for half price or less when we shopped one model old+refurb. BestBuy of all places was the place to get them cheap.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I have had several roombas and liked them, but... the new s9 is plagued by problems. I had one that I returned as it developed an internal error within a couple days and could not be fixed. That is apparently a common issue that requires a replacement. I expect irobot will stand behind the warranty, but in my case I just returned it as it was within 30 days of purchase. I'm still using the old 960 that I have. If you want irobot, the i7 is supposed to be very good, or wait for the next model roomba to come out later this year.

I am also curious what people are using.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Eufy 15C bought last spring and it does a good job. We bought it for $208 when it was on sale. Right now it's on sale for $176, maybe I'll buy one for upstairs. We have 2 dogs but they are both non-shedding. The biggest thing is the dormant bermuda they would track in the house or the clippings in the summer.

·
Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
3,192 Posts
bernstem said:
I have had several roombas and liked them, but... the new s9 is plagued by problems. I had one that I returned as it developed an internal error within a couple days and could not be fixed. That is apparently a common issue that requires a replacement. I expect irobot will stand behind the warranty, but in my case I just returned it as it was within 30 days of purchase. I'm still using the old 960 that I have. If you want irobot, the i7 is supposed to be very good, or wait for the next model roomba to come out later this year.

I am also curious what people are using.
I have a Roomba 980i that has been continuously in service since early 2018. Call him Lightning McLean and he refuses to quit. Something happened a long time ago where we had to replace his bin assembly. I tore the boot that connects the bin to the body in some heavy-handed maintenance cleaning, my bad. Recently hooked him up with a new battery as we are challenging his max sq footage and since he's the upstairs bot now, he's on carpet 90% of the time. Only complaint is that he's loud, especially in an open floor plan with hardwoods and while he has the ability to map out the house, his memory is very short lived. (new map for every job) Every day is a new day for Lightning. :lol: He can't be programmed to go clean certain rooms like the newer vacs. All or nothing. The low-tech method of using a door to confine him works pretty well though. :mrgreen:

I looked into getting an assistant for the 980 last year and even with all the problems, bought an S9+. Self-Empty is the bomb. This is the feature you've been waiting for. In our house (3 boys, 1 dog, myself, and a long-haired female) the bag fills up maybe once every 3 months. The original bot had the dreaded Error 31 after about 30 days that cannot be fixed. Due to back-orders, covid, etc. iRobot was not able to get replacement robots (which had been upgraded/fixed) out to existing owners for 2-3 months. They did everything reasonable to make it right, but poor Lightning was pulling double-duty there for a couple months. I could see major frustration if you did not have a backup bot like we do. But I'm the patient type, like the features and carpet performance of the S9, and understand manufacturing issues. The replacement has been in service for 3 months or so now with no major trouble. The S9 dislikes thick rugs/carpet where the 980 doesn't complain. The S9 does sit slightly lower to the ground and has wider rollers so more drag on carpet/rugs. The S9 is very quiet especially compared to the 980, I don't mind the S9 running while we are home unless it's quiet time.

Both robots need maintenance from time to time. General cleaning, a filter change, clearing hair from the rollers, replacing the rollers from time to time, etc. It's about a 15 min investment every month. One reason I have stuck with iRobot despite imperfections, the performance on carpet/rugs is unmatched. They patented their dual roller design and this makes them much better carpet cleaners even if they don't have as much raw suction as some competing models. Their roller design is also shown to need less maintenance than others in environments where there is long-hair as the design discourages winding around the axles. It still happens, but I've never seen one of my bots down because of it and clearing the axles of hairballs is a very easy task.

The other reason I stuck with the S9+ and iRobot despite the known problems is the linked clean feature with the M6 mop. No matter which robot I run downstairs, the Mop automatically starts after the vacuum bot finishes the whole job (more on that in a minute). This makes for a long day of robotic cleaning and I do wish that the mop would start after the vacuum is finished with a room rather than waiting for it to finish a 3-4 hour complete clean. There are workarounds like breaking up your floorplan into shorter jobs and running them on alternate days but it just seems to me that the linked clean feature could function a bit more intelligently than it does currently. Side Note: the M6 mop is very, very good. Covers expansive floor plans and has made a visual difference on our floors for sure. I also have a little Bravva Jet 240 that is pretty slick for mopping the couple rooms that the M6 cannot travel to. (Master bath upstairs is surrounded by w2w carpet.)

Downsides to any robot vac is the tendency to wear on the corners of any rugs that are exposed. I have corner stiffeners on many of the rugs and haven't given into using adhesives on most rugs but the wear is becoming pretty apparent after several months. It was worse in the beginning before we really went after anti-curl solutions. Also, if you have thick floor substrates and less than standard clearances between the bottoms of your cabinets and the floor, might want to double check the height of any vacuum you're considering. The 980 occasionally gets pinched in the upstairs master bathroom and while it doesn't stop him very often, it certainly slows down the job overall as he reverses and steers to escape the predicament.

One minor downside to iRobot stuff is the inability to work in the dark. They are visual navigators (VSLAM) and need at least dim light to navigate well. Something to consider for closets, bathrooms, basements, etc that may lack much in the way of natural light. In a not-so-distant future, I can imagine where the robot interfaces with smarthome automation to turn on a light via a smart switch or dimmer while it's working in a room. LiDAR bots don't need light, but they also don't know your couch or bed from your walls and so may not reach these hidden areas (a key advantage of using a robot) or may navigate inefficiently when presented with certain situations. Another iRobot disadvantage is the lack of obstacle detection for something like a cell phone charging cord on the floor, pet mess, etc. They rely on bumping into things to realize there's an obstacle and this can present major problems if there's an unexpected or hidden pet mess, an overfilled water bowl, etc. It doesn't have to be bolted down but if it's likely to smear, tangle, or spill, it's something you may want to engineer out of the equation.

If iRobot does indeed release some new models this year, I'd be interested in replacing the 980 with something quieter and a little more intelligent. (sorry Lightning!) Obstacle detection via front camera would be a welcome addition as would HomeKit integration.

My in-laws have an i7, I like it, it's not as good in the corners and lacks the raw suction power the S9 has. But it's everything I like about my 980, and has many of the features of my S9 (just as quiet and now has a self-empty option) without the dreaded Error 31 problem. It just lacks the power and that makes the S9 a better choice for hard floors IMO.

·
Registered
488 Posts
What are folks using in 2021? Why, the flying Roomba! Goes up stairs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA2yIVFb2lI&list=RDCMUC7yF9tV4xWEMZkel7q8La_w&start_radio=1&rv=wA2yIVFb2lI&t=175

I have an old roomba 660. Nothing fancy about it but it does keep the floor clean. One thing to keep in mind is that these types of vaccuums will not get the really deep carpet dirt. They just dont have the suction. So every so often you'll still need to get the big vaccum out.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.