Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I decided to switch from fescue to bermuda so on May 7 I applied generic roundup to my entire yard. I used an ortho hose end sprayer and hit most of the yard. I did have to spray some areas that I missed.

May 13, at first I thought it wasn't going to kill the fescue which surprised me.

May 21, everything is dead except for some common bermuda but it pretty much dies off later.

On May 22 I mowed the lawn as close as I could mow it, aerated and verticut the entire lawn and broadcast the seed and milorganite fertilizer

May 30, here come the weeds. If I had to do it over, I would have ran the sprinklers for about a week to see what came up and hit it with a second round of roundup.

About 7-9 days in I started to question everything I had done because I couldn't find 1 blade of bermuda. I even e-mailed the company I bought the seed.

June 1, day 10 I finally found some. Of course it was in the last place I thought it would start germinating.

If anyone could confirm what these weeds are I would appriciate it. I believe most of it is crabgrass and spurge.
June4,5

I bought some quinclorac and 2 4-d and plan on spraying Saturday June 10.

June 8, bermuda

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Before spraying read this article. http://turf.uark.edu/publications/factsheets/Establishing%20Seeded%20Bermudagrass%20on%20Lawns,%20Golf%20Courses%20or%20Athletic%20Fields%20MP477.pdf

The quinclorac will be the safest. You shouldn't spray 2, 4D when temps are above 85 degrees which I know I'll be close to 95 this weekend

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
I believe 2, 4D will have some residual effect for a few days after you spray even if you wash it off. The quinclorac will do broadleaf and grassy weeds so I'd put the 2, 4D away for now. The article I linked says it safe to spray quinclorac 1 week after emergence. Emergence is when 75% of the seedlings in a stand reach 1/2" tall.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
rhanna said:
Will quinclorac kill spotted spurge?
The label I was looking at didn't have it listed. 2, 4D does have it listed but it will also injure Bermuda if it's above 85 degrees up to a few days after spraying, and that's established Bermuda I have no idea what it would do to a young seedling.

What kind of 2, 4D do you have? Straight 2, 4D or is it a 3 way product like (2, 4D + dicamba + mecoprop)?

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
Have you read The Bermuda Triangle

With Celsius and Certainty (Vitamin C for Weeds :D ) you could kill any weed you have and not have to worry about temperature restrictions or even identifying weeds.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Mightyquinn said:

With Celsius and Certainty (Vitamin C for Weeds :D ) you could kill any weed you have and not have to worry about temperature restrictions or even identifying weeds.
Celsius shouldn't be sprayed on seedlings until 4 weeks after emergence.

Certainty is good 1 week after emergence.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
J_nick said:
Mightyquinn said:

Celsius shouldn't be sprayed on seedlings until 4 weeks after emergence.

Certainty is good 1 week after emergence.
I know the weeds can be annoying during grow in but why not just wait the specified time for the herbicide and spray knowing you will get almost complete kill and the Celsius also has some residual control too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I sprayed quinclorac on the areas with crabgrass and then added 2 4d in the last gallon to hit the area with a ton of spurge. At this point, I might end up killing everything in that area but the Bermuda will die anyway if I just leave it covered in spurge. I have about 5 lbs of seed left anyway that I'll throw down if I need too.

I just noticed a couple of nutsedge popping up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Came home today after being away this week.

There are a ton of weeds but the bermuda is coming in ok. My spray of quinclorac was very streaky. I plan on mowing what I need to tomorrow and throwing down some fertilizer. I may spray more quinclorac next week. There is a large area in the back yard where it doesn't look like much bermuda and just a ton of weeds

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
How far along are you after seeding?
I was like you i had the itch and just had to spray something to kill the crabgrass.
In hindsight I probably should have waited. I think I seeded 5 days before you did. with Yukon bermuda.
Read my renovation.
Even though you have a lot of weeds SO do I.
this year we will be at war with weed infidels.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dropped seed on May 22.
I've sprayed quinclorac but it didn't kill all of the crabgrass. Sprayed 2-4d in some areas that has spurge.
I'm noticing a lot of different kind of weeds that I didn't remember being in my yard before I killed everything.
I think I'll spray the green streaks of weeds on Tuesday but probably spray heavier. The good news is I don't think it even stunted the Riviera at all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in Gallatin. It's nice to see others in the area going through the same thing.
I think i mixed 1.5 ounce per gallon. I couldn't find anything on the 2-4d so I did an ounce in a gallon.

It looks like we'll get a good amount of rain tomorrow. I threw down some starter fertilizer this morning.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Get ready for everything to take off and grow fast after putting down fertilizer. My Yukon is really starting to spread. I think its to hot to put down anymore 2-4D. Might need to get Celsius once your grass grows up out of the teenage years.
What do you use to cut your lawn?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tellycoleman said:
Get ready for everything to take off and grow fast after putting down fertilizer. My Yukon is really starting to spread. I think its to hot to put down anymore 2-4D. Might need to get Celsius once your grass grows up out of the teenage years.
What do you use to cut your lawn?
I have personally never experienced any detrimental issues spot spraying 2-4d or a three way product with the temps above 85 on Bermuda. It will cause some yellowing but within a week or two it's back to normal. Although newly seeded grass might be a different story

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A couple of pics
After the 2nd cut. I use a Honda rotary mower and cut it at 1.75
I'm nervous about going lower because I seemed to hit the ground a lot when I was scalping the dead grass. Maybe next time.
This is probably the best spot in the yard and also where I had a lot of double coverage of the sprinklers.

Weeds, I believe this is goosegrass but I don't know for sure. My plan is to spray some roundup directly in the center but I'm not sure if that will kill it since roundup is supposed to be sprayed on the leaves. If anyone could confirm I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I was thinking last night about what herbicide I should buy to help kill weeds this summer and I started to wonder how much the pre-emergents do to control weeds. I'm not necessarily talking about the perfect yards but yards that have very few weeds, do the owners really 99% on pre-emergents and just spot spray a couple of weeds if they pop up?
I don't really like dumping so much herbicide on my lawn. It seems like something like Celsius is meant more for spot spraying but if I used it, I would have to nearly spray a blanket application.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.